X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Entertainment Attorney Fees

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    This is my experience as well.
    I find it hard to believe an attorney would pay anything out-of-pocket, even with the promise of 5% of something someday. What about their claim the retainer is for the sundry items such as courier, photocopying, or even "paper clips"?

Comment

This is a blast from the past.

As an update, the deal didn't come through so there were no fees. As others have said, 5%, even if it's of nothing -- which is what it was in that case. He was a legit entertainment attorney.

Comment

Catcon is right --there are "multiple ways to skin the cat".

The method she is using is one that has been suggested numerous times by a professional screenwriter, who comments often on this site.

It's how he broke into the business and it has worked well for him.
        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
          I find it hard to believe an attorney would pay anything out-of-pocket, even with the promise of 5% of something someday. What about their claim the retainer is for the sundry items such as courier, photocopying, or even "paper clips"?
          Well, believe it, it's a fact. My lawyer has never asked me for a dime. Now, I am fortunate, (and I know that) to have a lawyer in a reputable, well known firm for A-listers, hopefully, he will be my lawyer for years to come, but who knows, right?

I have not had to submit a retainer or any other fee or expense for representation and negotiation of offered contracts. My lawyer is working for me on the expectation that something I write will generate income for him in the future. Maybe that's not always the case, (I don't know) but it is for me.

I have not been asked, and have been reassured that I will not have to ever pay anything upfront. The percentage comes off the sale or option purchase price.

Besides, any contract can be emailed, printed, signed, scanned and returned via email, it' perfectly legitimate. No courier fees, no photocopying fees. And seriously, how many paperclips could they possibly use on my contract work? Not even a single box's worth.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Follow-up question, then: The 5% for negotiating an actual deal aside, what about payment for other advice, or (where it happens, occasionally) where s/he does a submission for you to a producer?

My first arrangement with this attorney was for a special submission back in 2010; I have to admit that's probably how we ended up with a retainer-type agreement in the first place.

Do you folks have a separate $ arrangement for special legal projects and advice?

Comment

bump

The thread took on a theme of % vs. hourly rates, but in my last post I asked:

"Do you folks have a separate $ arrangement for special legal projects and advice?"

That is, legal issues come up that don't fall under the simple contract negotiations @ 5%. What arrangements do you have for those?

Comment

catcom, perhaps you could elaborate on the situation you are referring to that would not 'fall under the simple contract situations @ 5%'?

Comment

Submissions, copyright advice, going over confusing points on a submission release, etc. Any and all. I've used my fellow for all of these. I also have a signed agreement at an hourly rate; it's a rate that's lower than that I once paid for a trademark attorney, so I don't think it's out-of-line.

I could get specific about the more esoteric issues with which he's helped me, but that's not what I intended with my question. Generally, we should avoid coming to writers' boards to seek specific legal advice.

Lawyers are one of the two or three pillars of our side of the business, and they can't be expected to work for free or on-spec on non-negotiation jobs. Maybe I just wanted to know more about everyone's professional relationship with their attorney, or to see if anyone has come up with a creative solution to these potentially high upfront or ongoing costs, especially that unpleasant 'retainer' business.

Comment

bump

As before, we all understand the lawyer gets 5% to look over and negotiate a deal, but have any of you also been expected to provide a retainer? My guy wants $1000, and says it's his firm's policy. (He's the co-VP of their Entertainment Division, but it's a big firm so maybe it's true that he can't alter the policy)
                    Last edited by catcon; 04-06-2017, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Yes, my attorney required a retainer, but only as a signed document appointing him as attorney. No money was requested or expected. And, yes, he charges 5% like the others do.

Comment

Working...
                      X