Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst film by a gifted filmmaker...

War of the Worlds over AI or Hook? Dune over Lost Highway? And I thought Superman Returns was a decent film, a little heavy handed on the Jesus vibe, but enjoyable.

Comment

I picked Always for Spielberg's stinker, but he's had a few. It's not like War of the Worlds was his bid for a commercial breakthrough.

Frankly, many people who love David Lynch think Lost Highway is challenging, but hardly a klunker. I'll stand by Dune, it was a failure.

Superman Returns was a case of too many cooks, but its failure to live up to expectations lands at Singer's feet. It's not as though he was wandering in the indie wilderness beforehand, either.

Comment

I'm not familiar with many of Terry Gilliam's films.
        I have seen and LOVED the documentary on the attempted making of
        his Don Quixote story. I thought that film should be required viewing for anyone interested in film making and I could never get Johnny Depp's
        tattoos out of my mind after that.

Anyhow, it was mentioned in the documentary I believe, that of his films,
        only The adventures of baron von munchhausen was a critical and
        box office flop.

Although he has made another movie since that documentary?
        myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

Originally posted by J off course View Post
          I'm not familiar with many of Terry Gilliam's films. ... Although he has made another movie since that documentary?
          Yeah, Brothers Grimm and Tideland.

Comment

Originally posted by J off course View Post
            I'm not familiar with many of Terry Gilliam's films.
            I have seen and LOVED the documentary on the attempted making of
            his Don Quixote story. I thought that film should be required viewing for anyone interested in film making and I could never get Johnny Depp's
            tattoos out of my mind after that.

Anyhow, it was mentioned in the documentary I believe, that of his films,
            only The adventures of baron von munchhausen was a critical and
            box office flop.

Although he has made another movie since that documentary?
            Yeah, that documentary is great - and that movie very possibly could have kicked ass. Jean Rocheforte is awesome too, a great pick for Quixote.

He made Brothers Grimm since then, another Gilliam disappointment. I still love some of his stuff though, he's very uncompromising with his acid visions.

Comment

Adventures of Baron Munchhausen may be his biggest flop but its also his least accessable film.
              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBitHack View Post
                THE BLACK DAHLIA by Brian DePalma
                That's unfair considering DePalma hasn't been talented in the past 15 years. If he was and still is, he's doing a tremendous job of keeping it a secret.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
                  I picked Always for Spielberg's stinker, but he's had a few. It's not like War of the Worlds was his bid for a commercial breakthrough.

Frankly, many people who love David Lynch think Lost Highway is challenging, but hardly a klunker. I'll stand by Dune, it was a failure.

Superman Returns was a case of too many cooks, but its failure to live up to expectations lands at Singer's feet. It's not as though he was wandering in the indie wilderness beforehand, either.
                  At the top of page 2 War of the Worlds is listed.

I think Lynch did a great job with Dune, it's one of my favorite movies. And I like most Lynch movies but I could not sit through Lost Highway.

Most of the movies listed are not bad movies. But yeah, i'll give you always... it sucked.

Comment

Anyone who goes into Lost Highway expecting any kind of narrative that can be followed coherantly ends up very frustrated. Its one of those films where you have to completely ignore what it makes you think and concentrate solely on what it makes you feel.
                    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I liked Lost Highway.

David Jacobson showed a ton of talent and potential with DAHMER then completely crapped in the bed with his follow-up DOWN IN THE VALLEY.
                      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Anyone seen Man of the Year yet? Could rank up there with Toys for Levinson's mawkish, dimwitted worst. Notice a pattern here?

Comment

Anyone seen Man of the Year yet? Could rank up there with Toys for Levinson's mawkish, dimwitted worst. Notice a pattern here?
                          has levinson actually made a good movie yet?
                          all downhill after diner
                          If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Originally posted by cluckyburger View Post
                            has levinson actually made a good movie yet?
                            all downhill after diner
                            Sure. Avalon, Liberty Heights, even Wag the Dog for good political satire (hey, it was fresh before it turned out to be prescient). And Tin Men was brilliant. And created Homicide, which led to The Wire. Not just Diner.

Comment

Sure. Avalon, Liberty Heights, even Wag the Dog for good political satire (hey, it was fresh before it turned out to be prescient). And Tin Men was brilliant. And created Homicide, which led to The Wire. Not just Diner.
                              Tin Men is great.

Comment

Is Woody Allen 'gifted' I dunno. Some treat him like he is: after reading praise for it, I was greatly disappointed by MATCH POINT. It seemed pointless and devoid of passion imo.

One's expectations probably colour things unfairly though, making a given disappointment from a gifted filmmaker seem worse than the same film from a less-praised talent.

Despite it's many shortcomings, WAR OF THE WORLDS is a pretty interesting and gripping film: it's just that from Spielberg I go expecting the possibility of feeling real cinematic awe ... and that magnifies its problems in ways that might escape notice coming from another source.
                                sigpic
                                "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                                that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                                -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Working...
                                X