Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
TimAucoin
User

Default Claimed Hollywood writer's script formatting notes (are they wrong??)

https://www.scribd.com/document/3864...cript-Analysis

I received these notes from a client that just ordered a script edit off me. He decided to attach this formatting analysis from someone else, even though it was for another script. To be honest I'm not really sure why he did that, but I read through it and most of it seems wrong to me.

This apparent screenwriter that's sold 7 scripts to studios has a typo in the very first paragraph, then goes on to say in regards to the use of "we see" that "NO MAJOR SCRIPT contains it." I know this is total BS as I read studio scripts regularly and see it all the time. And the one note that REALLY felt wrong to me was saying how you never open a script with voice over before introducing who's talking. This can't be right as I've read/seen many films that do just that, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring comes to mind as an example.

Most of the notes just don't seem right to me, but I'm also not a big time Hollywood screenwriter that's sold anything so maybe I'm wrong. So I would be very interested to hear what some professionals think of this persons notes.
TimAucoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
JasonRaven
User

Default Re: Claimed Hollywood writer's script formatting notes (are they wrong??)

Hi, thanks for this topic as I'm very new to this ''business' and this was actually the first time I read a detailed ''examination'' of any script.

That being said, this will probably mean nothing to you, but after talking to a few people who have been writing scripts for years and after asking questions here on the site, I got the impression that people who read scripts and decide whether it's worth investing time in them or not all have different schemes for evaluation, different wishes, preferences etc. They all follow one skeleton of written code for these things, but they add/subtract elements as they wish/think it's best. That's the picture I formed after these few months. I may very well be wrong though.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:24 AM   #3
Centos

Default Re: Claimed Hollywood writer's script formatting notes (are they wrong??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAucoin View Post
Most of the notes just don't seem right to me, but I'm also not a big time Hollywood screenwriter that's sold anything so maybe I'm wrong. So I would be very interested to hear what some professionals think of this persons notes.
I'm not a professional, but these "rules" look like pure crap to me.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Incognito
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centos View Post
I'm not a professional, but these "rules" look like pure crap to me.
I am a professional and these rules are pure crap.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
JeffLowell

Concur on crap.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
TigerFang

Tim, the person who wrote those notes is full of crap. Because everything sounds fancier in French, what you've brought us, Tim, is a two-hat, or “deux-chapeaux” situation. First, you'll need two hats.

Then, you put his crap in the first hat, or “Ensuite, vous mettez sa merde dans le premier chapeau”
Next, you cover the first hat with the second hat, or “Ensuite, vous couvrez le premier chapeau avec le deuxième chapeau.”
Finally, there it is! It's finished! or “Enfin, le voilà! C'est fini!”

Leave the ‘crap-eaux’ in those ‘chapeaux’ and throw them out toute suite.

Last edited by TigerFang : 08-18-2018 at 04:33 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
TimAucoin
User

That's what I thought. It's too bad he's pulled the wool over many an eye on the freelancing site he's on. He has a five star review and thousands of orders. It's a shame.
TimAucoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Crayon

Quote:
That's what I thought. It's too bad he's pulled the wool over many an eye on the freelancing site he's on. He has a five star review and thousands of orders. It's a shame.
Who is he?

Please post a link to his profile on that freelancing site.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Crayon

Quote:
Tim, any chance you can post a link to that guy's profile on the freelancing site, so that we don't also fall for his egregious baloney?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #10
Crayon

Quote:
Tim, I know you're there; I can hear you reading. C'mon, be a good sport and share a link to that charlatan.