Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
DaltWisney
Regular

Default Re: Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

I saw it twice, which is funny because after the first time I watched I thought, 'That was nice, but I don't ever need to see it again.' What pulled me back was the charm of the characters and the nostalgia for Hollywood/the entertainment biz that permeates the whole thing. It's a movie for people who love the industry by people who love the industry.

I've read most of "Helter Skelter", so I know the whole Manson/Tate story quite well. I do think this movie would have diminished value for people who don't know the story since so much of the tension/dread is based on the audience knowing what's eventually going to happen (but eventually doesn't). If you don't know who Manson and Tate are then all that stuff could be thoroughly confusing, so people watching this in 20-30 years when the general knowledge of that incident has further diminished are probably going to have a harder time connecting with the material.

It's a character-driven movie with slow pacing and a plot that lacks urgency (especially compared to something like Django). However, they stuck the landing and I think that's a big part of why the movie works. It's a slow burn for 90% of its duration and then it just goes crazy with a fun and satisfying finish.
DaltWisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
finalact4

i think you're right, DaltWisney. i stole my aunt's copy of Helter Skelter when i was in fifth grade and that's probably the reason i have a morbid interest in serial killers and unsolved cases. scary book when you look at the cover.

i love the ending of this movie because more than anything, i wish that horrible event could've been prevented. the callous disregard of those young girls after they were arrested was the most shocking aspect... they did it because someone told them to. and i hope they rot in prison.

but, the ending totally makes up for the slowish plot.

the thing i really like about some Tarantino's storytelling, is that he can take a moment in time and twist it, giving us something to cheer for against really horrific events.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #13
Darthclaw13
Regular

I enjoyed this one very much. I am what I call a 50% Tarantino fan, meaning I like only about half of his films.

I agree with other posters here about the slow pace during the first 2/3 of this film. He could have trimmed many scenes down a bunch and still shown what he wanted without taking us all along on a slow boring ride.

The ending was thrilling and for those of us who know the story it was satisfying.

I did like that Tarantino showed 3 "classes" of people in this film. The super rich (Tate/Polanski) who seem to have no worries and just enjoy life, never really paying attention to the rest of the world. The middle people (struggling actor Rick Dalton and stuntman Cliff Booth) who aren't homeless but aren't what many consider very rich either who struggle to maintain what they do have and have the typical jealousy of the super rich. Then the lower class (Manson and his flock) who rummage around in garbage to find food and band together tightly because it's all they have.

I felt Tarantino did well showing these 3 styles or "classes" of life.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #14
Friday

I like anything that films Hollywood. It's just a particular niche that I enjoy: i.e. Get Shorty, etc. It's fun to see familiar places. It's a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed Leo's character and Margot Robie's character. I kind of have a problem with the Bruce Lee character. Anyone who's watched any documentaries on him knows he was not like that at all. They made him out to be an arrogant a-hole that could lose a fight with Brad Pitt. Come on. The guy fought against top champions around the world. I also enjoyed that hippie Manson girl. I agree that it felt like a bunch of disjointed parts that were fine on their own, but did not feel like a cohesive whole. But, I still enjoyed it way more than the Hateful Eight, Django Unchained, Kill Bill.

Just as an aside, Manson was really after this record producer that dissed his music that happened to own that Sharon Tate house. But, the producer moved out like 8 months prior. For some reason, even though Manson knew this, he decided to slaughter everyone in that house. Manson was a little munchkin that had serious hygiene issues. It's crazy so many people followed his every word.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
Ire

I did enjoy a good portion of this QT outing.

I agree about the pace. One long shot of Brad's character driving - cue soundtrack which was solid - was enough. I lived in LA. I get it. Sometimes it was the coolest place culturally in which to drive.

The only reason for the Bruce Lee scene was the Green Hornet car damage. Otherwise, my unnatural suspension of disbelief was blown.

Favorite things were experiencing LA at that time, for example the neon sign light up sequence, Leo's meltdown and recovery and Brad's trailer. The details were phenomenal overall here. I got his wish ending. But the running time... He gets director's cut. It is what it is.

Last edited by Ire : 08-18-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Ire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire View Post
I did enjoy a good portion of this QT outing.

I agree about the pace. One long shot of Brad's character driving - cue soundtrack which was solid - was enough. I lived in LA. I get it. Sometimes it was the coolest place culturally in which to drive. .
I think the driving sequences imbued the movie with nostalgic life... when it was ok to smoke, when a little sunburn wasn't really too bad (as long as had Waikiki coconut oil), when being misogynistic ******* was the norm. Honestly I enjoyed those 'quiet' scenes as much as anything for the subtle reflection of a bygone era. Hell the advertising sequences were pretty much a script unto themselves.

Quote:
The only reason for the Bruce Lee scene was the Green Hornet car damage. Otherwise, my unnatural suspension of disbelief was blown..
Chekov's gun. Establish Pitt's character as someone who could deal to the ultimate fighter of the era and you establish that he can disarm and destroy three armed ****ing hippies with ease (even tripping)

Quote:
Favorite things were experiencing LA at that time, for example the neon sign light up sequence, Leo's meltdown and recovery and Brad's trailer. The details were phenomenal overall here. I got his wish ending. But the running time... He gets director's cut. It is what it is.
I'm looking forwards to the 4hr Netflix cut

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #17
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
Chekov's gun. Establish Pitt's character as someone who could deal to the ultimate fighter of the era and you establish that he can disarm and destroy three armed ****ing hippies with ease (even tripping)
except... they're ****ing hippies. the Tate victims themselves almost overpowered the women and only Tex and his gun were the decisive factor. i didn't buy it for a minute in the moment that a Hollywood stuntman (tough as though I bought Cliff's character to be) would last a minute against Bruce F'in Lee
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #18
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
except... they're ****ing hippies. the Tate victims themselves almost overpowered the women and only Tex and his gun were the decisive factor. i didn't buy it for a minute in the moment that a Hollywood stuntman (tough as though I bought Cliff's character to be) would last a minute against Bruce F'in Lee

Yeah. Bruce Lee fought world champions from many disciplines all over the world and also learned the different techniques and fighting styles including grappling. Plus, anyone that knows his history knows he doesn't do any predictable moves so he's not coming the second time the exact same way. More troubling is the portrayal. It was pretty insulting. I can see why Bruce Lee's daughter was pissed. Totally fabricated.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
DLev24
User

So re: the Bruce Lee thing...

Coming out of the viewing, I was under the impression that the entire sequence was 100% a dream -- Brad's character imagining what would have happened had he gone with Leo that day. After discussing with friends, I know that it's actually a memory of something that had happened in the past -- but I still definitely believe that it's Brad Pitt's version of those events. Meaning most of it is self-aggrandizing bullshit on his part. A totally unreliable narrator of sorts.
DLev24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #20
Rantanplan

I thought there were some really great moments (Leo's fit in the trailer being one of the highlights, and Brad just being Brad on nonchalant sexy overdrive) and I freaking loved the ending. Even as someone who doesn't care much for violence, I couldn't wait for it to happen. You know it's coming, you know she's going to be spared the horrendous fate that was awaiting her in real life, and you want it be violent as all hell. And you know that pit bull is in the movie for a reason, and you just can't wait to watch her do her thing. And does she ever.

So I think the ending triggers a wealth of emotions. And the flame thrower was an awesome touch, even though the woman didn't think to actually dive into the water while standing in a swimming pool while being torched.

That said, it lacked editorial restraint I think. If Tarantinto's long-time editor hadn't died so suddenly and tragically a few years back, I wonder what kind of film we would have got? Some of the first scenes seemed so long and lifeless and artificial, I was almost tempted to leave. This definitely did not have the fast sharp Tarantino dialogue of some of his other films.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote