Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
GoldStarWriter
User

Question IMDB Pro - Pitching w/o agent - what staff to choose for pitch/sell?

Hey all, I have IMDB Pro and I want to try and pitch my script w/o an agent. What sort of people (staff) do I look for for in production companies?

Such as New Line Cinema, do I contact the Managers, Executives, Producers or casting for the company? When I call the company do I ask for that specific person? Who do I pitch/ sell my script to? I'm very confused, thanks!
GoldStarWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
NYNEX

Default Re: IMDB Pro - Pitching w/o agent - what staff to choose for pitch/sell?

I would try to find people whose direct contact information is listed. Some people have their direct telephone, fax, or e-mail. That's more of an indication that they want to be contacted.

That's how I get read. But then again, you never know, if you call them up and get an assistant, he or she may want to read your script (they can pass it on if you like it).

I don't think there's any right way to do it, just try it yourself and you'll find out what works for you.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
GoldStarWriter
User

Default Re: IMDB Pro - Pitching w/o agent - what staff to choose for pitch/sell?

I found this article:
http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/scr...gi?read=151401

But thanks for your help!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
GoldStarWriter
User

But wait - can I call the Ceo or Co-Principal of the company?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Butch Jarvinen

I always do things backwards. I would try to take the receptionist to lunch or coffee.
Butch Jarvinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
LIMAMA

And make sure they're not on the WGA strike list.
LIMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldStarWriter View Post
But wait - can I call the Ceo or Co-Principal of the company?
You'd probably want to start with a polite email, cold calling is so pushy. Try this:

bob.shaye@newline.com

Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Robot17

Talking Re: IMDB Pro - Pitching w/o agent - what staff to choose for pitch/sell?

I usually go with producers with deals rather than straight to studios - majors or minis.

Just for drill you can find a few with credits in the genre you're writing in and call them direct, talk to an assistant and see what happens.

I don't think you need to be worried about the strike or anything - if you're not WGA they can't censure you unless you ink a deal which won't be real soon anyway.

You may want to throw your pitch up on the logline board (if you haven't already) and let people pound on it. We've got enough as&holes around here to help you make it bullet proof

Good luck.
Bot
Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
GoldStarWriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot17 View Post
I usually go with producers with deals rather than straight to studios - majors or minis.

Just for drill you can find a few with credits in the genre you're writing in and call them direct, talk to an assistant and see what happens.

I don't think you need to be worried about the strike or anything - if you're not WGA they can't censure you unless you ink a deal which won't be real soon anyway.

You may want to throw your pitch up on the logline board (if you haven't already) and let people pound on it. We've got enough as&holes around here to help you make it bullet proof

Good luck.
Bot
Thanks all for your feedback!!

My logline is: What happens when a pig becomes the first state champion for the derby race but finds out that he is genetically cloned from a human being. Now he must find his human form!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
CottonFitzsimmons

Sounds like a winner!
CottonFitzsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote