Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
mtoomey
Member
 
mtoomey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 874
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

I like to stalk. Peeking through the window into their breakfast nook works--and on a good night I'll break into their house when they're not home and bake them cookies and do their laundry. That way when they get home I don't feel so bad about holding a gun to their head until they read my script.

seriously though, don't give up Goldstar. I've had a few recent read requests by email and placing in a contest. I never had luck with snail mail queries--plus they take forever to prepare. I think email is the way to go. If you have decent google-ing powers you can find emails for most management companies...and buy the Hollywood Rep Directory so you know who to google. :-)
mtoomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
GoldStarWriter
User
 
GoldStarWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 31
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9alt View Post
Listen, home-slice this screenwriting thing is a hard, Hard, HARD thing to do.

The writing.

The marketing.

It's hard to do even during the best of times and you're doing it during a strike (as you should be unless you're a WGA member) so ummm you need to knuckle up a bit and drive on.

Now I think you posted a logline in another thread a couple days ago saying you were ready to start querying after years of writing, right, and now you've queried for how long -- a few days -- and you're ready to give up?

Learn fast.

This is a marathon that requires daily sprints.

Grow a set.

Toughen up.

Strap in for the longhaul.

Or stop wasting your time.

That's tough love but it's all true, man. Anybody here will tell you that.

It's as simple as that.

Work on your logline. If the logline is good enough these dudes will ask to read the script regardless of any BS unsolicited materials policy.
Alrighty. I will toughen up, be strong and not give up! That's the moral to the story I wrote, so I won't!
GoldStarWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Archive
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Let me also suggest that you begin thinking laterally. Truly, you are competing with thousands of other writers for the attention of a few producers. Putting some thought into how to compete effectively is smart, but finding a way to get what you want without competing with the throng at all is much, much smarter. This is the age of great equalizers, proletarian technologies, and independent media.

All the most financially successful and creatively acclaimed filmmakers built their own studios at one point or another, from Chaplin to Spielberg. Is this a coincidence? If it's not, then maybe it's time to stop sending letters and start making movies, mate. Let the herd have the dry hay and get the fresh grass and berries for yourself. You might have to walk farther, but the scenery's better, the food is tastier, and you're more likely to surprise yourself and get surprised by life.

Or, hang out by the tractor and get some hay when you can - but remember what Heinlein said - TANSTAAFL!

Doing business with folks who need what you have is always a fine thing, but asking for permission is for the birds. If you're out there making great films, they'll find you, and maybe you won't even care when they do. Consider your options liberally, and then execute your choices with resolve and courage. Can you dig?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
NYNEX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 960
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Let me also suggest that you begin thinking laterally. Truly, you are competing with thousands of other writers for the attention of a few producers. Putting some thought into how to compete effectively is smart, but finding a way to get what you want without competing with the throng at all is much, much smarter. This is the age of great equalizers, proletarian technologies, and independent media.

All the most financially successful and creatively acclaimed filmmakers built their own studios at one point or another, from Chaplin to Spielberg. Is this a coincidence? If it's not, then maybe it's time to stop sending letters and start making movies, mate. Let the herd have the dry hay and get the fresh grass and berries for yourself. You might have to walk farther, but the scenery's better, the food is tastier, and you're more likely to surprise yourself and get surprised by life.

Or, hang out by the tractor and get some hay when you can - but remember what Heinlein said - TANSTAAFL!

Doing business with folks who need what you have is always a fine thing, but asking for permission is for the birds. If you're out there making great films, they'll find you, and maybe you won't even care when they do. Consider your options liberally, and then execute your choices with resolve and courage. Can you dig?
I would say good advice, but how to do expect the original poster to get the money to make his or her movies?

That's an extremely expensive process. Added to that, I know my share of indie film makes who made movies that no one sees or cares about. And who never artistically got anywhere.

If the original poster's work is that good, then producers will want to buy it at some point. Big movie stars like Halle Berry went into the business competing against thousands of actors, and they won the competition.

You can't let numbers deter you. Either you got it or you don't.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
Archive
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

I've been in film finance for over five years now - I got into it specifically to find out the answer to the question you asked, and while you may not believe it, money is actually the simplest thing in the world to get, and anything at all can be traded for it. At this moment, I'm financing my first feature out of pocket, using money from film equity and money from work, but that's one solution in about ten thousand. In the end, I expect someone who actually wants to succeed to come up with their own answer to that question, and do it in a way that serves the film in question. It takes creativity, foresight, and relentless determination, but if this person lacks these qualities, they should quit writing anyhow.

In the immortal words of Sean Connery, "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f&@k the prom queen!" If the original producer's work is "that good," they already have the tools they need to produce it themselves, and even if distributors don't want it, which they will if it is as fantastic as it ought to be, self-distribution (theatrically) is a reality in this day and age. Most recently, John Turturro self-distributed his own film, and David Lynch did the same. These aren't big stars, guys. They're people with telephones. Are you a person with a telephone? I bet you are. Pretty much the only thing stopping filmmakers from being extremely successful independently, aside from the quality of their work, is the notion that someone owes them something. That doesn't mean you can't be successful. It means nobody but you controls your success! Lose that notion of entitlement, liberate yourself from the idea that anyone but you controls the "gates" to success, and start solving problems instead of caving under them.

If someone makes a movie nobody sees or cares about, either they made an unwatchable film, or they didn't take the time and care to find the audience. So make good movies, and find their audience, and you will make money. If you can't do those things, or you feel like you shouldn't have to, then you're looking for a handout and beggars can't be choosers, mate!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
Archive
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

This is art. There shouldn't be an "autopilot" path to success. There is no entry-level job. There's only opportunity, and those creative enough and passionate enough to see and exploit it. A great script is an opportunity, and waiting in line, as I see it, is a waste of time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
Geoff Alexander
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,589
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
I've been in film finance for over five years now
In what capacity?

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 01-25-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Fixed coding
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #18
darrylyo
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 218
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
while you may not believe it, money is actually the simplest thing in the world to get
Wow, if this is actually true for you, you're up there in the rare air with about nine guys in the world. You must have everyone in town banging on your door 24/7.

Who are you and what's your secret--because right now even guys like DeNiro and Tom Hanks would LOVE to know.
darrylyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #19
NYNEX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 960
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
This is art. There shouldn't be an "autopilot" path to success. There is no entry-level job. There's only opportunity, and those creative enough and passionate enough to see and exploit it. A great script is an opportunity, and waiting in line, as I see it, is a waste of time.
I agree with your overall tone. I have an agent and a lawyer, and I'm waiting to hear back from some of my projects (at non struck companies). I started writing in 2003, but it took a few years for me to rewrite and rewrite my scripts in good enough shape for industry people to love my work.

So once you have the good script, your work will speak for itself. Just do everything you can to contact relevant people, and take it from there.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #20
Robot17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 925
Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9alt View Post
Work on your logline. If the logline is good enough these dudes will ask to read the script regardless of any BS unsolicited materials policy.
This is correct.

Goldstar, your logline sucks. It's not okay, it sucks.

Please re-read my post at Wordplay and my previous post here. I haven't checked to see if you've posted your logline anywhere else.

Don't bother with querying Miramax or New Line - they want a producer already on board usually. They are studio types that are most likely going to want a producer to schlepp it in to them or will only take subs from agents.

Query producers with a battle tested, bullet proof query letter after it has been thoroughly trashed by people who have done it before. Learn to pitch the query on the phone.

Bot
__________________
Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. Stolen from Jcorona
Robot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker