Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Cokeyskunk
User

Default Very unique situation - how to query manager/agent?

Hi all,

Need advice. I have a Dallas-based literary manager whom has helped me publish several things in the past. But last year, I attempted a somewhat ridiculous venture that is now, surprisingly, starting to pay off.

I broke the cardinal sin of writing: I wrote a screenplay for an existing franchise.

But this year, I let my manager read it, and he fell completely in love with it. Thanks to many of his efforts, the script has really picked-up steam and several media outlets have picked up the story about me writing the screenplay, and are even considering it the next volume in the franchise. In fact, two very influential "faces" of the franchise are now rallying for the script to be produced.

(Yes, I've already consulted a copyright/trademark entertainment attorney in L.A., and he said I'm doing nothing wrong.)

This is where I need advice:

My manager has said the momentum has outgrown him and I really need to find representation in L.A. to handle it from here - which he assures me shouldn't be too hard with the media buzz going on about it now.

I'm fine with doing that, but it seems ridiculous to send a traditional query to managers and agencies under these circumstances. Especially with it being for a franchise.

Would it be better just to send an email with a brief explanation of what's going on, adding links to all the media interest, and giving a quick breakdown of my experience and my other existing produced (and unproduced) works -- rather than a traditional query?

Or will most managers and agents close the email the instant they see it's not written in the traditional format?

All opinions are highly coveted. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cokeyskunk : 11-19-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Cokeyskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
harbak
User

Default Re: Very unique situation - how to query manager/agent?

You just need to start making some phone calls to the powers that be that control the IP. In reality the "buzz" in the local media won't matter to an LA based producer or studio, but can't hurt to mention it. I would basically just pick up the phone and make a couple calls.

You may have to call a person or twos reps before you get anywhere but you can get all those numbers from IMDB Pro and start calling. Good luck.
harbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Cokeyskunk
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbak View Post
You just need to start making some phone calls to the powers that be that control the IP. In reality the "buzz" in the local media won't matter to an LA based producer or studio, but can't hurt to mention it. I would basically just pick up the phone and make a couple calls.

You may have to call a person or twos reps before you get anywhere but you can get all those numbers from IMDB Pro and start calling. Good luck.
Already spoke to someone there. They said without it being submitted by a manager or agent, it's considered "unsolicited material," which they do not accept. However, they did say, "We'll be happy to read it when your representative submits it."

So, I have to go this route.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
Already spoke to someone there. They said without it being submitted by a manager or agent, it's considered "unsolicited material," which they do not accept. However, they did say, "We'll be happy to read it when your representative submits it."

At this point, doesn't your current literary manager still represent you? If so, can't he submit the material for you -- especially since it was his suggestion in the first place?

I probably missed something. I can be pretty dense.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Cokeyskunk
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
At this point, doesn't your current literary manager still represent you? If so, can't he submit the material for you -- especially since it was his suggestion in the first place?

I probably missed something. I can be pretty dense.

Good luck.
He could, but he has asked me to find an L.A. manager or agent to take it from here, as he feels they could do much more than him.

So, I need to know the best way to query: must I go traditional formatting, or would a quick, descriptive email with links be the best option?

Last edited by Cokeyskunk : 11-19-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
CthulhuRises

Quote:

That's the polite way of saying they aren't interested.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Cokeyskunk
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuRises View Post
That's the polite way of saying they aren't interested.
She was very much a gatekeeper. Probably a receptionist. It's extremely likely she's been told to tell everyone they only accept and read solicited material, which is exactly what she did.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best approach to an management company or agency for this?
Old 11-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
jsb235
New User

Quote:

In fact, two very influential "faces" of the franchise are now rallying for the script to be produced.
Seems like this is your answer. If they are behind it, just ask them to put in a word with their reps, and they should be able to hook you up.
jsb235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
Cokeyskunk
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb235 View Post
Seems like this is your answer. If they are behind it, just ask them to put in a word with their reps, and they should be able to hook you up.

One is considering it. He is reading the script now. The other no longer has representation, so he's not an option.

But I'd like to not keep all my eggs in that one basket and venture out on my own efforts. I just need to know the best way to approach.

Again, a very healthy amount of momentum has grown from this, and my STARmeter on IMDb has skyrocketed, as a result. The time to approach is now. I just need to know if I should send them a brief email describing the situation, or if I'll be ignored if I don't submit in traditional query format?
Old 11-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
JoeNYC

Quote:
He could, but he has asked me to find an L.A. manager or agent to take it from here, as he feels they could do much more than him.
Easier said than done.

I'm not feeling this manager. Can't this manager act as a introductory conduit to L.A. managers, such as, I represent a writer (name writer) who's getting a lot of heat from the press and (name of two influential faces) about (franchise script) and I'd like to connect him to an LA. manager. Can I send an original sample of his work for your consideration and possibility of representation?

In order to demonstrate your abilities as a writer, it's best to let the L.A. people, who you are looking to represent you, look at a strong, original sample, but of course if they ask to read the franchise script...

The foundation of a franchise script was developed by someone else, i.e., world, characters, etc. L.A. people would want to know if you could achieve great writing without pigging backing on someone else's work.

Also, another problem with trying to break in with a franchise script is that these are usually cash cows for studios and they usually like to have proven professional writers (screenplay writers) on board to protect their baby. I say usually because there are exceptions.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote