Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outline for manager

Apologizing in advance for the question, but....

Manager wants me to write a one to two page outline. Is there a standard format for this or do I wing it?

Re: Outline for manager

Nope. No real format. In fact, I'd give him a short treatment instead (you can get a little more emotion and texture in that way...)

If it was me, I'd title each section (Act 1, etc) and write it in paragraph form.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by medavidson View Post
      Nope. No real format. In fact, I'd give him a short treatment instead (you can get a little more emotion and texture in that way...)

If it was me, I'd title each section (Act 1, etc) and write it in paragraph form.

Good luck.
      Yes, just tell the story, but it is good to include the act breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by brubenow View Post
        Apologizing in advance for the question...
        Why do people apologize for asking questions? Is it sinful to ask questions or something?

People need to stop doing that.

Ask anything you want guilt-free.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post
          Why do people apologize for asking questions? Is it sinful to ask questions or something?

Didn't know if the question had already been asked a thousand times before. So do I include spoilers or just hint at what will happen?

Comment

Well I don't really know the answer to the question. There's others here who know far more than me, but if someone is asking you for an outline, they want the entire thing, including how it ends.

You have to outline the entire story.

I guess the difficulty is knowing how detailed the outline should be, as there is no standard length. It could be a page, 10 pages, 30 pages, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post

Plus, I've been "scolded" in the past. So thanks for not doing that.

Comment

Best advice is to ask your manager for an example of a good outline. He should have no problem with that.

Comment

Plus, I've been "scolded" in the past. So thanks for not doing that.
                  Trust me, just because you're asking questions or asking for advice, it doesn't give anybody... ANYBODY... the right to scold you. No matter how big their ego is.

Ask all the questions you want. I do.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Didn't know if the question had already been asked a thousand times before. So do I include spoilers or just hint at what will happen?
                      Yup, tell them everything that happens.

Comment

I tried to write a one page outline once, it turned into a forty page handwritten, twenty page typed treatment.

and before that I tried to write a 2 page outline and it turned into a thirteen typed treatment.
                        It'd be hard for me to submit something that small to a manager. I go Full Measure.

Comment

Working...
                        X