Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #71
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: Nicholl 2019

I agree with Bono...

Not to be a downer, but to keep it real:

I mentioned in another thread that I asked my ex (asking for a friend, literally) if she reads the Nicholl wining script. THE WINNER. And she said "No, don't have time. I've heard of Nicholl, but I don't really know what it is."

Just understand that there are many higher level reps out there at the bigs that don't give a fukk about Nicholl and don't read the "WINNERS". My ex, swear to God, never read a single winner. Not once.

Most of her new clients came from publishers.

PUBLISHER: "Hey, I have this successful novelist who wants to try writing screenplays. Their book has sold ___ amount of copies and is on the NYTimes best seller list in the ___ position for ___ weeks."

EX: "Okay, cool, send me their book."

How the fukk do you compete with that?

Don't assume that even if you WIN Nicholl that every agent in town will scramble to read your script. Some, simply don't care. Some do (newer) some don't (established). The more established reps, if anything, are looking to poach already successful clients from other BIGS. Especially nowadays. Their rosters are pretty full.

Sorry to be the wet towel. Just want to be honest about what to expect. Not saying you won't get a rep by winning, just, there are many reps who simply don't care. Whereby they're high enough that Nicholl is not on their radar.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #72
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I agree with Bono...

Not to be a downer, but to keep it real:
No no, not at all. Your rep-centric comments are always useful to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
...Don't assume that even if you WIN Nicholl that every agent in town will scramble to read your script. Some, simply don't care. Some do (newer) some don't (established)...
Maybe it's just me, but surely most who play the contest game are actually dreaming of the $$$.

As for obtaining representation, what would one do with me? After a decade, and 50+ specs, it's been a long time since I've even pursued an agent or manager. (I think I sent stuff to a few agents in 2017, though I've contacted a few recently in my guise as a 'facilitating producer' as I sought attachments. Yes, that particular job will sure be a lot easier after my first deal...)

And as for reps' interest in reading contest placements, I'm sure you're right, in general. On the other hand, I have seen reps on VPF and InkTip (and I assume other such places do it, too) who've requested Semifinalists and above. They'd be foolish not to consider that something good has come from an unknown (given that only amateurs, or under $25K types, compete in these things).

You also mention how reps strongly desire source material, versus specs.

Naturally. Specs are harder to sell, so I get it. (Most) contests are only about specs (though it's fine if they're based on your own novel etc., but that's rare).

I'm throwing a prediction out there that I'll have my first deal (whatever that entails) in under a year. In a way, I entered the 2019 Nicholl merely as a last-chance opportunity for this traditional way of gaining recognition to prove itself. If a deal happens, and I've NEVER ever placed in a contest, or even have a rep, what does that say about this industry?

Only that there are six ways from Sunday to do anything.

For example, through nothing but pitching I presently have 8 different scripts being read (9 reads, if I count one script with two producers). This was through old-fashioned cold queries, InkTip, and a funny one via LinkedIn just last Friday.

The advantage of all of these was, of course, that they were virtually free; the InkTip newsletter is under $4 a week.

Semi-retired, as I am now, I have very little money (for notes, contests, pitch services, etc.) but I sure have a hell of a lot of time.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #73
GucciGhostXXX

God damn... Then you are hustling-ass! Doing exactly what you should be. 9 scripts being read? WOW! That's how you play the game! Good for you! I only have 1 out currently LOL. Loser!!! Ha!

Definitely 'six ways to Sunday' as to how to operate in this biz. I posted somewhere how I got my new manager, it was ugly, but it worked. Whatever works. Truth is, I was repping myself in order to push for that in the first place (I had to manipulate, persuade and use sell tactics to get my ex to send it out. GAMING the GAME, as it were.).

IDK... seems like you're doing everything you can based on what I've read of you here.

Best of luck!
Old 07-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #74
catcon

The #1 rule for breaking in is: Try everything... and be patient!

The LinkedIn request I got last Friday was off a message I sent to the producer on that platform, last October 26th! I know he's been logged in since then, so it just must be that these guys themselves are exhausting and re-hashing every possibility to find stuff - including, it seems, going over ancient LinkedIn messages to see if anything's been missed.

It's a strange, strange biz.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #75
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
The #1 rule for breaking in is: Try everything... and be patient!

The LinkedIn request I got last Friday was off a message I sent to the producer on that platform, last October 26th! I know he's been logged in since then, so it just must be that these guys themselves are exhausting and re-hashing every possibility to find stuff - including, it seems, going over ancient LinkedIn messages to see if anything's been missed.

It's a strange, strange biz.

Super strange biz. But, good for you for getting a request after planting the seed. Hope it works out!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #76
ClintW3
Regular

Shouldn't notifications be sent, like, any day now?
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #77
catcon

You and I seem to be the only ones who care this year, but maybe the slight delay is simply because they're simply sticking to what their FAQ says - that notifications are supposed to be by July 31.

Either that, or we were spoiled silly over the years by Greg Beal, who used to run it, who simply cracked the whip more and got things done more quickly.

Well, we're writers, so let's imagine some conspiracy theories: Among the hundreds of planned quarterfinalists, the organizers have uncovered a bunch of cheaters who'd earned >$25K, or are actually experienced pros put out of work by the current Guild-Agency squabbles, who're just trying to make a buck to make that end-of-month car loan, or they found one writer submitted 63 screenplays under 21 different pseudonyms, or, or, or...
Old 07-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #78
catcon

Congrats on your 2017! Actually, I haven't 'played' since 2016, so I am not the expert to know whether the quarterfinal announcement still comes in as early as it had in earlier years.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #79
Hernan Giaggio
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
I placed in 2017, didn't place in 2018... I'm dreading the results to be honest, it's been nice fantasising that the comments are about my scripts. I don't want that to be over for another year...
Anyway, good luck all. Cross your fingers and toes.
Feelin' this. I got a QF my first time out (first script, first submission) in 2015, then got nothing in 2016, then got semis in 2017, and bupkis in 2018. So I'm obviously hoping to go for the finals in this odd year! But I'm totally prepared for a repeat of three zeroes like last year...
Hernan Giaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #80
Colin Holmes
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintW3 View Post
Shouldn't notifications be sent, like, any day now?
I won't be surprised if it's not next week. Nothing happens fast.
Colin Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote