Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
kidcharlemagne

Default Re: Smaller studios/prod co's looking for animated features?

There are production companies/financiers in Europe who are involved in smaller budget animation features. Best way to tap into these contacts is to go to Cannes. I've only dealt (unsuccessfully) with the major US animation studios but I would look at animation houses that are financed by film funds, independent financiers. Film Tracker gives out information on how various companies are financed etc so see if you can get access to that or check out the HCD and google the various companies, see how they are financed.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
beerbeastredux

Thank you Done Deal Pro. That IS all I asked about. unfortunatly, a lot of people don't READ the things people post. They INTERPRET.

So yeah, smaller companies.
beerbeastredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Lillith
New User

I know doing animation "on spec" generally sucks. BUT even though most major studios have their slates all planned out, they've been known to acquire projects with a great sizzle reel. Fox has done that. But you would need to produce that reel and make it exciting. Therefore, teaming with a good fx house or artist may help. Regency has also been known to consider such projects in the past as they often co-fi them with Fox. Hope this helps.
Lillith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
maralyn

Well, I thought I was being helpful.

The producer is still the one to get on board first. From my experience. But Beerbeast doesn't want to collaborate, he seems to want to be the one in control of everything, so an fx facility who likes his ideas, I guess.

But there are such things as animation producers. Often the way they get a project financed, it to package it, script, stroyboard, team, facility (or s-m-a-l-l-e-r studio), as well as produce the first few minutes of it.

maralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
Archive

To my knowledge, Imagi Entertainment is the only company in the US (it has ties in Japan) producing "teen" animated content, but right now it seems they have their hands full with Gatchaman and Astroboy. TMNT was a success, but a modest one. American audiences are still choosing Finding Nemo over action animation by financial multiples of ten. If you want to try your luck with them, the creative decisionmaker is a fellow named Paul Wang.

Other than that, I'd recommend looking into French animation companies. They seem to have a less concrete definition of what sells and what doesn't in animation.

For the record, as someone with extensive experience FINANCING animation, trying to produce an animated film in America that is not family oriented and does not have a vast pre-built in audience, is financial suicide. Even broader films in this vein, like Titan A.E., Atlantis, Treasure Planet and Sinbad have sunk studios (where is Fox Animation now?) and those with seemingly large audiences, like Final Fantasy, likewise did not tow the line. TMNT has vast pre-built in appeal, and parents recognizeit as a kid-friendly brand, so it got a pass. Will Gatchaman and Astroboy be as successful? Are they a safer bet than Final Fantasy, in terms of automatic appeal? Much as I might dig the movie, something original in that vein is not an investment I would encourage people to make, in strict terms of risk and reward. It doesn't add up.

I'm not saying you don't have the one fluke that changes everything. I'm saying nobody looks for the one fluke that changes everything. If you have animation experience, you're ahead of the game. If this is a passion project, my recommendation is that yuou learn something about the business side yourself, and get producing, redux! Better yet, find a way to sell them what they actually are looking for, and take all the financial risk yourself. That means the financial rewards are yours as well, and if you're the only one who can truly see what America is demanding, those rewards will be huge. But if you're the only one who can see the truth, don't be mad at others for not acting on it.

To me, the box office numbers speak as loudly about what America wants as anything. Some of those movies were very good. They weren't all mis-marketed. People just didn't want to go. They want actors in their action-adventure, it seems.

So if it must be American, the folks who agree with you are Imagi. Personally, I suggest French studios.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #16
Lillith
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
For the record, as someone with extensive experience FINANCING animation, trying to produce an animated film in America that is not family oriented and does not have a vast pre-built in audience, is financial suicide. Even broader films in this vein, like Titan A.E., Atlantis, Treasure Planet and Sinbad have sunk studios (where is Fox Animation now?)
Ahem... Where's Fox Animation? Same place it's always been. ICE AGE? SIMPSONS? ALVIN...? It's no Pixar, but doing pretty good, actually. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Lillith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
beerbeastredux

Cool running...

*bows before you*

Thank you sir. Thank you very much.
beerbeastredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
NYNEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeastredux View Post
Cool running...

*bows before you*

Thank you sir. Thank you very much.
I didn't save active list, but I can tell how to find executive producers who deal in animation.

Go to www.imdbpro.com Type in animated films that are remotely similar to what you're doing. Go to the credits and look up the contact information for the producers and executive producers. Contact them directly.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
Archive

Lillith, Ice Age and Robots were Blue Sky productions, financed and distributed by Fox. Simpsons is not done by the same animation team as the old X-men cartoons and Titan A.E., although I forget their name. Alvin was not an animation house, it was effects and post-production.

Fox Animation, the animation company based out of Phoenix, is no more. Titan A.E. caused Fox to liquidate and divest from animation production, and now it's all outsourced or acquired.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
Scott M
User

The guys at Nerd Corps Entertainment (www.nerdcorps.com) sure look like they enjoy their jobs, not sure about submissions.....
Scott M is offline   Reply With Quote