Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
cesahr

Default Prod.Co question

I queried a smaller prod co which fit the genre and format (DV) for my film project back in Sept. I heard from them by phone in Oct, submitted everything to them in late Dec, had good rapport with the Dev. person, she took my calls etc. She said as of January that she was circulating my script.

I was supposed to hook up with her at Sundance for coffee, but she had to split due to -- sad but true -- being the driver to and from the airport for the big wigs...which was fine because it gets crazy in them mountians sometimes so I knew it was a longshot to get together.

Any-hoo, I overnighted the material I was going to give her the following week, the script (so she could read it on the plane ride back) my CD-ROM with the preview I made and some other reviews, etc. in HTML format. Cut to the next week when I follow up with a phone call and : she's quit to take a job at ICM. She had given me her cell number to call her in Utah, which I did, and the guy at the prod co told me to just call her directly for the scoop. Great right. Of course.

Anyway...blabla, that parts great, but the new guy who got all of her stuff I have to start over with at the prod co. I emailed him per her instructions (and copied her on it) and introduced myslef, etc. Then followed up the next week with a phone call. He took it but is overwhelmed by all the catching up he has to do blablabla...

Okay, whew, didnt mean for it to be this long: my question is, what do I do now? I don't know what exactly her position is at ICM (she didn't really either...hmmm). My main concern is the new guy...I told him I would get back to him in a month. Should I stay with the politely persistant path? It's obvious nobody has read it yet, so I am starting over...any help is appreciated. Have a great weekend.

c
www.InGe-Inc.com
Old 02-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
JoanEasley

Befriend the new guy? Wait the month and give him a friendly call. Say you know how overwhelming it is to start a new job. You could offer to buy him a cup of coffee, or lunch. Ask him how his new job is going. Treat him like a human being. Then if he hasn't read your stuff yet, he'll be more willing to because you won't be anonymous to him.

Send a note, also, to your former contact who's now at the agency. Try to stay in touch. If she liked your work before, she still does. She may not be in a position to represent you yet, but if you stay on friendly terms, and you keep her up to date on your achievements, she may want to help you along when she's able.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
jodeb

I think we all have these *horror* stories. Not to one up you, but these execs or whoever move around like crazy and many times you are left at the altar.

I worked with one on a project, whipped it into shape, spoke on the phone a lot, emailed constantly and poof, one day he was gone.

Good part, I optioned the script to someone else. Bad part, my exec showed up somewhere else (somewhere very good) contacted me for the screenplay for his new people, but now *it* was gone.

After one renewal by new producer, I wound up getting the script back, promptly called the exec, but the cycle had changed and they weren't interested in that genre at the moment, so the script is mine again to peddle. (It was *almost* greenlighted with the new producer and I did get some cash)

My original exec. is reading a few other scripts of mine and we shall see, but if only that script had been available when.......

Who knows what would have happened. Keep trucking, do what you have to do, almost on auto-pilot and keep your fingers crossed.

It's frustrating....
Old 02-27-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
cesahr

thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted.

c