Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
kidcharlemagne

Default Re: Meetings With Production Companies

Second the above. My experience of these meetings was a general chat, a "what else are you working on?" which was my segue into one or two pitches and in one meeting I was given a treatment by a Warner Bros based producer's CE to look at. I wrote the take up over the weekend, the producer liked it but it went nowhere.

If you have many meetings allow for the traffic in LA (and its general hugeness!) and make sure you have exact directions as to where you are going and allow for the fact that if you are going onto a studio lot you need time to get past security, to park the car and then to find the office on the lot, so arrive early! And, as has been mentioned above, be prepared to wait and for the meeting to run over so make sure you give yourself enough time to get to the next meeting!

I once made the mistake of reading a number in the 10,000's on Pico (Fox!) as a number in the 1000's and it was rush hour and I was 50 minutes late. Still, because he knew I was flying in from the UK the exec was cool about it.

For meetings, preparation is your best friend!

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammo View Post
Hello Everyone!

So my script went wide and so far no one's bought it. BUT, starting on Thursday, I have a bunch of meetings with Production Companies and Studios who liked the writing, but didn't want to purchase the script.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers for these upcoming meetings. My writing partner and I are really excited about them.

Please let me know what your experience was like during these meetings? Did they land you an assignment? Did they open up the door to pitch?

Thank you!!!!
I think the most important thing is to not invest energy in worrying about outcomes with these general meetings. The probability is that nothing will come of them, at least not in the short term. The important thing is that you are meeting with folks who like what you do as a writer and with whom you may work down the road.

As far as assignments, the pickings are so slim right now it's amazing, so don't even worry about it. I have a friend who recently sold a pretty big spec and has taken almost sixty meetings with no firm offers. What you can do, though, is have an article or a book that you love, and that has available rights, and pitch that to them. I've gotten the "is there anything you want to adapt" question a number of times.

I've never really had a "bad" general meeting as a writer, probably because so little is at stake, so just try and enjoy the fact that you're going to all these cool places that are just drenched in history. I remember my first studio meeting, which was at Universal, and that feeling that, although I had not yet achieved my ultimate goal, at least I was walking the same ground as my idols. You get to do that now, so enjoy the moment.

Congrats on the fact that people all over town have read your work and you now have started to create a fan base for yourself.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
kidcharlemagne

Quote:
so just try and enjoy the fact that you're going to all these cool places that are just drenched in history. I remember my first studio meeting, which was at Universal, and that feeling that, although I had not yet achieved my ultimate goal, at least I was walking the same ground as my idols. You get to do that now, so enjoy the moment.
I agree. I remember my first meeting in the Mouse House, I was actually given a guided tour by the exec. On another occassion I had lunch in the Disney canteen and the next day in the Paramount canteen. So yeah, enjoy the ride even if it goes nowhere.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
yammo
User

Thank you everyone! The first meeting is tomorrow and my writing partner and I are excited. It's a great feeling to know that they read our script and want to take time out of their busy day to sit down and chat with us. I'll keep you guys posted on how the meetings go.

Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
hscope

Quote:
Thank you everyone! The first meeting is tomorrow and my writing partner and I are excited. It's a great feeling to know that they read our script and want to take time out of their busy day to sit down and chat with us. I'll keep you guys posted on how the meetings go.

Thanks again!
Good luck, Yammo.

However, keep it in the back of your mind that you are taking time out of your busy day to meet with them. Think: They read your script, so of course they want to meet with you. How could they possibly do anything else?

Be pleased to meet them, not grateful. Confident, but not arrogant.

(I base these comments on my limited experience of two HW meetings, so take 'em with a pinch of salt)
hscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
Jcorona

Quote:
I'll keep you guys posted on how the meetings go.
You ain't gotta tell me. I'm goin' wit'chu. What time should I be at the pad? Wear black 'cause I'm wearing white.

Do you drive? My car's at the dealership. I ain't bought it yet.

I believe in promptness, okay? Don't make me look bad.

Corona

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
I ain't no punk b1tch...
Jcorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #17
EJ Pennypacker

Good luck yammo. I look forward to your follow-up post(s)!

EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #18
JonnyAtlas

Congrats, yammo! This is seriously awesome! I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun. Just relax and enjoy the experience.

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.
JonnyAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
La Femme Joyeuse

Consider picking up a copy of Stephanie Palmer's book: Good in a Room. She is the queen of the pitch and there are so many great tips on what to expect, how to relax and do well.

My top two tips, based on experience:

1) what jillybob said about the cold, damp hand. I've done that. So lame.

2) slow down. so many of us talk too fast when we are a little nervous. give the exec(s) a little breathing room to interject or ask questions.

Julie Gray

La Femme Joyeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
jillybob

I wanted to jump back in to agree with SB about not hanging too much on the outcome of these meets. There are always more writers than gigs, so you have to look at meetings in a context broader than an immediate result. I mean, obviously we are all rooting for you to land an assignment on your first go. But, for a little perspective, remember these things:

1. Once you have impressed someone in a meeting (after you've already impressed them with your writing), you are on their "list" whether you grab an assignment right away or not. Your are among the writers they have in mind when new opportunities come up, and that's invaluable.

2. Meetings are kind of like relationships; each one teaches you something for the next one. If a meeting isn't perfect, that's fine. First of all, nobody expects you to be perfect -- including the people you're meeting with -- and second of all, those imperfect meetings pave the way for you to be smarter and calmer and cooler the next time.

3. You're on a new playing field now. Yes, there's still a lot of competition, and the odds still suck, because the odds always suck. But you have created fans of your writing and gotten yourself in the room, and that puts you in a position most writers would maim their family pets to get to. So be proud of yourself, and get ready for a whole new fight.

And, 'cause I don't think I said it before, congrats!