Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
finalact4

Default Synopsis -- Producer to Financiers

okay. so awesome news. spoke to the producer interested in my spec.

he found it on the black list. thought the reviews were amazing with high scores and requested it directly from me to read-- i like people who do that. he could have just downloaded it, but contacted me directly instead.

he asked about the open end-- and i pitched him two possible sequels, and he said he really liked that and thought it could add value to his financiers-- i mention that for a reason...

he loved it. thought it was cutting-edge. thought the story and characters were incredible. he loved the social media aspect where the world watches the murders as they are live streamed through the dark web.

and i really enjoyed talking to him. he got it. all of it. all the references, the style. the psychological horror of it. i felt totally comfortable and he had a great energy and passion for it already. check. check.

he even asked me if what my intentions were-- he didn't even hesitate when he asked did i want to direct? and though i'd love to, i told him i've never done it before, i haven't even shot a short-- but i want it to be the best film it can be so i'm on board with what that means.

so here's my weekend homework. i need to write a synopsis that is a couple of pages long. he wants me to give an overview of the story, talk about the characters and their motivation, the major points, but he doesn't want me to reveal to much about the twist ending.

he said that he wants to send it out to his financiers next week. his financiers are interested in this type of material and he really thinks he can get it made. he wants to send them the synopsis, then follow up with the spec. he wants to produce it and thinks he can get it made-- music to my ears.

what should i include in the synopsis? i've never written one before? i will google online as well, but can you guys give me some advice? it needs to be written in the same style as the script, right? the same tone? voice? do i write it flat out like a story? or do i do a story overview with major plot? subplot or no subplot? theme overview? character detail and motivations?

what would be too much information? what font? is it double spaced? clearly, i have no clue.

any help is appreciated. i love this feeling... you know, when someone really loves the world you created as much as you do.

today is a good day.

POST EDIT:
okay, i forgot to mention (i was so excited) when he asked my intentions he asked about directing AND if i wanted to be a producer or just sell it outright. so, i do want to be a producer in the project. how do i do that? what does it mean? i want to see it through the entire process. can you help me understand how to do that? i know, i'm an ignorant idiot... ugh

Last edited by finalact4 : 07-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Bono

Default Re: Synopsis -- Producer to Financiers

Very exciting -- did you find out anything about him? Has he made movies before? Are the money people random Russians or you don't know? Just curious how much did he gives you on what makes him legit?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Very exciting -- did you find out anything about him? Has he made movies before? Are the money people random Russians or you don't know? Just curious how much did he gives you on what makes him legit?
he is legit. has four credits. one last year. one in dev and one filming now. his producing partner has 4 in dev, one shooting, three releases last year alone. don't know who the financiers are yet.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
catcon

May not be of much help to you, but my writing follows this pattern:

- outline (40 pages or more)
- synopsis (3-4 pages; mine are long, which is just my style)
- screenplay (105 pages)

I consciously write my synopses from my outlines, which is a story source that's simpler than the full-blown script, and thus easier to break down into the smaller chunk.

But never mind my methods: I don't know if you outlined your spec, or if so if the outline is still relevant (or too many changes made in the script stage). But to make something that's 2 pages long may be easier by parsing that, than trying to devolve the full script into 2 pages.

catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Bono

A synopsis is simple a prose retelling of the plot.

ROBOT DIVORCE

Matt Damon wakes up. He goes to work. He finds out he's a robot. He meets a female Robot named Ben Affleck. They fall in love. But then they fight. And he wants to get a robot divorce and the whole movie is a court room drama about whether robots have rights.

I'm sure you can google a synopsis of a famous film. Or just look at most Wikipedia entries for movies for ideas...

https://www.writersdigest.com/publis...ansom-thriller
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
muckraker

Seems pretty straightforward to me. It's just an encapsulation of the major plot points of the story, in the order it happens. Basically this is part of what coverage entails, so the party can read two pages instead of 100+ and still get what happens from start to finish. Obviously there a selection process at play as you can't include everything, but it's not that hard. If you find yourself going overboard, just write it out and then edit it down to size. You can probably find examples of script coverage online that will give you some idea. Good luck!
muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
GucciGhostXXX

First off: congrats!

Secondly: you and I wrote a VERY similar horror. Maybe mine was too dark. No idea. But, same, the murders happen in real time etc.

Producing? Be an asset, who can you call? How can you help? All that sh!t.

The ďcat nipĒ imo donít fall for it. Iíve done that with a HUGE producer and it didnít work out. Try. But donít OVER try IMO.

Synopsis. Simple. Prose. Tight. Personally, I suck at that sh!t. Itís a tough call, do you do it yourself and AVOID anyone below him getting in his ear (with negatives), or do you ask one of his people to do it and you edit it. IDK. I have mixed feelings, as I like to see how others respond to my sh!t, unless itís badly.

Nah... do it yourself and donít risk it.

Good luck!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
GucciGhostXXX

Also... Iíd ask THEM to tell ME what are the main points you liked. Get him to give you a synopsis to work off to know what he responded to. Or anyone else whoís read it.

Feel me? ďtell my story back to me.Ē There you go, thatís what they gave a fukk about. Now tweak to taste.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
GucciGhostXXX

Also... my buddy just made a film (writer/director). The financing was sketchy. Fukk it, get a movie made as a director, now youíre a director. Forever...
Old 07-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
what should i include in the synopsis? i've never written one before? i will google online as well, but can you guys give me some advice? it needs to be written in the same style as the script, right? the same tone? voice? do i write it flat out like a story? or do i do a story overview with major plot? subplot or no subplot? theme overview? character detail and motivations?

what would be too much information? what font? is it double spaced? clearly, i have no clue.
The example Bono posted should more than work. Here is one from the main site as well: http://www.donedealpro.com/members/d...ection_ id=13

A synopsis for coverage though is going to be different than a synopsis to sell someone. Coverage is almost always flat & dry. It's simply information for the producer, director, executive or rep reading it to understood what took place and be able to sound like they actually read the material.

For your situation, write two pages as requested. Don't go overboard and make it too flowery or prose like, but give it some spark. Make them feel a bit like you would want them to while watching it. Spooked? Nervous? Whatever. Choose words that compliment the tone & feel. The person doesn't stab at the girl, they slash. Blood doesn't drip, it splatters everywhere! It's not a scream they hear, but rather a blood curdling scream or chilling scream. Or a scream in agony. Etc. Just as a synopsis for a comedy, should be funny, yours should have some sense of "horror" to it.

Make it single-spaced. And choose a font like Times New Roman, Arial, Tahoma, or my current favorite, Calibri. That's all it needs to be. Don't sweat it too much. But do keep it looking straightforward and EASY on the eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
okay, i forgot to mention (i was so excited) when he asked my intentions he asked about directing AND if i wanted to be a producer or just sell it outright. so, i do want to be a producer in the project. how do i do that? what does it mean? i want to see it through the entire process. can you help me understand how to do that? i know, i'm an ignorant idiot... ugh
How do you be a producer? It's everything and nothing, depending on what kind of producer you really are. As you know, entire books are written on the subject. USC has the two-year Stark Program dedicated to just teaching people how to become a producer. Thus, there is no short answer really. That said...

There are producers that find the material, development, hire the director, set the project up at a studio or find financing, help to cast it, are on set all day, watch cuts of the film later on to give notes, etc. etc. Generally they are the person that deals with all the big picture stuff a director doesn't have time to deal with.

There are producers, executive producers, co-executive producers, EP/line producers, co-producers, and associate producers. Unless you worked on the actual film you don't know what each person truly did. I've worked on studio films where a couple of the producers never came to set; I never met or saw them and still haven't to this day. I've worked on films where the "producers" got paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, and I contributed more than they did. (And I say that with an incredible amount of humility.)

In your case, if you've never produced, it might be more of a gift title, especially if you don't get paid tons. Depending how about good your contract/agreement is, you may or may not be flown to set, given housing, a car and per diem. You might stand quietly in the back and observe the whole time. Nothing wrong with that really. But you probably won't be heavily involved or asked to do much.

A lot of how involved a producer is depends on who they are. Jerry Bruckheimer carries a lot of weight during the entire process. John Doe has nothing. Some just get projects set up, maybe do development on it, then leave it up to real producers, the director and the crew to make it. They are deal makers, that's all. Others are there first thing every day and frequently the last to go home. They battle it out over budgeting, scheduling, pace of the shoot -- is the director "making their day" each day? -- and so on. There are lots of moving parts on even a small film. Fires to put out every day.

If you love the project, stay/get attached as producer and get all you can out of it. A bit will depend on how much of a diva the director is and how truly involved and collaborative the producer is on the project you are currently dealing with.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote