How do you make a good impression on that first meeting?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you make a good impression on that first meeting?

If someone wants a hug, dude or female, I'll hug them. But I wait for them to give me the hug.

My handshake is weak, and I've been hurt by men with hard hand shakes as I go in soft and you get the joke...

I prefer the fist bump.

I honestly think the bow is the best way to go. It's germ free. Shaking hands is so weird. Can't we just nod?

Comment

i don't hug. i have personal space issues.

my suggestions were only that, suggestions. you have to do what comes natural to you. i've been in corporate meetings my entire adult life. they aren't all that formal unless they're top to top annual presentations. a lot are casual, you're just not wearing ripped up jeans, a wrinkled t-shirt, flip flops and slouching back in your seat. idk, maybe that's cool.

handshakes can be strange. some women have the weakest handshake kind of like you're supposed to raise their hand and kiss a ring, haha, seriously. as i said, i do the double ONLY (on a few occasions, someone else may hug) with another woman that i feel a strong connection with and to me, it's better than hugging someone, because well, you never know how that's going to go.

i mean, to me, it's a lot weirder for someone to hug me, especially a man i've never met before. i mean, i didn't even hug the men i worked with, every day for 12 years.

imo, it's important to convey a sense of confidence in oneself, and be attentive and grateful.

maybe my assumption was wrong, but i thought Friday was female. not that it matters, but women can sometimes be a little more familiar with each other than they will be with men.

i understand that industry meetings are a lot more casual.

"air kisses" happen a lot after you'v met people several times. much better than hugging in my view.

and honestly, fist bumps are a great idea.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

One of the weirdest meetings I had was when we meet in this super huge film screening room and my writing partner and I sat on a couch and the "Kid" we were pitching to who was younger and better looking than us, sat on a different couch which felt about 50 feet away and he laid down and I think closed his eyes.

So that was not very comfortable. I like a desk between between us. A nice table. To be somewhat close.

And everyone is different. One of my favorite meetings was at some Santa Monica hotel on these awesome chairs.

By the way don't hit on the other person like I think my writing partner did a few times. A lot of these men and woman are attractive and they are saying nice things to you -- but just like your therapist they are being paid to listen to you for the first time in your life -- so yeah keep that in mind. And also no one wants to date a writer. Writer/director -- maybe.

Also my favorite part of life and any meeting is the BS talk before the meeting begins. The little stuff. The worst part is the tell me about yourself. I hate it. I tend to make fun of myself. And keep it short. I just want to talk about pop culture and movie ideas.

I want you all to know how much I edited this post because it's 2019. In real life or hopefully by 2025 when comedy comes back into our lives, this post would have been a lot funnier.

Comment

Okay....that brings up a sub-topic. What do you shoot the breeze about in the beginning of the meeting, when you're just doing chit chat? I actually personally hate the "tell us about yourself." I've heard that you should have a great personal story you can say briefly. But, why would I really want to reveal that? I am a foodie, but I feel like these people would be more well-connected and already know about these things.

Comment

For the record, she hugged me, just so we're all on the same page here.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
              Not to bring up the handshake thing again, but a big fat NO on doing a double. It's ****ing weird, and a little pervy. I can't help but think of that scene in PRIMARY COLORS where we see the slow-mo close up of Travolta/Clinton doing that, and how he puts his hands on someone's arm or elbow. It's just bizarre and weird, and something I wouldn't do.

Though I did get a hug once after a general. That was nice and ENTIRELY in character with the exec I met with.

Also, these meetings are NOT like corporate meetings. Not even close. I've been in plenty of those as well, and it's just not the same. Corporate meetings are very formal, where it's considered good etiquette to robotically look from one person to the next to the next. They want you to be practiced and polished.

Generals or rep meetings are way more casual, so if you come off polished and practiced, it'll be considered weird. You want to be on your best behavior, of course. But you're about to work with people where you're going to have in-depth conversations about murder, sex, love, relationships, violence, and all manner of f*cked up things that go into movies and TV. There's a level of intimacy in this business, in terms of how you relate to people, that just doesn't exist in the corporate world. You have to be willing to go there and talk about things that would normally not sit well with the VP of marketing at Innertec. You don't do that right away (though in TV you might in a staffing meeting because writer rooms do get crazy personal), but it's something you will work toward.

All this is to say that these kinds of meetings are more akin to dating. You want the other person to want you, because ultimately you're trying to get the other person into bed.

Yeah, be yourself. But also make them want you and remember you (in a good way). Whether generals or otherwise, they're meeting lots of people and it's real easy to forget what's his/her name they met with at 11am.
              Agreed.
              Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                If someone wants a hug, dude or female, I'll hug them. But I wait for them to give me the hug.

My handshake is weak, and I've been hurt by men with hard hand shakes as I go in soft and you get the joke...

I prefer the fist bump.

I honestly think the bow is the best way to go. It's germ free. Shaking hands is so weird. Can't we just nod?
                Yup the handshake is outdated as a gesture of faith.

We all know it originated to check for weapons under their sleeve and used to be around the forearm, yes? Swear I didn't just google, it's surely been in spoof movies (Or is that a myth? That's how I heard it originated)

When I say hug, (with dudes) I'm talking the bro hug where you throw up one hand, clasp hands informally, then throw the other arm around the shoulder type'a thing. Not a full on romantical hug. LIKE THIS --> https://tenor.com/view/beauty-and-th...th-gif-9729876

But only if I know you pretty well.

With women, I used to hug one of my agents. The one armed casual hug. She started it.

But, this all goes back to correctly reading the room. It's kinda easy to tell who is and who is not a hugger. Or even if people are not hand shakers. I've meet with people who seemed germaphobic (Hand sanitizer prominent on desk? GOT IT!). I don't offer a hand shake in that scenario. And they usually don't either. Just a kind of brief nod.

Actually, thinking it through, I'd bet in most scenarios you don't shake hands in the industry. Maybe? Hard to recall if they just bring you back or shake your hand when they come to get you. It's such an irrelevant part of it all that it doesn't register with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                  One of the weirdest meetings I had was when we meet in this super huge film screening room and my writing partner and I sat on a couch and the "Kid" we were pitching to who was younger and better looking than us, sat on a different couch which felt about 50 feet away and he laid down and I think closed his eyes.

So that was not very comfortable. I like a desk between between us. A nice table. To be somewhat close.

And everyone is different. One of my favorite meetings was at some Santa Monica hotel on these awesome chairs.

By the way don't hit on the other person like I think my writing partner did a few times. A lot of these men and woman are attractive and they are saying nice things to you -- but just like your therapist they are being paid to listen to you for the first time in your life -- so yeah keep that in mind. And also no one wants to date a writer. Writer/director -- maybe.

Also my favorite part of life and any meeting is the BS talk before the meeting begins. The little stuff. The worst part is the tell me about yourself. I hate it. I tend to make fun of myself. And keep it short. I just want to talk about pop culture and movie ideas.

I want you all to know how much I edited this post because it's 2019. In real life or hopefully by 2025 when comedy comes back into our lives, this post would have been a lot funnier.
                  Ha! Now I want the unedited version. DAMN YOU!

Comment

I had my fourth meeting of the day at like 1:00 in the afternoon in BH. Was meeting a producer outside the Starbucks on Olympic. My first two meetings I took coffee and my mouth was gross. So I popped the trunk on my rental and got my toothbrush out. (I was headed to LAX after) And I'm standing there brushing my teeth standing under the hood. The producer - I know what he looks like - he doesn't know me - comes walking past and we make eye contact. He gives me a disgusted look for this display of vagrancy. I'm like oh sh1t. So I roll up to the Starbucks three minutes later and he's standing there and he gives me this look, like the once over. He sniffs and says "well you don't dress like a writer- which I took as the highest of compliments. At the end of the meeting it had gone well and I was like "did you see me brushing my teeth?- And he's like "Jesus Christ that was you?-

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                      Okay....that brings up a sub-topic. What do you shoot the breeze about in the beginning of the meeting, when you're just doing chit chat? I actually personally hate the "tell us about yourself." I've heard that you should have a great personal story you can say briefly. But, why would I really want to reveal that? I am a foodie, but I feel like these people would be more well-connected and already know about these things.
                      It could be almost anything...

"How was your weekend, do anything fun?"

"Got any trips planned for the summer?"

"I noticed that photo on your wall, super cool, what's the story behind that?"

"I listened to the interview you did on that podcast, really enjoyed what you had to say."

"I noticed your sunglasses, those are dope, who makes 'em?"

"Great view from your office, ahhh I can see ___ from here, ever been?"

It could be almost anything.

You could say "I'm a bit of a foodie." Personally, I'd latch onto that. "Oh, cool, me too... what are some of your favorite restaurants? You watch any of the foodie shows?" BOOM! 10 minutes of your meeting talking about food. They love that. Breaks up their day, and now you're building rapport.

When I get the statement (because it's not actually a fukkin question) "So, tell us about yourself..." I say "In what regard, writing, where I grew up, what my favorite color is, dog or cat guy?" I seriously say **** like that with a smile. Hopefully they laugh. If they don't, I've just learned what kind of room this is.

And... this is probably cheesy, but I don't care: When I'm asked "Would you like anything to drink?" I say "Sure, I'll take a beer, or tequila if you've got it." One time the dude was like "Serious? I have a bottle of whiskey." Cool, I'll take it neat. I'll assume the meeting went well.

Meetings I fukkin hate (but others might love). LOT MEETINGS. Fukkin HATE 'em. I don't find it exciting to be on the lot. Ever been to Amblin? It's a b!tch to get to. "Wait, am I going the right way? Sh!t, am I supposed to be driving right here?" Security "No! It's THAT way!" Okay, I think this is it, fukk, can I park here? Etc. Hate it.

Favorite meeting place: Soho House. It's chill, relaxed. I'd way rather meet for coffee or drinks the first time in a casual setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                        I had my fourth meeting of the day at like 1:00 in the afternoon in BH. Was meeting a producer outside the Starbucks on Olympic. My first two meetings I took coffee and my mouth was gross. So I popped the trunk on my rental and got my toothbrush out. (I was headed to LAX after) And I’m standing there brushing my teeth standing under the hood. The producer - I know what he looks like - he doesn’t know me - comes walking past and we make eye contact. He gives me a disgusted look for this display of vagrancy. I’m like oh sh1t. So I roll up to the Starbucks three minutes later and he’s standing there and he gives me this look, like the once over. He sniffs and says “well you don’t dress like a writer” which I took as the highest of compliments. At the end of the meeting it had gone well and I was like “did you see me brushing my teeth?” And he’s like “Jesus Christ that was you?”
                        Haha, wow.

Comment

I had my fourth meeting of the day at like 1:00 in the afternoon in BH. Was meeting a producer outside the Starbucks on Olympic. My first two meetings I took coffee and my mouth was gross. So I popped the trunk on my rental and got my toothbrush out. (I was headed to LAX after) And I’m standing there brushing my teeth standing under the hood. The producer - I know what he looks like - he doesn’t know me - comes walking past and we make eye contact. He gives me a disgusted look for this display of vagrancy. I’m like oh sh1t. So I roll up to the Starbucks three minutes later and he’s standing there and he gives me this look, like the once over. He sniffs and says “well you don’t dress like a writer” which I took as the highest of compliments. At the end of the meeting it had gone well and I was like “did you see me brushing my teeth?” And he’s like “Jesus Christ that was you?”
                          Hilarious! This reminds me of a fukkin hilarious story (TO ME). I'll tell it in a sec. But first. Two things...

1) Now I gotta know how you were dressed. Do tell.

2) This is exactly the type'a sh!t I'm talking about that this town likes to pretend doesn't happen. Yet, that's a scene straight out of a comedy. I pictured you spitting out toothpaste, splatters on your shoes (SH!T), slam the trunk, then look up to see the producer with toothpaste foam covered lips looking like a rabid animal "Ohhh... uhhh... Hi!" LOL
                          Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 08-21-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Okay, here's a bad one... (and you're probably gonna figure out the punchline before the end).

I'm in Hollywood at a fancy event randomly seated at a group table next to an older veteran producer I'd never met. I chat with him and his wife while we eat dinner. Small talk, etc. Hours of this over food and drinks. Everyone at this event is upper level, A-list agents etc., that kind of crowd (and dumbass me).

Following day: My car was in the shop, but I needed to pick up something in the Valley (I forget what). I grab a piece of sh!t rental for the day. Head to the valley. I'm way out there in no man's land. I'm making left into a parking lot. I look down at my phone "Fukk is this place at again?" Dude behind me in his Mercedes honks, swerves around me, flips me off as he yells something out the window.

I see him park and walk into Starbucks. I park. Head inside Starbucks. Fuming, I march up to him. His back to me I say "Don't ever flip me off and yell sh!t at me fukkin azzhole!"

He turns around. CORRECT GUESS! It's the same fukkin producer I spent hours getting to know from last night.

"Ohhhhh.... sh!!!!!!!T What are the fukkin odds of this???"

He cocks his head like... isssssss that... the guy from last night...?

I was dressed super different. Ultra casual. Boardshorts. Black wife-beater. Shades on.

FUKK! I immediately turn around and SPLIT before he can say anything.

As I walk out the door, under my breath...

"Okay, noted, I'll never work with THAT producer... like, EVER!"

LOL

Comment

I had my fourth meeting of the day at like 1:00 in the afternoon in BH. Was meeting a producer outside the Starbucks on Olympic. My first two meetings I took coffee and my mouth was gross. So I popped the trunk on my rental and got my toothbrush out. (I was headed to LAX after) And I'm standing there brushing my teeth standing under the hood. The producer - I know what he looks like - he doesn't know me - comes walking past and we make eye contact. He gives me a disgusted look for this display of vagrancy. I'm like oh sh1t. So I roll up to the Starbucks three minutes later and he's standing there and he gives me this look, like the once over. He sniffs and says "well you don't dress like a writer- which I took as the highest of compliments. At the end of the meeting it had gone well and I was like "did you see me brushing my teeth?- And he's like "Jesus Christ that was you?-
                              great story. love it. lol
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                                Hilarious! This reminds me of a fukkin hilarious story (TO ME). I'll tell it in a sec. But first. Two things...

1) Now I gotta know how you were dressed. Do tell.

2) This is exactly the type'a sh!t I'm talking about that this town likes to pretend doesn't happen. Yet, that's a scene straight out of a comedy. I pictured you spitting out toothpaste, splatters on your shoes (SH!T), slam the trunk, then look up to see the producer with toothpaste foam covered lips looking like a rabid animal "Ohhh... uhhh... Hi!" LOL
                                Oh yeah I was in the process of leaning back and spitting when we made eye contact. It was really Ben Stiller circa 2001.

I think I had on skinny dark grey Diesels, solid navy Untickit, and these bad boys:
                                https://www.zappos.com/product/89901...c-8a3bb5e2ad45

Which felt like a very writer outfit but he’d know better than I would I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X