Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godless

i believe Scott Frank originally wrote his feminist wester "Godless" as a feature, which Netflix then bought for a limited 7-episode series. somewhere in the middle episodes it did feel like the story was being stretched, but the characters are compelling enough to keep me watching until the (very very) bloody end.

fairly or not, "Deadwood" set the bar maybe impossibly high for western series to follow, but "Godless" certainly aims to reach that level. and fun to hear Jeff Lowell name checked in a passing reference early on.

Re: Godless

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    i believe Scott Frank originally wrote his feminist wester "Godless" as a feature, which Netflix then bought for a limited 7-episode series. somewhere in the middle episodes it did feel like the story was being stretched, but the characters are compelling enough to keep me watching until the (very very) bloody end.

fairly or not, "Deadwood" set the bar maybe impossibly high for western series to follow, but "Godless" certainly aims to reach that level. and fun to hear Jeff Lowell name checked in a passing reference early on.

So I finally finished. As always, JoeBanks' astute analysis is spot on. I kept thinking this would have been fantastic at 5 episodes, as the pace contributed to my slow pace to finish the series, but it was beautiful to watch and the characters were mostly compelling.

SPOILERS ahead....

But while I suppose the shoot out at the end was a trope that had to be followed, my husband and I both felt it was way over the top and frankly, boring. I liked that the two lead characters--Roy Goode and Dockery's character-- did not end up together, and I admit I was rather surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      Much better than the character named after me in Game Of Thrones.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Lowell

Comment

It took my a while to get to this series, but I loved it. Beautifully paced, written and acted, my only complaint is that it was too short!
        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I enjoyed it. Took a few episodes to get into it. It felt like a western with a feminine perspective which was different and appreciated.

Spoilers

For this reason the shootout at the end between the two male characters did not work for me. Wanted the focus and the resolution to stay with the woman.
          826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Working...
          X