Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #571
CJ Walley
Member
 
CJ Walley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 458
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
Not saying there'll be anything sinister, I do appreciate what the site is doing. But all a second review could do at this point is stroke my ego.
Understood. Although if the problems are minor, there's the chance the second review may score it a lot highly. Standard deviation is supposed to be something like just 1 point difference but I've personally seen variation as high as 4 points on one of my scripts.

I respect where you are though, when you hold yourself to a high standard, have all those dreams in your head, love your script, and you know you need an eight to get anywhere, a five can feel like a really kick to the gut.

But believe me, a three is like a kick to the balls.
CJ Walley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #572
bmcthomas
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 790
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuart View Post
Understood. Although if the problems are minor, there's the chance the second review may score it a lot highly. Standard deviation is supposed to be something like just 1 point difference but I've personally seen variation as high as 4 points on one of my scripts.

I respect where you are though, when you hold yourself to a high standard, have all those dreams in your head, love your script, and you know you need an eight to get anywhere, a five can feel like a really kick to the gut.

But believe me, a three is like a kick to the balls.
A fifty dollar chance. You could lose a lot of money chasing that eight.

I see my BL experience as another contest, just one that handed out the results in two weeks instead of several months. I didn't make the quarterfinals. Or maybe semis. This analogy is a work in progress.
bmcthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #573
Craig Mazin
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,142
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
Isn't there a chance I might get the same reviewer that way? I'm annoyed I accidentally gave him a three star rating than a 2. The complaints he made were minor so it just baffles me why it's a 5. Some of it seemed to go over his head.

Nothing against BL, I just hate the opinions of the derps that get hired as readers.
General bit of advice.

Don't talk like this.

You can think it all you want. But let's be clear: either the reader is right and your opinion of your own script is off-base, which is bad, or the reader is wrong and isn't good at evaluating scripts, in which case further reviews will likely be better.

Either way, asking for feedback (paid or unpaid) and then complaining when you don't like it is a bush move. If you want to be a professional screenwriter, understand that many of your days will be filled with negative feedback you find inaccurate, counterproductive, even ignorant.

Don't whine about it. Ever.

Start to learn how to quietly compartmentalize it in your own mind. You simply won't survive otherwise.

Even if you're with a group of writer friends, unless you're playing a light-hearted game of "what's the worst note you've ever received?", keep it to yourself.

Why?

90% of the time, people will hear your whine and say something encouraging...

...while thinking "his script stinks and he's delusional."

I mean it.

Complaining about bad reviews is a no-win.
Craig Mazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #574
TheConnorNoden
Member
 
TheConnorNoden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

I know all your points are right. Maybe I should have took the time to get over it but instead I was out for blood. I might have made myself look bad but at the time I just needed to get it out there. I might get the second review and I guess we'll see if I am delusional. I'm my own biggest critic anyway. If anybody wants a read to see if I'm justified or an asshat let me know.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #575
Landis26
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 658
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Can you delete a script on the BL and upload a different one, if you still have a few weeks left on month?
Landis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #576
TheConnorNoden
Member
 
TheConnorNoden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

I guess, you'd have to ask Franklin if that's an option. I'm sure other people have been able to do it.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #577
jcgary
Member
 
jcgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

I hope you're all exploring other avenues for getting your material read while you're pouring over the Black List 3.0 site and trying to figure out if you should get a second or a third read or upload a new script...
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #578
mistyritters
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mazin View Post
General bit of advice.

Don't talk like this.

You can think it all you want. But let's be clear: either the reader is right and your opinion of your own script is off-base, which is bad, or the reader is wrong and isn't good at evaluating scripts, in which case further reviews will likely be better.

Either way, asking for feedback (paid or unpaid) and then complaining when you don't like it is a bush move. If you want to be a professional screenwriter, understand that many of your days will be filled with negative feedback you find inaccurate, counterproductive, even ignorant.

Don't whine about it. Ever.

Start to learn how to quietly compartmentalize it in your own mind. You simply won't survive otherwise.

Even if you're with a group of writer friends, unless you're playing a light-hearted game of "what's the worst note you've ever received?", keep it to yourself.

Why?

90% of the time, people will hear your whine and say something encouraging...

...while thinking "his script stinks and he's delusional."

I mean it.

Complaining about bad reviews is a no-win.
That's also good advice in others jobs, marriage, if you're ever in a Senate confirmation hearing etc.
mistyritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #579
TheConnorNoden
Member
 
TheConnorNoden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

After getting a few reads from people here it seems the consensus is that it needs fleshing out. I'll eat the humble pie and get to work on a rewrite. I'll try blacklist again with a more straightforward script soon.

(Though I'll still complain 5 was harsh, need to throw myself a bone. I'm so awesome and talented. Maniacal laughter)
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #580
Geoff Alexander
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,589
Default Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
After getting a few reads from people here it seems the consensus is that it needs fleshing out. I'll eat the humble pie and get to work on a rewrite. I'll try blacklist again with a more straightforward script soon.

(Though I'll still complain 5 was harsh, need to throw myself a bone. I'm so awesome and talented. Maniacal laughter)
This isn't really directed at you, please don't take it that way. But, I have to say, if anything, I think the scores on the BL tend to be overly generous (I haven't read your script). And, people seem to think that a seven or a six are somehow "decent", I don't think they are. This is the problem with script consultants, services, friends, anything and everything other than the marketplace itself, none of them are as harsh as reality.

People need to be much, much, harder on themselves.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker