Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
warrenP

Default ProdCo Naming

Hey folks,

I have an odd question, at least it sounds odd to me. The question is around the naming of a ProdCo.

I have a few businesses, all formed in Illinois, where I live. They vary between LLC, S-Corp, and C-Corp. Two of the companies have multiple DBAs using other business names. With one of my companies we do business worldwide, about 45 countries or so, and I'm pretty familiar with our local laws regarding business names and dba of business names.

I could register a WarrenP company here in IL, and you could do the same in your state, without problem, unless I did business in your state prior to you and had registered the name.

My question then is in the naming of a ProdCo. Since the end product I am working on is a DVD that will be sold all over the place, do I have to worry myself about the DBA I use for the ProdCo name? (Obviously I'm not talking about naming it something already well-known). There are so many small ProdCos, I'm not sure how to go about name checking this.

Is this making sense at all? The last thing I need is a legal hassel over something like company naming, but I've been in business plenty long enough to see such legal problems.

Is there a registered ProdCo name list, for lack of a better phrase?