Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oblivion

I thought the movie was visually incredible. My eyeballs were in cinematic heaven the whole time.

Overall it was a solid effort, not bad, and not great, just an enjoyable amalgamation of ideas. You can tell where the Director drew his inspirations from, and while that is no different than the Wachowski's with The Matrix, or George Lucas with Star wars. The most important thing is to make sure the story flows well and doesn't bring up too many questions of logic.

And there were a lot of moments like that.

My biggest issue would be...

SPOILERS

The latest Genetic clone of Victoria was stuck up on that sky tower. Jack never came back for her... So did she just stay up there all alone, swimming naked in that awesome pool??

Poor girl!
    http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

Comment

Movie was ****.

Comment

It's BATTLEFIELD: EARTH without the camp.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          wat?

Comment

An alien race blasts Earth back to the Stone Age so that they can harvest the resources, and it's up to one lone warrior to use the alien's own technology against them to save humanity...

My YouTube channel.

Comment

loved it. it felt different to anything i've seen in cinemas this year. i see alot of people complain that they could see where it was going. to me that wasn't a problem, but you could never really be sure of it. i don't think they are big surprises or that they are supposed to be. the film was very low key, with very little exposition for a sci fi. this has also to do with the pacing, which was outside the standard adhd style.

i felt the film's message was a very humane one, and the way it was told was pretty good. to me a story is well told if it manages to do this. it was not only told in the love story, but also in things like the humans obsession in collecting things of sentimental value.
              love the title "oblivion", not only a synonym of death.

i feel sometimes alot of reviewers come off as morons on this one in citing that they could see the twists. i don't think the film tried to hide it much, and it works. all modern film is now judged on being surprised. i think that is often cheap storytelling.

Comment

Signal30, fair play, though I think it's difficult to avoid broad conceptual similarities if you are going to do an alien invasion aftermath story.

Anyway, 38.2m opening weekend, 150.2m all up so far, Tom's still got it. On a side note, damn the guy looks good for 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                  Signal30, fair play, though I think it's difficult to avoid broad conceptual similarities if you are going to do an alien invasion aftermath story.

Anyway, 38.2m opening weekend, 150.2m all up so far, Tom's still got it. On a side note, damn the guy looks good for 50.
                  Yea he does look good for 50....about time his a$$ started to age.

On the box office numbers, I wonder if there was some sort of strategy in opening overseas before domestic on this film. I know foreign sales make up a majority of most movie's success but seems interesting they opened domestic second with Tom Cruise.
                  One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                    As a sci-fi writer and fan, I thought it was good, not great. But it was 100x better than Battlefield Earth. To sum up: It was a visually authentic, well-executed mundane story -- like Prometheus.

**Spoilers**

Some films that came to mind when watching it. Some obvious, some not.

Planet of the Apes: half-submerged statue of liberty.
                    ID4: nuke the mothership + alien locusts.
                    Star Wars: Scavs = Sandpeople + Ocean suckers = World Devastators
                    The Day after Tommorow = burried NY City library + city
                    2001: Red eye AI = HAL 9000
                    T4 -- apoc. landscapes
                    Wall-E -- techs
                    The Time Machine + Titan A.E. -- shattered moon (you'd be suprised how many sci-fi stories involve a shattered moon. Shatter something else FFS! )
                    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

That was one of my problems with OBLIVION... it played like one of those copy/paste spoof movies, just without the smirk. A Whitman's Sampler of ideas lifted from better movies and wrapped in a shiny new CGI package. Without bothering to explore those ideas and instead going with some truly boneheaded/lazy narrative choices:

[SPOILERAGE]:

Okay... the Russian chick gets gutshot (by the kind of gun that turns most other things into greasy confetti) and Cruise just leaves her lying in the desert as he jumps into his hopper to go back home for a medkit. And then spends some quality time exchanging pleasantries with the redhead before he heads back to save the wife. No medkit in the chopper? Okay... that sort of takes the point out of a portable medkit. And why not transport her back to the medical bay in the first place instead of leaving her to bleed out?

And that whole bit about heading into the mothership to set off the bomb just doesn't add up. Why would the aliens even want her brought to the ship? They already sent the drones out to erase the crew. They already had tanks of clones. And by the time Cruise gets around to accepting the invitation and heading up to the ship the aliens already know that he's gone rogue. It was on their monitors all day. And they have monitors sophisticated enough to read his emotional state, but not enough to read that he's brought Morgan Freeman up with him?

But mostly... clones don't retain memories. That's not the way the science works. And even if it's because of hinky alien tech, why even tell Cruise his memory has been wiped? The narrative falls apart in the first ten minutes.

[/SPOILERS]

And that's only a couple examples. The entire movie is Swiss cheesy. I suppose my animosity towards the film is because it represents the new paradigm of contemporary filmmaking... the narrative integrity is now completely irrelevant as long as the CGI delivers.

Science fiction is the genre of ideas and OBLIVION plays it with the complexity of a glossy car commercial. But of course, if the target demographic is cool with that then it's pretty much my problem. But I'll miss clever storytelling...
                      Last edited by Signal30; 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

This movie was beautiful to look at but horrible as far as plot. Even without the trailers basically ruining the twist, I'm pretty sure I would have guessed it off the opening voice over. As the plot was slowly revealed, it was just sci-fi cliche after cliche. It was way too drawn out and then a huge chunk of needless exposition in the third act.

I wonder if that was all in the original script or if executives made the writers/director spell every single thing out.

Comment

Kind of an idle observation about IMAX; you become uncomfortably aware of the state of everybody's teeth when they're about as tall as you.

Comment

Quite interesting on how they filmed the skytower scenes, no green screen but a massive curving front projection instead, would have loved to have checked out that set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDRgSKVQUB4

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                              I wonder if that was all in the original script or if executives made the writers/director spell every single thing out.
                              "Tell 'em about the rabbits, Joe."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Thought this was an amazing cinematic accomplishment. I, too, thought the trailers gave away the twist, but was pleasantly surprised that I thought wrong.

There's a much, much bigger twist.

Anyone saying this film is **** doesn't know ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X