Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Frequently Asked Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #11
cluckyburger
Regular

Default Re: Meeting tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOz
In prodcos big and small, you’ll always be offered a bottled water (except at Castle Rock where they give you the water in a huge glass filled to the brim with no ice, very awkward. So bring your own.)
this is not true. castle rock has sparkling bottled water. calistogas. lime, lemon or regular. plus sodas.
but heaven help you if you get a meeting there. it is a company gasping its last breaths
cluckyburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #12
GreatOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckyburger
this is not true. castle rock has sparkling bottled water. calistogas. lime, lemon or regular. plus sodas.
but heaven help you if you get a meeting there. it is a company gasping its last breaths
They must have been out the day I had a meeting there (late 2003) -- they gave me this humongus glass of water to carry around. I thought they were trying to be environmentally friendly or something.
GreatOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 PM   #13
GreatOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooks
Yep, that's exactly what I do. I think it's the best way to end up in an exec's database, rather than counting on somebody taking a stack of business cards and typing the info in at the end of each day.
I always send a follow-up email, "Thanks for the great meeting...etc." So now they have my contact info in TWO places -- their business card holder AND their database.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:36 PM   #14
Jake Schuster

Quote:
An artist doesn’t have to sell a painting in order to be considered an artist.
Right. To be considered a professional artist is a different matter. I still wouldn't put anything else other than the basic info on a card.

As for water, I had meetings with Morgan Creek and Summit, and both execs had to run out of the room and come back with a glass of water.
Jake Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:44 PM   #15
yvonnjanae

I love this town! Earthquakes and all.

But this whole water thing is scary. I read somewhere on Done Deal that it's considered rude to turn down their offer of a beverage. WTF? Why water? What about a pop? If I ask for regular instead of diet will they write me off as fat and lazy? Should I drink the beverage or just hold it? What if I'm really thirsty, drink it all and then have to go to the bathroom? Help!
yvonnjanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:01 PM   #16
GreatOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnjanae
I love this town! Earthquakes and all.

But this whole water thing is scary. I read somewhere on Done Deal that it's considered rude to turn down their offer of a beverage. WTF? Why water? What about a pop? If I ask for regular instead of diet will they write me off as fat and lazy? Should I drink the beverage or just hold it? What if I'm really thirsty, drink it all and then have to go to the bathroom? Help!
Nobody's going to judge you on your choice -- or lack of -- beverage! (Unless you come in with a beer or something!!) Personally, I wouldn't want a coke because I don't want to belch in the middle of a pitch!

I drink a lot during a meeting, my throat gets real dry. And if you can't hold in a small bottle of water for thirty minutes, I'd see a doctor...

PS -- it's okay to ask to use their restroom before or after the meeting!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
pooks

I was told that most places have soft drinks, juice, water, coffee.

I've asked for orange juice when I was sinking (too many meetings in one day) and gotten it. And believe me, if you're tired orange juice really can give you a second wind.

Having them bring you water in a glass is not a bad thing. I've had that happen, too.

But mainly don't do anything that makes you feel awkward or uncomfortable. You need to have confidence, and no matter what somebody else tells you, if you feel awkward about it and it shows, you didn't help yourself.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:59 AM   #18
south832
User

Maybe you have to have a bunch of "amazing high concept" ideas to earn the title of screenwriter. But it's a whole different discussion. Because if we accept the idea that you earn the title only as you sell... what about those brilliant scripts that never sell? And if you earn the title the moment you write Fade Out on your first script -- what if it sucks? What about all the dreck that there is, perhaps some of it mine -- so, everyone has a title?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #19
pooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by south832
Maybe you have to have a bunch of "amazing high concept" ideas to earn the title of screenwriter. But it's a whole different discussion. Because if we accept the idea that you earn the title only as you sell... what about those brilliant scripts that never sell? And if you earn the title the moment you write Fade Out on your first script -- what if it sucks? What about all the dreck that there is, perhaps some of it mine -- so, everyone has a title?
It's not about earning the title, or deserving the title. When I said that I was told not to put "writer" on letterhead and business cards as a novelist, I knew MANY published and successful novelists who simply used their names, no "title." I was told the same custom exists in Hollywood -- no "screenwriter" title. I never considered it a matter of whether someone had earned it or not, since the people telling me this had certainly earned it, and still didn't use it.

It's simply a matter of custom. (shrug)
Old 06-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #20
GreatOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by south832
People should do whatever feels comfortable for them. It doesn't make much difference. I hold to the principle, "As a man thinketh, so is he." I knew I was a screenwriter many, many years before I actually sold something. And right before my first trip to Hollywood to tackle the five-minute-pitch circuit, when my first business cards arrived with "SCREENWRITER" printed under my name, it felt really good and give me that extra little boost of confidence. It was a personal affirmation. Maybe if I hadn't already written about ten screenplays, I wouldn't have been so bold. But I was ready at that point to make it official. Hell yes, I told myself, I was a screenwriter. I had the years spent in front of the computer to prove it.

We all give ourselves titles all the time, some are visible in our posting names, so it might as well be a positive one.

Why do you think I am THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!!! (Just don't look behind the curtain, and don't look at my first script -- it beyond sucks. But it had a great title -- "THE SIXTH SENSE"!!!)

What about the guy who puts "PRODUCER" on his card who has no credits? Or the "MANAGER" who works out of his apartment in West Hollywood? Are they fake? Some of them. Delusional? Some of them. Or just following the same dream we all have to work in this crazy business?