Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redwine Management

Has anyone heard of "Taylor" from Redwine Management? He put up advertisements on Craigslist and Screenwriting Staffing Utopia looking for clients.

He seems nice and has a quick turnaround, so I'd like to recommend him to a few of my friends.

However, I haven't been able to find anything on the guy. As far as I can tell, he has an existing relationship with CAA.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Re: Redwine Management

Originally posted by TitanCreed View Post
    Has anyone heard of "Taylor" from Redwine Management? He put up advertisements on Craigslist and Screenwriting Staffing Utopia looking for clients.

He seems nice and has a quick turnaround, so I'd like to recommend him to a few of my friends.

However, I haven't been able to find anything on the guy. As far as I can tell, he has an existing relationship with CAA.
    Advertising on CL does not bode well at all for his credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by BurOak View Post
      Advertising on CL does not bode well at all for his credibility.
      Yeah, that was a red flag, but I think he's a rising figure interested in getting a solid base of writers quickly.

Fortunately, I managed to get some more info on him through a shared acquaintance. It sounds like he's a literary manager tied to an established, successful-but-reclusive figure.

In my dealings with him, he really has been great to work with. It was almost a "too good to be true" kind of deal.

Comment

"Recently joined Redwine Management's mp/tv literary department and looking to add 6-8 to clientele roster w/ scripts ready to shop"
        Silly question .. but outside of your friend and a rather dubious looking Craigslist ad .. have you ever heard of 'Redwine Management' or their 'mp/tv literary department' ? Has anyone?

And you might suspect that such a large company (with an entire department dedicated to mp/tv literary!) will be registered in California: http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

Or at least it might have a google footprint beyond craigslists posts!

Another option, of course, is that the entire company (and all their numerous departments) is closer to being just a guy in a coffee shop ...

But if that's the case, why isn't he honest about it and just say that .. instead of implying that he's part of a company with multiple departments?

And if he's not be upfront about that ... isn't it likely that his implications of being 'tied to an established, successful-but-reclusive figure' are on equally shaky ground?

-- Mac
        Last edited by Mac H.; 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM.
        New blogposts:
        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
          Silly question .. but have outside of your friend and a rather dubious looking Craigslist ad .. have you ever heard of 'Redwine Management' or their 'mp/tv literary department' ? Has anyone?

And you might suspect that such a large company (with an entire department dedicated to mp/tv literary!) will be registered in California: http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

Another option, of course, is that the entire company (and all their numerous departments) is closer to being just a guy in a coffee shop ...

-- Mac
          Those are some very good points. I'm sure we've all had a few coffee shop realizations.

That said, I found a second person (a shared business contact) who was tied to him. Sometimes you get these companies or people who have a low internet presence. You also can have these cases where people work for Company A, but list themselves under Company B for any number of purposes.

I once had a producer insist I create a company so he didn't have to list me as an employee. This was right before everyone quit because, well, we wanted to be employees and not contractors.

As for departments, I can say from experience that a department in Los Angeles can amount to one person on the payroll plus an intern or two. I once worked at a place where they "created" a department just as a favor so that a guy could say he was the head of it while looking for a new job.

Comment

What an odd thread.

You ask if anyone knows some moron "rep" advertising on Craig's list for writers. His name is only "Taylor" -- apparently he has no last name.

The good people at Done Deal Pro say hey -- heads up -- legitimate reps don't work in this manner. They don't advertise on Craig's List. They are part of management companies that have a footprint online, clients, and individual reps that are not, in fact, ghosts. They also have results and sales that are traceable. They go to work everyday in starched shirts with co-workers in a physical office building. People have HEARD of them.

You argue every post. You claim, no, this guy with no last name and no online footprint or sales or clients, or anything that might remotely point to a career, is apparently great. Because great people who can help your writing career advertise on Craigslist? Because this man with no last name claims he has a relationship with CAA?

If you want to get screwed over, go ahead. Why bother asking?

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
              What an odd thread.

You ask if anyone knows some moron "rep" advertising on Craig's list for writers. His name is only "Taylor" -- apparently he has no last name.

The good people at Done Deal Pro say hey -- heads up -- legitimate reps don't work in this manner. They don't advertise on Craig's List. They are part of management companies that have a footprint online, clients, and individual reps that are not, in fact, ghosts. They also have results and sales that are traceable. They go to work everyday in starched shirts with co-workers in a physical office building. People have HEARD of them.

You argue every post. You claim, no, this guy with no last name and no online footprint or sales or clients, or anything that might remotely point to a career, is apparently great. Because great people who can help your writing career advertise on Craigslist? Because this man with no last name claims he has a relationship with CAA?

If you want to get screwed over, go ahead. Why bother asking?
              Woah, hey, I'm sorry. My intention wasn't to argue. I was just giving my feedback based on my experiences. If I offended anyone, I apologize. I think you are overstating my support of him, though. Trust me, if I find out more about him, and it's negative, I'll share it.

To be clear, I appreciate the feedback from everyone so far.

EDIT: And, to be clear, I know he seems highly unorthodox and highly suspect. That's why I posted in the first place. I do stand by my assertion that you can have these weird cases with low-presence people. I don't recommend reaching out to him unless anyone can find out more on him. That's what I'm trying to do now.
              Last edited by TitanCreed; 09-09-2014, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanCreed View Post
                EDIT: And, to be clear, I know he seems highly unorthodox and highly suspect. That's why I posted in the first place. I do stand by my assertion that you can have these weird cases with low-presence people. I don't recommend reaching out to him unless anyone can find out more on him. That's what I'm trying to do now.
                Meh.

How, exactly, can a manager be that low-presence?

He needs to know people. He needs people to be able to find him easily. That's his whole business.

And, ultimately, look, let's say you're a young manager, and want clients:

IF he knows people, he can ask the people he knows for referral. The fact that he's trawling CL suggests that he doesn't know people, which makes him USELESS as a manager.

The other thing young managers do is trawl contest results. If you just go after Nicholl QFers, Page semifinalists, Austin finalists, etc .... you're going to find stuff that is much, much higher in quality than random CL trawling.

But, of course ... you'll also get writers who probably know a little bit more about what to look for in a manager.

Run away.

WHo is the reclusive literary figure who he supposedly works with, anyway?

Comment

Hopefully he doesn't have an "assistant" named "Jessica."

Comment

Several years ago, I ended up getting scammed by a 'literary management' company that claimed to have a lot of clients. In essence, it would have been comparable to the 'PublishAmerica' issue, just on a screenwriting front. I figured it out when I got emails from two men with the name Michael, but different last names. A quick Google search turned up the truth. That's why I vet every single management company now, especially by speaking to people on this site. In fact, nowadays, unless it's on this site's list of management companies, I avoid them.

Let me put this a bit more bluntly: I not only got scammed by those people, but also PublishAmerica when I was working on only books. I've learned my lessons about working with anyone who seems too good to be true. Believe me, if they advertise on Craiglist, they're probably intending to screw you over big time. Also, allusions to 'powerful figures/agencies' is a dead give away they're BS'ing you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan_Bentz View Post
                      Several years ago, I ended up getting scammed by a 'literary management' company that claimed to have a lot of clients. In essence, it would have been comparable to the 'PublishAmerica' issue, just on a screenwriting front. I figured it out when I got emails from two men with the name Michael, but different last names. A quick Google search turned up the truth. That's why I vet every single management company now, especially by speaking to people on this site. In fact, nowadays, unless it's on this site's list of management companies, I avoid them.

Let me put this a bit more bluntly: I not only got scammed by those people, but also PublishAmerica when I was working on only books. I've learned my lessons about working with anyone who seems too good to be true. Believe me, if they advertise on Craiglist, they're probably intending to screw you over big time. Also, allusions to 'powerful figures/agencies' is a dead give away they're BS'ing you.
                      And, in my experience, there are exponentially more scam operators than there are legitimate ones.

Comment

I don't know anything about Redwine Management. But I will say that not everyone on Craig's List is a crook. I sold two scripts on there to real companies. You just need to use common sense when it comes to dealing with people.

JD

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjason View Post
                          I don't know anything about Redwine Management. But I will say that not everyone on Craig's List is a crook. I sold two scripts on there to real companies. You just need to use common sense when it comes to dealing with people.

JD

Ever try to rent an apartment in LA off of CL?

Comment

No, I only use CL to meet "Independent models" in LA!

JD

Comment

I've sublet apartments multiple times off CL and had terrific experiences.

Like any classified ad for goods or services, you need to proceed cautiously, but stuff can work out.
                              Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Working...
                              X