Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Amen Patron
New User

Question Movie Deal

I own the rights of an Individual that a major company in interested in making a life rights purchase. I proposed/they agreed to share executive producer credit but the only thing I have a problem with is the Producer cut. They are trying to offer me 25k only for producer because I have no prior production credits but I would be offering more input than the other 2 producers involved. Does anyone know the standard amount or percentage for production with a major for with and without experience.
Amen Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Hairy Lime

Default Re: Movie Deal

I'd suggest you contact the Producer's Guild. I'm sure they have standard minimums just as the WGA, DGA, and SAG do. As a first time producer you may not be in a position to ask for more than minimum unless you think they'd rather pay you what you ask for than lose the story.
Hairy Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Hasil Adkins

They don't have minimums. They're not a union, they're a 'professional association' or something.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Hasil Adkins

And, Amen Patron, I think you're getting screwed. I'd get an entertainment attorney pronto.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
BROUGHCUT

The Producer's Guild have also introduced strict credit criteria. I think a few high-profile producers have left because of this? As Hasil says, the PGA is not a collective bargaining unit, despite being called a "Guild". They can't enforce minimums.

Amen, AFAIK you can't really own life rights of an individual, pesky 5th Amendment issues. You can own a release from liability, which may be exclusive, but that doesn't stop someone else making a film and arguing their right to do so if the subject decides to bring legal action. The other producers may not need you at all so be careful what you hold out for.

25K just happens to be the industry standard development fee--are you sure it is the producing fee?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
tiggyhere
New User

Can't you write the story yourself? Then take it to a production company for co-production sale (you have a better chance of a additional credits that way) or go directly to the network or studio through your lawyer. If the concept that is really in demand...go to the top.

Don't get screwed around with Procos that are looking to make a name for themselves on your story.

By the way, an Executive producer credit is more of a creative input credit. With the "Producer" credit , if the project is successful...they will make the most money. ie...when an oscar is won the "producers" get the Academy Award not the "executive producers."

Last edited by tiggyhere : 05-05-2006 at 02:33 PM.
tiggyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
Copywriter2
Regular

Just to clarify, is this for a feature? I'm curious because I have a similar situation, but it's for a MOW. I optioned the rights to a true story and a producer is currently trying to set it up. I'm assuming the 25k is for a feature, but MOW $ would be much lower. Thanks.
Copywriter2 is offline   Reply With Quote