Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
pickerman123
User

Default So this is what happened to me...

So here’s what happened:

I sent production X my Logline. They want to look at it. Person at Production company X (a company which has several Oscars to its credit) loves it. Creative Person at Production Company X says he pitched the script to the and the CEO thinks it’s great.

Person at Production Company X wants to “tweak” the script (to which I have no issues whatsoever and I specifically told him so).

Creative Person at Production Company X makes what he deems are needed minor changes (which were so-so). He tells me quote: I’ve never come across a script so close to be able to shop around.” He even tells me he’ll help find a rep for it.

Anyway, Person at Production Company X sends the script back to me and I work on his changes and we speak over the phone and he loves the fact I’ve enhanced his work. Now “we’re cooking”, I think.

I explain to him why I modified what he changed and he tells me he has no problem with it. I read him what I’ve done and he’s excited. I email it to him.

Now here’s the really weird part: I never heard from him again. It’s been over a week and I even sent an email asking him if everything is okay. Zippo, nothing.

So I figure, something has happened on his end (maybe he didn’t like my changes to his changes and his ego couldn’t stand it).

I emailed him telling him if circumstances have changed, and he’s decided to pass that I appreciated the brief time we spoke and I wish him the best.

Still no acknowledgement even to a cordial e-mail. Not even a “Sorry it didn’t work out”, or even a “I don’t think we’d be a good fit with this script, Best Regards”.

I can’t get my head around this one. It’s never happened to me. Has anyone experienced this 180 degree turn around from excited to ignore? If so, please let me know, I’d hate to think I’m the only one who has gone through this!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Todd Karate
Regular

Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

It's only been a week.

Any number of things could have come up in that time that demanded his immediate attention.

He'll get back to you.
Todd Karate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
CthulhuRises

It was only a week. Sometimes these people get busy. Really busy. It's possible he's just had his hands full or he's out of town or something else came up which required his attention. Maybe he hasn't even had a chance to read your changes yet. I think it would have been best to temper yourself and wait a bit longer before sending the second e-mail (I don't see a problem with sending the first as a follow-up).
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Racoon
User

In this business I've learned that patience is needed. One week is not a lot of tiime for somone to get to a script. Two weeks, you might want to think about follow up. And if you do, make it short sentence or two. And don't over anticipate things. Just relax . . . It's probably nothing to do with your script and something that just took up his time.

Racoon
Racoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Aspirant

Dude, this sounds good to me. Don't jump to conclusions! I know it's hard, but try to be patient. I'd say you should wait at least another week before there's any cause for concern. My advice would be, don't send another email until you hear back. If another week or so goes by with no contact, then call. Hold it together, man! :-)
Aspirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
jcgary

Give up, sounds like you did something to piss him off or maybe the rewrite was really bad and probably you should consider just quitting --

I'm kidding!

You're all good, don't sweat it, don't worry about it. Check in in another week or two, but just remember these things take time. Yer fine.
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
wcmartell

A week is nothing... a month is nothing. Time flies.

But a watched pot never boils - I know, I've tried it. So, what are you writng *now*? What story is your obssession?

- Bill
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
MacG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
A week is nothing... a month is nothing. Time flies.
Indeed. It's three weeks and counting since I sent my managers a four-page(!) outline to look over for a pre-existing script I want them to read....

I feel your frustration, pickerman, but try to make the most of the Waiting Game and start brainstorming that next big idea to pitch this guy when he finally does respond.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
scripto80

Chill. Give it another week. If still nothing, PICK UP THE PHONE and call him just to "check in". Don't make it a bigger deal than it is just yet.
scripto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
BattleDolphinZero

Okay, how is no one addressing the fact you let an exec make changes to your script.

No
No
No
No
No
No
No

YOU make the agreed upon changes. I think it is a terrible precedent. And it's the kind of thing that can blossom into something retarded. Maybe it's just me, but I would have a fvcking meltdown. I don't even want producers/execs correcting a spelling mistake.

No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No

If it's a director, fine. But Goddamn.
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote