Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
jboffer

Default Re: Where the hell do you start?

I already started a google search and man, nothing looks promising.
jboffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #32
Farnsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takezo View Post
I gave a lecture to some film students in Utah a while back and told them flat out that they were training for jobs that didn't exist--and that at the most one or two of them really would have the talent to succeed in the entertainment industry... and even that would not gurantee to pay the bils. This didn't sit well. Especially with the instructor/professors who are in the "education business" (which goes hat and hand with the gadfly entertainment scam artists). This is not what is said in the film schools, seminars, pay-services, etc. But this needs to be said.

T
Such courses and venues are driven by pure demand. Hope and wishful thinking is becoming big business. Look at the proliferation of contests in the last few years.
Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #33
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboffer View Post
I wouldn't bother with Chicago agents. The studios, networks and vast majority of production companies are in LA. So query LA-based managers. If they like your material, come out here for a week or two for meet-and-greets.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #34
Landis26

Quote:
Look, Chiacago is better than nothing.
You can parlay that into something bigger and better later if they turn out to be a donkey.

T
Yeah, like a bigger and better LA donkey.
Landis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #35
Takezo
Regular

Such courses and venues are driven by pure demand. Hope and wishful thinking is becoming big business. Look at the proliferation of contests in the last few years.

It's really, really sick.
And shame on they/them who are trading off of this stuff.

Take a look at that "Pitchfest" video on Youtube about their up coming event this June.

Look at this donkey in front of the camera.
Jeeze.
Then look how they line up all the prospects and then shuffle them off to low-level snot-noses.

Yeah they may get some advice from these so called industry people who show up.
But no one who can make a decision will be there.
No one who can really green light something will show up.

If you study the video this is an audition process that perfectly mirrors the American Idol process. It's identical.

At best you'll get some low-leve baby development exec to be present.
Of course they're all there to support the arts, yada, yada, yada.

Honestly, we need more screenwriters like we need more lawyers and child molsters.
And I'm not say were down on that level.
No way.

There are too many people tyring for too few jobs.

If I were to teach a course on screenwriting (hint, hint to all you egg head academics) it would be offered only once every three years. And you would have to audition to get in--and show something (even if written on a table napkin) that you can actually write and express youself on paper. Perhaps 25 to 30 students accepted. And this class would be exactly 6 to 7 months long--and it would start out with the basic facts of the industry that I laid out above. Then we would work on (select) the material you will be producing in this time period--because at the end you will be expected to pump out a fully developed, completed commercial screenplay. Then we'd go into structure--and then to beat outline in the first few weeks. It would be a four hour 1/2 hour class three times a week. Very intensive the way they make you work at Art Center School Of Design in Pasadena (a school you have to have talent to get in).

We'd learn pitching, beat outling, business and so on--the meat of the industry and how to keep your head above water.

Each class would have an hour of lecture and then you have to pound out words on a paper. You would actually have to produce something and finish it by the middle of the term--then spend the rest of the term polishing it.

These Tech schools have the right idea--they can turn out a product in a set time frame.

This is what we need today again.
We don't need systems/business/schools trading on fantasy and hopes.

T
Takezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #36
Takezo
Regular

Yeah, like a bigger and better LA donkey.

Really I can't tell you where to start looking.
LA is the place where 90% of all the action takes place.
So start looking here.

But if you get a bite, you will have to be prepared to jump on a plane and get some face-time with these people.

T
Old 06-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #37
zenplato

Quote:
These Tech schools have the right idea--they can turn out a product in a set time frame.
Not sure what you mean by this? Are you saying that if you go to tech school they have a good system of preparing you for the real world?

If so, that's not the case, at all. You don't need any education to become a "tech" person.

Those schools and certificates mean nothing for the most part. A few of them hold some merit, but experience trumps all.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #38
Takezo
Regular

Okay dude, but ask yourself this....

Do you have something akin to the Hope Diamond to lay on these people?
Do you have the goods?

I mean, is this going to F-ing make their asses squirm... as Harry Cohen (head of Columbia) once said, "I know if it's good if it makes my ass squirm."

You're trying out for the AAA teams now.

T
Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #39
ddlogan
User

I advise everybody on this forum to ignore Takezo's past and future posts. He has way too much freetime on his hands, don't take anything with even a grain of salt.
ddlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #40
Farnsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlogan View Post
I advise everybody on this forum to ignore Takezo's past and future posts. He has way too much freetime on his hands, don't take anything with even a grain of salt.
I advise everybody on this forum to ignore ddlogan's past and future posts. He has way too much freetime on his hands, don't take anything with even a grain of salt.

Takezo is the kind of poster you search for on the Members List so that you don't miss one bon mot.
Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote