X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great scripts destroyed by poor direction

Basically what the title says. One right of the top of my head is :

Last Action Hero by Zak Penn and Adam Leff
    It started as a terrific spec and ended up a terrific disaster. All of the elements were in place to make a fantastic send up of the action genre. It could have been the action movie version of Purple Rose of Cairo. Arnold Schwarzenegger was at the top of his career, as was John McTiernan. Send in Shane Black to to a little rewrite and it should have been brilliant.

John McTiernan should have been bullet proof, coming off Predator, Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October, but he really let his ego get the best of him, and struggled to find the tone of the movie. It's a shame, because the original spec, Extremely Violent, was really solid.

Any others? I've heard that David People's script for Soldier was pretty good too.

Re: Great scripts destroyed by poor direction

Eh, I still think Last Action Hero was awesome - it's all subjective.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Based on the preview I've seen, I'm going to say WORLD WAR Z.

Fingers crossed they just threw the media the scraps and there is good stuff hidden away for now.

Comment

The Beaver.

Comment

Similar to this thread:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=59850

I said it then and will say it again: Season of the Witch was a great script and a deserved Nicholl-winner. Through terrible casting and direction, the film lost much of what was great on the page.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
            Similar to this thread:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=59850

I said it then and will say it again: Season of the Witch was a great script and a deserved Nicholl-winner. Through terrible casting and direction, the film lost much of what was great on the page.
            I did a search, really I did.

Comment

I thought Source Code dropped the ball, but I know they rewrote that script from the draft I read as well. Still, I have zero faith in Duncan Jones. I know others liked Moon, but I found it slow, wandering, and anticlimactic. But that's not all on him--there wasn't enough story to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                I thought Source Code dropped the ball, but I know they rewrote that script from the draft I read as well. Still, I have zero faith in Duncan Jones. I know others liked Moon, but I found it slow, wandering, and anticlimactic. But that's not all on him--there wasn't enough story to work with.
                Yeah...you're definitely in the minority on that one. "Moon" was amazing.

Comment

Gotta agree with Source Code. Wasn't "destroyed", still a solid movie, but it lost so much of what I loved about the script; the cold, sterile atmosphere, the claustrophobia. I did like some of Billy Ray's improvements, think it was more on Duncan than on the rewrite.

Comment

Moon is great. Atmospheric, visually beautiful, impeccably acted and solidly directed. Script was amazing too.

I really liked Remember Me, a spec by Will Fetters. Great writing and a surprising, sneaks-up-on-you ending. Then they cast Robert Pattinson and the film becomes a sappy piece of sh|t that did away with the small, nuanced hints that made the ending so great. But the script truly is a wonderful read.

Comment

I liked MOON because of Rockwell's performance. Nothing much more than that.
                      "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                      -Maya Angelou

Comment

DE JA VU. Loved the Rossio/Marsilli script. Rossio was so bummed at the finished project that he didn't want to talk about it. Easy to see why.
                        "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                        -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
                          DE JA VU. Loved the Rossio/Marsilli script. Rossio was so bummed at the finished project that he didn't want to talk about it. Easy to see why.
                          Agreed. Great material treated like more generic junk from the Tony Scott Crap Factory.

Comment

Originally posted by ddollar View Post
                            The Beaver.
                            I was going to say the same thing. Except it was casting and direction. I loved that script so much.

Also, Things We Lost in the Fire by Allan Loeb. Another spec I loved that didn't quite gel on screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                              Agreed. Great material treated like more generic junk from the Tony Scott Crap Factory.
                              Man on Fire, Enemy of the State, Days of Thunder, Top Gun, The Last Boy Scout, Spy Game, Domino, True Romance, etc...

Not quite a "crap factory."

Comment

Working...
                              X