Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Frequently Asked Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2002, 03:35 PM   #21
Done Deal

Default Re: manager/producers?

I again, don't want to talk from years of experience since I'm not on the tracking boards at this time, but my conversations about them with people that do run them has been that agents & managers have their own separate boards. There's generally not mixing between the prod. companies and representation on these things.

I think it'd be safe to assume that even managers that produce would be essentially treated as managers first and foremost when "discussions" about scripts going around we're being made and or when decisions were made about who could join a tracking group.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:53 PM   #22
writestuff

I have no real idea about the above, but Zide/Perry has two seperate divisions, a management group, and a production company, (and two only slightly different names, but still different) could an entity like that join both groups.

I would think just from the management/prod co's position, each division would want to have imput to the board that meets their specific needs.

Would that be a possibility in a case like that? Where the script in their hands might conceivably be tracked on both types of boards at the same time?

I'm not at that stage yet, but it's an intriguing concept. Sort of one company with a split personality. LOL

Tami
Old 11-08-2002, 12:43 PM   #23
Done Deal

I'll add this one thought/view on that question... Keep in mind these folks are more "freely" discussing their opinions on material than they would say face to face with the manager or agent or writer, if you catch my drift. Thus, you really don't want the people your talking about behind their backs knowing what you are saying.

A management company that has a production arm will, in pretty much every case, be in the same offices only a few feet from each other. People on the boards are going to be aware of this or keep something of that nature in mind when deciding who joins their group and why. The groups don't want everyone and their mother in their participating. They don't want people with a conflict of interest mixing it up in there, necessarily. I'd be willing to bey that they any management company that also "produces" would be more or less categorized as managers, in terms of joining certain tracking boards.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:30 PM   #24
writestuff

Okay, thanks Will. I was just curious when thinking of such a 'different' situation as that.. I see your point, and it makes sense.

By the way... THANK YOU for all your time spent here, and the work you guys do both with this board, and the site, it's a tremendous service to those of us learning the ropes.

Tami
Old 11-15-2002, 02:33 AM   #25
kcshc

Default Re: What If?...

Here's an idea...

A desperate screenwriter hacks into a tracking board and creates artifical 'buzz' about his spec script about computer crime currently doing the rounds. Before long, he lands the biggest deal in Hollywood's history in a fierce bidding war - artificially manipulated by himself, and is the toast of the town. Until....

Just a thought!