Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
via negativa
Regular

Default Re: Which studios respect the "singular voice"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant_karma View Post
I think the voice of the marketing department is the only voice they really respect.
Funny you should say that, because the author of that article wrote:

"At Fox, the real art form isn't the movie, but picking the right release date and creating the right poster and trailer."

And then:

"And as long as the studio keeps making boatloads of money, the true art in its movies will be the art you see in the marketing campaign, not anything you see up on screen."
via negativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
via negativa
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwriter View Post
Not a studio, but Phoenix Pictures stays with one writer the whole way. They're involved in the development process and they take the project into studios as is, take it or leave it. If the studio wants to get involved with bringing on new writers or new elements -- no deal.
I love how ballsy this is. This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. For a second there, I thought entities like this didn't exist, but I guess they do. So, yeah...anybody else (studios, production companies, whatever...) share the same philosophy? It's just a little inspiring to hear about.
via negativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
Hamboogul

Singular voice implies that the original writer or the main writer is right. While there are countless examples of movies that were ruined by having too many chefs in the kitchen, CASABLANCA, arguably one of the greatest movies of all time, was written by many writers on the fly, even as production was in progress.

I think the best way to protect your "voice" or "vision" is to write such a phenomenal script that no one wants to tinker with it.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #14
Mac H.

Why would this 'respect' be desirable?

There is one movie studio that has never made a flop - Pixar.

Their movies are almost perfection. And yet don't have any of this stuff about respecting a single writer's 'singular voice' - in fact they are entirely the opposite.

So why would you want a studio that uses a method that is historically so unsuccessful ? Sure - it might work occasionally and there are obviously problems with going the other way just for the sake of it.

But is it really such a winning strategy for the final product ?

Mac
(PS: It's interesting that Phoenix Pictures seems to use this strategy. Or do they? Wasn't 'License To Wed' originally basically by Kim Barker - but then they brought in another writing team? Not a bad thing - I'm just not convinced that it's a such a religious conviction with them)
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
redwriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac H. View Post
(PS: It's interesting that Phoenix Pictures seems to use this strategy. Or do they? Wasn't 'License To Wed' originally basically by Kim Barker - but then they brought in another writing team? Not a bad thing - I'm just not convinced that it's a such a religious conviction with them)
This is what I was told in a general. I don't know how long they've been putting this to practice, but I seem to remember them referencing a movie they produced that got completely butchered by the studio. It may have been License to Wed, actually, but don't quote me on that. So now they like to retain creative control. That doesn't mean they don't like collaboration. They just want to know that the finished product will resemble the project they signed onto.

Last edited by redwriter : 08-12-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
redwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac H. View Post
Why would this 'respect' be desirable?

There is one movie studio that has never made a flop - Pixar.

Their movies are almost perfection. And yet don't have any of this stuff about respecting a single writer's 'singular voice' - in fact they are entirely the opposite.

So why would you want a studio that uses a method that is historically so unsuccessful ? Sure - it might work occasionally and there are obviously problems with going the other way just for the sake of it.

But is it really such a winning strategy for the final product ?

Mac
Yeah, the Pixar thing is sort of like a Borg approach. You all exist to serve the voice that is Pixar, they have a bunch of core guys that consult on story, and are completely merciless with each other, so I think it's way off to say that Pixar is about a singular writer voice, they aren't at all.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote