Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The management process demystified

Over/Under does Joe Jr last longer than Rixon? He's like a bat out of hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Over/Under does Joe Jr last longer than Rixon? He's like a bat out of hell.
      Sounds like somebody burned him, yeah. But he hasn't said anything yet that would get him banned; quite the opposite. Maybe there's an opening coming up in the Union leadership or something, and he's putting in his dibs. Anyway, three cheers for anybody trying to crack the system -- without using the system. I'm a rebel, too.

Comment

I've also heard that many actors won't consider anything until there's an offer of money. That their agents will insist on seeing the escrow account. Hell, I've even heard that some A talent won't even READ a script unless there's 50 K in it for them.

And as far as that having any weight with the studios, well most top level actors these days have their own production companies, and most of them mean absolutely nothing to the studios either. In fact there was an article about that somewhere once upon a time.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          Agreed. This guy is gold.
          every so often we get a dogtown or charisma or billy dood just busting with enthusiasm to teach us about the business. he'll soon burn out just like the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
            But how many actors are there that can get a film greenlit? Five?
            i think there's more than 5 actors who have their own production companies. the key is writing a character that they desperately want to play.
            and the true indie scene has a whole different set of a-list actors to pick from.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
              i think there's more than 5 actors who have their own production companies. the key is writing a character that they desperately want to play.
              and the true indie scene has a whole different set of a-list actors to pick from.

What I mean is just about every actor out there has their own production company but that doesn't mean squat to the studios in most cases.

Comment

OP is obviously taking a leaf out of the book of his 'father', Joe Eszterhas (note CORRECT spelling) a seller of some truly horrible scripts ('Basic instinct' was perhaps the exception) and whose philosophy on how to be a screenwriter is well documented in his extremely entertaining book, The Devil's Guide to Hollywood: The Screenwriter as God.

[bargain 4.72 at Amazon]

Comment

It's a great book!

Comment

Joe, the management process can't be demystified; it's mysterious. An agent is cut and dry. They do what they do and we all know what *that* is. But a manager... does many things...

...things you need. As in getting you signed by an agent much easier than a cold query sent in the night. Which is the least important thing he does.

He also goes out with samples occasionally... to get a few fans on your table where an agent moves usually to sell. Which sometimes gets you an assignment or two; paid of course-- surprise-- by directors who've just read your sample. And prodco dev execs too are included here. During these manager generated meetings things happen for you.

And when he goes wide or packages... which he can do if he chooses; he does it, most likely, with your new agent he's had you sign with. This depends on the needs of the project and each is different.

Your manager should be your biggest fan and pitches your work to those who'll like it or are a good fit. Everyone needs this.

Your manager knows what *not to write* and tells you-- BEFORE you write it. He knows what's out there or in production. His finger's on the pulse. Yes, sometimes everyone takes a little too long and something breaks before you're finished but that's the game. Find a manager with good sense, instincts and taste; all are different.

For me a manager was the best decision ever. Why? HE OPENED DOORS.

As for agents... they're always there. Your manager pulls them out of a hat when the time comes.

Some people dump their managers when they've started working and have an agent. In many cases these are the writers you hear about saying they don't need managers. I have one thing to say about these people:

They should learn the meaning of loyalty. Most importantly learn this is a small town and everyone counts. For me, the bigger the team the bigger the success. If you're blessed with a good manager *and* agent-- you'll do well; very well.

I know Mike Esola. He's calculated and methodical. He started out pushing comedy then moved to tent poles as Brooklyn Weaver began to send clients. He started with things he knew would sell easily, grew his reputation and moved onto riskier projects.

Kind of like starting with a manager... you build your reputation *with* them. I know you all discuss the "over night successes" often. Those who seem to land an agent and off they go. Well, most writers endure a process to succeed. A manager, if you're lucky, endures with you.

Comment

With a manager, you can submit to production companies you wouldn't otherwise have access to. I've queried a number of places directly who have responded that they will only look at material submitted by a reputable agent or manager. Even if you end up up doing a lot of the legwork yourself, that right there is reason enough to have a manager. Not to mention all the other reasons listed in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                        What I mean is just about every actor out there has their own production company but that doesn't mean squat to the studios in most cases.
                        no, they don't. really only a few have legitimate production companies. sometimes an actor will create one just for one particular project.
                        Even if you end up up doing a lot of the legwork yourself, that right there is reason enough to have a manager. Not to mention all the other reasons listed in this thread.
                        so true.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Eszterhas Jr. View Post
                          You mean having your script held up. Don't you?

You aren't taking about selling it. Are you?
                          You never answered my question, do you work in the industry in some capacity that would give you insight into the selling process?

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                            You never answered my question, do you work in the industry in some capacity that would give you insight into the selling process?
                            He hasn't answered your question because he's spent the last two days doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTuvKMddPlw

Comment

Originally posted by Gauchita View Post
                              Joe, the management process can't be demystified; it's mysterious. An agent is cut and dry. They do what they do and we all know what *that* is. But a manager... does many things...

...things you need. As in getting you signed by an agent much easier than a cold query sent in the night. Which is the least important thing he does.

He also goes out with samples occasionally... to get a few fans on your table where an agent moves usually to sell. Which sometimes gets you an assignment or two; paid of course-- surprise-- by directors who've just read your sample. And prodco dev execs too are included here. During these manager generated meetings things happen for you.

And when he goes wide or packages... which he can do if he chooses; he does it, most likely, with your new agent he's had you sign with. This depends on the needs of the project and each is different.

Your manager should be your biggest fan and pitches your work to those who'll like it or are a good fit. Everyone needs this.

Your manager knows what *not to write* and tells you-- BEFORE you write it. He knows what's out there or in production. His finger's on the pulse. Yes, sometimes everyone takes a little too long and something breaks before you're finished but that's the game. Find a manager with good sense, instincts and taste; all are different.

For me a manager was the best decision ever. Why? HE OPENED DOORS.

As for agents... they're always there. Your manager pulls them out of a hat when the time comes.

Some people dump their managers when they've started working and have an agent. In many cases these are the writers you hear about saying they don't need managers. I have one thing to say about these people:

They should learn the meaning of loyalty. Most importantly learn this is a small town and everyone counts. For me, the bigger the team the bigger the success. If you're blessed with a good manager *and* agent-- you'll do well; very well.

I know Mike Esola. He's calculated and methodical. He started out pushing comedy then moved to tent poles as Brooklyn Weaver began to send clients. He started with things he knew would sell easily, grew his reputation and moved onto riskier projects.

Kind of like starting with a manager... you build your reputation *with* them. I know you all discuss the "over night successes" often. Those who seem to land an agent and off they go. Well, most writers endure a process to succeed. A manager, if you're lucky, endures with you.
                              That comes pretty close to shining a light on the management mystery.

NICE WORK!

Comment

Working...
                              X