Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Economy is Good For Hollywood

I understand what people are sayin' vis-a-vis the studios and all like that but...

Eventually the guys with the theaters and the people who feed them are going to ask, "Hey! Got any films?" And when the usual suspects start going on about how the mother ship this and the mother ship that and we don't have no movies...

Well I just think this will not last too long. There's a ton of money on the sidelines right now making minus 2% and when films start showing their profitablity they'll get back in the game.

Say you're like me. And you happen to be friendly (used to) with the head accountant on 5 or so of the most expensive films ever made. You learn a bit about how goofy the numbers they run up the flagpole really are.

Half the crap you see (believe it or not) is paid for before they spin a reel in the theater and we see it. I personally know of one piece-o-junk the studio and producers spent 125+m (real #) but said they did at 85 and it was paid for before it screened, before DVD (big seller) before library and on and on.

I just don't see it being as gloomy as some (I know its not great). The money's still there it's just cost underwriting a bunch of other stuff and will need to keep underwriting it in the future. Films are looking like a lot better investment than the market and real estate (at least historically) right now.

Bot
    Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

I'm in advertising and echo what NYNEX said. Advertising is way, way down in all mediums (including internet). Newspapers are dying fast (they were going down anyway, but the bad economy will speed things up tremendously). Yes, people are still seeing movies (apparently more than ever), but the companies/studios will still lose money because of weak advertising in other mediums they are connected to.

Comment

Well, big conglomerate studios will simply shave off divisions that are money losers (if they don't use them as write offs) and emphasize the ones that are cash cows. Smaller companies won't be able to do that.

Maybe a resurgence in smaller films as indie studios push their way into theaters again? That would rule.
        What I have crossed out, I didn't like. What I haven't crossed out, I am dissatisfied with.
        (Cecil B. DeMille's notes to an unknown screenwriter)

Comment

Working...
        X