Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
jcgary

Default Re: Difference between (O.S.) and (O.C.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossbraker View Post
There are many ways. I think the clearest way would be V.O. or you just put VOICE ON TV, or ANNOUNCER ON TV or whomever's speaking ON TV.
V.O. is specifically dialogue that is not contained anywhere within the context of the space of the scene.

O.S. and O.C. is dialogue that could be found by the camera if it looked hard enough.

For TV, saying ANNOUNCER ON TV or REPORTER (TV) or some form of that is probably the best way. All you're looking for is ease and simplicity and clarity here.
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
MJ Scribe

Thanks for clarifying that Jcgary, excellent explanation. I appreciate it.

I was reading Breaking Bad and I noticed they used v.o for other party in "one-sided" phone calls and Intercut w. separate scene headings for both voices in "two-sided" calls. Does that seem about right for phone calls?
MJ Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
Butch Jarvinen

MJ, that's the way I did a long distance phone call when the other party isn't seen.

I also used it when voices came out from a vehicle but the speakers are not seen.
Butch Jarvinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
DavidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
And it seems you didn't even want to consider my specific example.

My example entailed a TV (or the like) within a scene. How would you do that scene? How would you make it clear? A character speaking on a TV, but unseen on the TV? Or, speaking on a computer screen, but unseen on that computer screen?
Your example is exactly what I was considering, and like I said the use of O.S. would be incorrect. See jcgary's post above, he is also correct. The voice from the TV, whether you see the character on the TV or not, is V.O. or VOICE ON TV, whichever is simpler/clearer. Whether or not the character is visible on the TV doesn't matter, the fact remains that the character/actor is not physically present in the scene and the dialogue is recorded at a different time, elsewhere, therefore V.O.

The easiest way to remember it is this: if the character (actor) is physically present in the scene, but out of view of the camera, then it is (O.S.). Everything else is V.O. (or the equivalent ON PHONE etc.). I might be wrong about some things, but I'm not wrong about this.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
Mr. Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
Your example is exactly what I was considering, and like I said the use of O.S. would be incorrect. See jcgary's post above, he is also correct. The voice from the TV, whether you see the character on the TV or not, is V.O. or VOICE ON TV, whichever is simpler/clearer. Whether or not the character is visible on the TV doesn't matter, the fact remains that the character/actor is not physically present in the scene and the dialogue is recorded at a different time, elsewhere, therefore V.O.

The easiest way to remember it is this: if the character (actor) is physically present in the scene, but out of view of the camera, then it is (O.S.). Everything else is V.O. (or the equivalent ON PHONE etc.). I might be wrong about some things, but I'm not wrong about this.
I think in Manchester's very specific example, he's talking about characters in a scene that are watching something (TV, computer screen, whatever) and what they are watching has some dialogue off screen.

One example I can think of is in Signs where they are watching a news story of the alien invasion at a birthday party and then they show the home footage of the party and there's singing and whatnot O.S. when the alien passes by the window.

In that case, it's probably easier and clearer to just cut to the home video footage scene and describe the singing as O.S. instead of V.O.

To further complicate things, the newscaster showing the home video footage should probably be in V.O. if he/she is talking over the footage.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
jcgary

I prefer to drill a little differently on this stuff than David K, probably owing to my years as a reader and preferring quick clarity -- I don't use VO for TV or radio. I specify (ON TV) or (ON RADIO) or (THROUGH SPEAKERS) or whatever.

And with your SIGNS example, I'd start with the REPORTER (ON TV) and then he talks and then they show the footage and all of this is still (ON TV).
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
m.j.r.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Jarvinen View Post
MJ, that's the way I did a long distance phone call when the other party isn't seen.

I also used it when voices came out from a vehicle but the speakers are not seen.
Don't forget long distance phone calls aren't formatted the same way as local calls.
m.j.r. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Butch Jarvinen

yea, I could have left out "long distance"
would have saved both of us some typing
Butch Jarvinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #19
Armak
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
No, that goes in the former category too.

The criteria is if the sound is audible (potentially, barring earplugs) to the characters on screen. If it is, it is O.S. If it isn't, it is V.O.
Armak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #20
DavidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
I prefer to drill a little differently on this stuff than David K, probably owing to my years as a reader and preferring quick clarity -- I don't use VO for TV or radio. I specify (ON TV) or (ON RADIO) or (THROUGH SPEAKERS) or whatever.

And with your SIGNS example, I'd start with the REPORTER (ON TV) and then he talks and then they show the footage and all of this is still (ON TV).
I agree with this. The use of VO for dialogue that is not narration or thought track, such as TV, radio, etc. has passed out of fashion and these days most writers are doing what you say above. And I agree it does make it clearer.