Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #11
LauriD

Default Re: Who wants my Medieval Swashbuckler??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbet View Post
I know the period movie genre is a tough sell, so that's why I'm asking for help. I've queried a lot of managers, and got too many "sounds great, but not for us" responses.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an agent or producer that might be looking for something like this, and may want to take a look at my script?

Knights? Vikings? Villians? Anyone?
Get a subscription to the Done Deal sales list and do some searches. (You'll probably find things under action/adventure -- not historical/period.) Also check out recent Black Lists.

If you can hype this as a "reboot" of a well-known story (cf. Alice in Wonderland, Snow White and the Huntsman) you've got a better shot than if you utter the dread word "period." ("Period" scripts sell all the time and do well at the BO -- see "Sherlock Holmes," "Alice," etc. But somehow that word is still the kiss of death: "period" = expensive and boring with no market appeal -- even if none of that is true. Anyone want to explain that perception??)

You also might want to enter some contests to validate your opinion of the script and earn some query ammo if you win. The first Page deadline is coming up in January, and that's a great one. (I won the Silver this year in action-adventure, so I can vouch for their good taste. )
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Tom72
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicide View Post
It's your first script. Much like sex, your first effort probably isn't the best you're capable of. Not to say it's impossible to kill it the first time out, but usually it takes a few times to really get the hang of it. Also, much like sex, you shouldn't get too hung up on your first time. Don't obsess too much, and start to experiment with other stuff. You don't want to be a one-trick pony who has one story to tell.

Also, much like sex, writing will often leave you emotionally drained, curled up in the fetal position and weeping while voices in your head castigate you for being weak and worthless. Maybe that's just me.
LOL! Love the analogy. No, it isn't just you.
Tom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Lucha Scribre
Regular

If you are in a writer's group with screenwriters, have you tried to filter contacts through them?
Lucha Scribre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Sherbet
User

Maybe it's because everyone has seen at least one "period movie" that was a yawner - Jane Eyre or something. Very BBC... And then there's the vernacular - who wants to hear "I prithee, wherefore, my maiden's stocking caused the gentlemen to swoon" etc.

But this is not like that, and I will enter it in the Page contest.

Thanks LauriD. For your good avice, may you be rewarded tenfold.
Sherbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Knaight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbet View Post
Maybe it's because everyone has seen at least one "period movie" that was a yawner - Jane Eyre or something. Very BBC... And then there's the vernacular - who wants to hear "I prithee, wherefore, my maiden's stocking caused the gentlemen to swoon" etc.

Thanks LauriD. For your good avice, may you be rewarded tenfold.
It has more to do with budget. Period pieces cost a ton to produce, and are generally not four quadrant pictures. That's why they're a tough sell. That said, if you've written the next NOTTINGHAM or GALAHAD, keep working at it.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
LauriD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
It has more to do with budget. Period pieces cost a ton to produce...
But they don't, necessarily.

HBO did "Rome" and "Deadwood" on a TV budget (ok, a HIGH TV budget, but still...)

Westerns don't cost much -- there are plenty of existing sets, even entire towns, and you can rent the wagons, costumes, and horses -- cheaper than racing Maseratis through Manhattan, anyway, and people don't turn up their noses at action movies on the grounds that they're "too expensive."

Science fiction is usually more expensive than period, and that genre isn't dismissed out of hand.

There's this wierd bias that the minute you say "period" people think "Remains of the Day" instead of "Sherlock Holmes" or "Alice in Wonderland."
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #17
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriD View Post
There's this wierd bias that the minute you say "period" people think "Remains of the Day" instead of "Sherlock Holmes" or "Alice in Wonderland."
or they think PMS not a good bloody image if i say so myself.

Quote:
It's been reviewed by a bunch of screenwriters with a lot of experience. I go to a group. ***
not enough.
you need good reputable coverage.
you need to attend some pitchfests and get face to face feedback from industry players.
you need a manager for an expensive project like this.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote