Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can screenwriting be learned?

Re posts where various folks here have said it's a combination of nature/nurture, this reminds me of that often used tag, genius. If you read about genius, and it's a broad category these days, it sounds like something one just 'has'. Einstein = Genius. But I suspect that his genius (or her genius) is more apt to describe this state of affairs, as a way of summing up what this strange and elusive quality is, or might be, as something more than nomenclature.

His genius, implies. to me, that the said writer, or composer, ball player, acrobat, etc has found a way through, a unique approach, technique within technique, by learning to bat two pieces of creative metal together and create a helluva spark, and use that to generate fire. I don't believe they could ever explain it to another artist, it's just known to the 'self'.

This must go further than technique then, or simply innate appitude, it's a self - directed process which has something to do with finding a way through, developing, finding a means to connect with that artistic thread we all have inside, and has something to do with how we apply/hone it, no doubt through lots of hard work, learning, trial and error, being prepared to risk or try new routes. Many will not manage to develop it, at least passed a certain point, and it's probably not even worth attempting to ask why that is, too complex. But the Rossio article appears to deal with some of these issues.

So I say, we must know how to bang our balls together ( ), or collide a few atoms if you prefer, and find a way through to those higher plateaus.

If you make it all the way, perhaps you'll end up in the sunshine, on some rugged outcrop, where you'll see Verdi, Shakespeare and Goethe, chatting away on a rock, each being fed grapes by the muses. Or perhaps this just means it's time to leave the alcohol alone for a while.

Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

to say that people are born equal is like saying there is only one shade of red. people are born with 'skill'. people are born with varying levels of proficiency at things. i have a twin brother, he was able to do things like draw at such a young age it was staggering... i mean really draw stuff. his six year old daughter has the same 'innate' ability.

i can't draw to save my life. however, i have a perfectly symetrical face, his nose is crooked.... bawhaahaaa... I WIN.

BOING
      You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

the logic here espoused by screenquery is so faucked up it's aggrevating.

how many screenplays are written a year by people who are kind of intelligent and would pass as someone who 'might' be able to sell a screenplay compared to the actually number of people who SELL a screenplay?

figuring out that equation will tell you that it's VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to take someone off the streets and have them write a screenplay that will sell BECAUSE it's the random person off the street who is writing the screenplay because every joker in the world, including you screenquery, thinks that you can take a person off the street and teach them how to write a selling screenplay.

nonsense

Comment

Okay, guys, keep it civil ... or this already overly long thread is headed for lockdown.

Hasn't everyone already had his/her say in this issue?

Let's move on.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by THEUGLYDUCKLING View Post

figuring out that equation will tell you that it's VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to take someone off the streets and have them write a screenplay that will sell BECAUSE it's the random person off the street who is writing the screenplay because every joker in the world, including you screenquery, thinks that you can take a person off the street and teach them how to write a selling screenplay.

nonsense
            I think a better question would be: could you take anyone off the streets who passionately wants to be a screenwriter and teach them how to write a selling screenplay?
            Last edited by Kwinnky; 06-05-2009, 07:07 AM. Reason: That better question needed a question mark.
            what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

well, that's right. Pluck a person off the streeet who is passionate about anything, and don't worry, they're already busy finding a way to learn it.

Comment

think about how hard it is to sell a screenplay even for the really smart people. most of the time when you talk to someone who wrote a screenplay that sold, or a novel and is making a career in the business, that person is almost always smart in some capacity. i'm sure almost to the letter.

every writer i've ever been around that was good, was smart, was introspective, was observant, is at times aloof and mostly engaging. writers, the good ones, are people with the ability to complicate the 'human condition'... a simply addition to sc's point.

the ability to spin a yarn and use words that convey your point of view to the masses is a gargantuan task.

Comment

But none of them start off like that. Writing makes you that way.

It's because they're writing every day.

Really, writing a lot just does that to you.

Look at soccer players. Good ones. They can literally be a genius on the field, and sound like braindead slugs in front of a camera.

It all comes down to what you spend a lot of time doing.

Comment

Found someone yesterday. A 19 year old business student at UCLA. We're going to begin the process after classes Monday in my office and the Screenwriter X Project commences.
                    ScreenQuery.com | $5.50 Query Blast Service
                    ScreenQuery Monthly Genre Contests - Coming Soon!

Comment

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
                      But none of them start off like that. Writing makes you that way.
                      On the contrary, smart writers are smart people before they ever begin to write. And as was noted, nearly all good or great writers are smart.

It's because they're writing every day.

Really, writing a lot just does that to you.
                      Well, it doesn't hurt, but if you begin with an IQ of 88 you can write every day for ten years and your IQ won't change much. It certainly won't soar to 122.

Look at soccer players. Good ones. They can literally be a genius on the field, and sound like braindead slugs in front of a camera.

It all comes down to what you spend a lot of time doing.
                      Which is determined by your interests, your dreams, your desires, your wants and needs, and your opportunities. Writing in any form is generally not an attractive pasttime to the less than bright. Hence, most folks who pursue writing as a profession are smart to begin with.

And if screenwriting cannot be learned, what are we all doing here?
                      Last edited by FADE IN; 06-05-2009, 10:53 PM. Reason: fix typos

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenQuery View Post
                        Found someone yesterday. A 19 year old business student at UCLA. We're going to begin the process after classes Monday in my office and the Screenwriter X Project commences.

You'll probably make a million bucks. Good luck. there'll be tears if you do.
                        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
                          You'll probably make a million bucks. Good luck. there'll be tears if you do.

We'll see. We are going to try to lay the foundation before late June when his Summer coursework really begins. Loves movies, which should be a good thing.
                          ScreenQuery.com | $5.50 Query Blast Service
                          ScreenQuery Monthly Genre Contests - Coming Soon!

Comment

okay, let me understand this... you screeny, got a random student to give up three plus months of his life with a total stranger to write a screenplay? He's never written one before? We need more details. Does he wear pk flyers?

dish

Comment

going back, reading old threads. Fun stuff. Two questions here.

How did the make a writer out of a nonwriter experiment go?

And

Originally posted by FADE IN View Post
                              It's the same with the words "script" and "screenplay," which are two different things yet we tend to use the words interchangeably, a form of dumbing down. Not a good sign in a community that's supposed to be literate.

Hand me that script.

Read my screenplay.
                              I give. Whats the difference?

Comment

A script can be a teleplay, a radio play, a play, a short screenplay or a screenplay.

Webster's definition: 1 a : something written : text b : an original or principal instrument or document c (1) : manuscript 1 (2) : the written text of a stage play, screenplay, or broadcast; specifically : the one used in production or performance
                                Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
                                Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

Working...
                                X