Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #41
sc111

Default Re: How important is voice in screenwriting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaneasley View Post
Very nice, sciii
Thanks. After I posted, I thought about the "rules" sheets that freshman year teacher handed out.

Venn diagrams that turned simple common sense relationships between ideas into a confusing mess -- at least to me.

How to write a thesis statement -- a ruling that only allowed students to come down on one side of the pro-con arguments presented in the source material she had to use. No alternate point of view. No use of other sources -- this was forbidden and made no sense to me. Why squash a kid taking the initiative to find other sources?

A list of a dozen-plus stilted transition words and phrases that she "must" use: on the other hand, conversely, moreover, furthermore. In a five-paragraph essay these stuck out like a sore thumb. I had to show her examples of perfectly acceptable transitions that used nothing on the list.

Worst of all, the list of rubrics used for standardized testing. She had to use the rubrics as a guide when writing. If someone had handed me that sheet when I was her age my eyes would have glazed over.

Combined, the above left little room for creativity or any true critical thinking. And when I think about it-- it was all eerily similar to the screenwriting gurus always/never rules.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #42
TwoBrad Bradley

How do you develop your voice?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #43
jonpiper

Funny you should ask that question, Brad. I was just going to post the following.

BrickFlare, this thread has talked a lot about things that inhibit your writer’s voice, but little about how you can develop your writer’s voice. And I do think you can find and develop your voice. One thing you can do is experiment with different writing styles, different ways of giving your Characters voices, different story structures, different ways of handling all the elements of your writer's voice. You will discover which come to you most naturally.
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #44
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
How do you develop your voice?
Methinks this may be a rhetorical question?
Old 05-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #45
JeffLowell

Voice is how you tell a story. The details you choose, the humor you use, your word choice, asides, whatever.

Think about people who are great storytellers - they tell you about an incident, and you're engaged. They make a mundane incident interesting and an interesting incident fascinating.

If you saw someone almost get hit by a car and were telling someone about it, you wouldn't say "A mother pushing a stroller entered an intersection. A car approached. The mother pulled back the stroller so neither she nor the baby was hit." And yet that's the "style" that so many people push for screenwriting.

Tell a story! Draw people in! Yes, your plot and characters have to be great as well, but when a reader is in the hands of a confident storyteller, they're more receptive. We've done experiments like this before, but I promise you that I can almost always tell in one page whether or not a person is a good writer, long before I've made a judgement on the merits of the script.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #46
TwoBrad Bradley

Do you need to tell a story to have a voice?

Or, is the definition of voice different for a screenwriter than everyone else? (Tell me yes and suddenly everything makes sense.)

I don’t take the meaning of voice to be that complicated. Voice is simply the screenwriter’s position on a certain subject, with the subject typically being the theme.

Last edited by TwoBrad Bradley : 05-11-2018 at 05:46 PM.
TwoBrad Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #47
jonpiper

Quote:
Do you need to tell a story to have a voice?
If you don't tell a story how will anyone hear/feel your voice? How else can you get your voice on the page?
Old 05-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #48
TwoBrad Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpiper View Post
If you don't tell a story how will anyone hear/feel your voice? How else can you get your voice on the page?
You just voiced your opinion without telling a story.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #49
jonpiper

Quote:
You just voiced your opinion without telling a story.
I asked (voiced) a question. Was my question an opinion and did it have writer's voice? I don't think so.

Voice has more than one meaning.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #50
sc111

Quote:
D

I don’t take the meaning of voice to be that complicated. Voice is simply the screenwriter’s position on a certain subject, with the subject typically being the theme.
Though I agree theme and point of view (or position as you say) are the bedrock from which voice emerges it's misleading to leave at that.

If you have a mundane theme and hold a trite point of view on the subject of the theme your voice will be a major snooze. Not to mention characters are likely to be hackneyed stereotypes and plot, predictable.