No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query letters / synopsis versus visual summary

Hi everyone!

My new visual summary of my last project: It's a story about Johnny Depp and his dog problem in Australia:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-dog-smugglin/

I like the idea that a producer or agent can get a quick grip of my screenplay by watching a visual summary of my screenplay instead of reading a query letter a synopsis or a whole screenplay.

Watching this visual summary shall be like watching a movie. A producer don't read query letters / synopsis anymore, instead he watches visual summaries to decide if he likes the story of the screenplay or not. Such a video should be not too long. My video is 7 minutes long and contains Act 1 and Act 2 - the story has 4 acts.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know what you think about my story and my visual summary.

I also like to know what you think about the idea to present a screenplay in a visual way. It means more work for a screenplay writer but I'm sure it can enhance the chances to find buyer.

Thank you for your time.

Hans

My visual summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQahN3katI

Last edited by Hans Gruber; 07-11-2017, 08:02 AM.

Re: Query letters / synopsis versus visual summary

Nice in theory but:

I think a 7 minute long video is 6 minutes more than a rep or producer wants to spend on a query.

A rep or producer wants to be able to read the query wherever or whenever, like waiting for the person they are having lunch with to show up or on hold for a conf call, even on a boring conf call. Videos aren't good for that.

If you are a writer, send a written query. Videos are for directors.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
      Nice in theory but:

I think a 7 minute long video is 6 minutes more than a rep or producer wants to spend on a query.
      Then they should try 33 seconds. I did this video to pitch a screenplay I wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYCRq2l4kw

Comment

So, I finally stopped watching at the 3 minute mark. If you can cut this down to 2 minutes you might actually have a shot at someone looking at it.

Is this is a comedy or action movie?

Either way, with the **** they keep putting out someone might actually take a chance. Hell, just send it to Johnny directly.

Good luck

Comment

ewtaylor,

It shall be like watching a movie. I think 7 minutes are okay. It's not very long. By watching my video they shall became an imagination of how this can be a movie. It's a visual treatment of a the screenplay.

It's a comedy with some fights.

I don't have the address of Johnny.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Gruber View Post
            Then they should try 33 seconds. I did this video to pitch a screenplay I wrote:
            What unsigned writers think they should do and what they will actually do are two very different things. Again, why is this a video and not a written query? It's hard to hear so had to watch twice and I still don't know what it's about. Something about "Is the life of one man worth a million?" then "Where do you hide the president?" So I'm guessing (never a good thing in a query) that someone threatens to kill a million people somehow if the president doesn't do something (surrender? kill him/herself? I don't know but what would hiding him/her have to do with it?). There's no protagonist, so sense of scale etc. and you apparently only want to sell it to Universal. Pass.

You are a writer so convey your concept in writing. The video is inconvenient and adds nothing. It also says May 2016 so I'm guessing you sent this out some time ago, so how many script requests did it generate?

Comment

Northbank,

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Comment

Working...
              X