No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who would you like to write/direct new Star Wars film

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
    We don't need to return to the prequels ever again, in fact we should have never gone there in the first place. The entire story of the prequels is perfectly well covered in one throwaway line in Episode IV and need never have been filmed.

The future though, that's unwritten, that's exciting, though I agree to an extent that ROTJ ends on such a perfect note, it really is that sort of 'and everyone lived happily ever after' ending, which it's a shame to diminish in a way by brining the Empire back or creating some other new type of threat, still, there's no alternative I suspect.
    I disagree. I think the prequels could have been magnificent, better even than the original trilogy, but they were utterly and completely botched.

The recollections of Gary Kurtz (the producer of the two indisputably great Star Wars films, Star Wars and Empire) are very instructive in this. The prequel trilogy was originally going to begin much further back in time and show the founding of the Jedi knights, and by extension likely the genesis of the Lords of the Sith, etc. That could have been an epic tale. Vader's rise and fall, told correctly, could have made for a single, powerful third film.

The sequels that are now being made pose a problem because originally, Return of the Jedi wasn't going to tie things up in such a neat little bow, but was going to have an Empire-like bittersweet ending that would have left open all sorts of storylines:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seque..._recollections

The battle with the emperor wasn't originally going to occur until Ep. IX.
    Last edited by karsten; 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I agree that Vader's story had enough material for one good film really, two at a stretch. Episode 1 essentially has no story to it at all, with the briefest of exposition you could have started things off at Episode 2.

Problem is, the prequels focusing on the fall of Anakin is a downer of a story, and there's just no way getting round that, so I can't seem them ever being a success on the level of the original trilogy. I mean, prior to the prequels, in my mind Anakin Skywalker was this noble Samurai like warrior who I imagine would have turned to the dark side for some tragic honourable reason, but watching the prequels he just turned out to be some annoying, whiney, creepy, dumb teenager who killed a bunch of kids and sand people.

Comment

in my mind Anakin Skywalker was this noble Samurai like warrior who I imagine would have turned to the dark side for some tragic honourable reason
        Agreed. This is what could and should have happened.

but watching the prequels he just turned out to be some annoying, whiney, creepy, dumb teenager who killed a bunch of kids and sand people.
        No dispute.

Comment

The interesting thing to me is that I actually kind of liked AOTC and ROTS (PM was terrible), but I don't connect them with the original films. When I watch the original trilogy, I don't think of any of the characters being the same as in the prequels.

It's like the prequels would be some kind of alternate history fan fiction. When I watch Darth Vader in A New Hope, I don't believe for a second he could have ever been the kid in Phantom Menace, or the dumb, angsty teen in the other two prequels. It simply doesn't compute.

So the prequels don't affect my viewings of the original trilogy even in the slightest.

Comment

update; Michael Arnst....

I didn't read all the forum posts but I know Lucasfilm/ILM chose Michael Arnst to write the new Star Wars SP.
            No updates about the new dir yet.
            I for 1, highly doubt Lucas or Disney could pump out a Star Wars film in 2/2.5 years. 2016 maybe.
            As for the plots/characters, scuttlebutt sez Disney is pushing for the 3 year period between TESB & ROTJ. With Darth Vader & a few new characters being the focus. For you super-fans that's approx 3, 3.5 ABY(after the battle of Yarvin) or 3 years after the New Hope battle to destroy the Death Star.
            I'd lean towards a story arc/plot that shows the main cast/characters 20 years later with younger cast members to draw the teen demo & age with the 3 films.
            There are good sources in a few novels, graphic novels & video games.

Beef
            I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Fincher.

Comment

I think it's going to be Steven Spielberg.
                "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Can only be Spielberg.

Comment

There's a solid 15ish year time span before vader and luke meet for the first time. If the prequels were the creation of vader and a new hope is where luke enters the picture then these years would essentially fall during the construction-phase of the empire...
                    life happens
                    despite a few cracked pots-
                    and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
                      Fincher.
                      "I am Yoda's wasted midichlorians."

Comment

Kasdan back?

http://sciencefiction.com/2012/11/20...rs-vii-and-ix/

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                          That is the most promising development I've heard yet. I don't know what exactly his involvement will be, but he should have been the first choice from the get go.

What a pity that Lucas didn't team with him for the prequels.

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
                            "I am Yoda's wasted midichlorians."
                            :>)

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                              That is the most promising development I've heard yet. I don't know what exactly his involvement will be, but he should have been the first choice from the get go.

What a pity that Lucas didn't team with him for the prequels.
                              Kasdan as a choice would give me hope.

Comment

I swore I had read/heard that Kasdan consulted on the prequels after the first one turned out so disastrously, but now I think I'm making that up.

Comment

Working...
                                X