Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Good German

And I was hoping you'd cling to Kerry's latest remark because that wasn't actually the one I was referring to. I was talking about what he said about our troops "terrorizing" women and children in the dead of night. And I was referring to John Murtha's assertion that our soldiers kill Iraqi's in cold blood.
    What exactly did each of these men say, and in what context? Can you provide that? Do you even know?

If I recall correctly, Murtha was referring to U.S. soldiers who were prosecuted for murder. He was not referring to U.S. soldiers in general.

But of course you (and your chickenhawk heroes who went out of their ways to avoid serving in combat) will twist his words and claim he's a terrorist sympathizer who doesn't want us to win. Never mind the fact that he's a decorated war veteran who has spilled his own blood in service of this country. That doesn't keep you and your heroes from trashing him and calling him a coward now that he's refused to step in line and shut up about the current war.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
    It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
    -- Potter Stewart

Comment

You see nothing valuable behind what our troops are trying to accomplish over there?

Comment

Originally posted by haunted View Post
        What exactly did each of these men say, and in what context? Can you provide that? Do you even know?

If I recall correctly, Murtha was referring to U.S. soldiers who were prosecuted for murder. He was not referring to U.S. soldiers in general.

But of course you (and your chickenhawk heroes who went out of their ways to avoid serving in combat) will twist his words and claim he's a terrorist sympathizer who doesn't want us to win. Never mind the fact that he's a decorated war veteran who has spilled his own blood in service of this country. That doesn't keep you and your heroes from trashing him and calling him a coward now that he's refused to step in line and shut up about the current war.
        Hey, dumbass, did you read the part where I said I was about to enlist?

Comment

That's Bush's fault. He should make sure he has the full support of the country before he goes to war, not try to sell Iraq when Afghanistan is where the U.S. should be.
          Yep. But it's clear he's somehow managed to get some people (like Jimny) to buy into his tactic of blaming the U.S. public for his failures in Iraq.

I can't believe anyone alive wouldn't see through that, but apparently it's working on some scale, at least.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by haunted View Post
            Yep. But it's clear he's somehow managed to get some people (like Jimny) to buy into his tactic of blaming the U.S. public for his failures in Iraq.

I can't believe anyone alive wouldn't see through that, but apparently it's working on some scale, at least.
            I blame the damned terrorists! Amazing that you can't bring yourself to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny Wayne View Post
              I blame the damned terrorists! Amazing that you can't bring yourself to.
              Which terrorists? The Saudis responsible for 9/11? The Afghans who sheltered al-Qaida? The al-Qaida leadership hiding in Pakistan? The North Korean and Iranian governments who really DO have or area aquiring weapons of mass destruction? All solid reasons to be in ... Iraq?

Comment

Hey, dumbass, did you read the part where I said I was about to enlist?
                Why doesn't it surprise me that you'd resort to name calling?

Guess what: Your plans to enlist are honorable, at least in the sense that you're willing to put yourself in harm's way in support of your misconceptions about this war.

I hope you don't get sent into combat. If you do, I hope you get all the equipment you need and don't have to armor yourself with excuses from Washington. And I hope you're not hurt or killed.

But no military career you could possibly have will ever make it okay for you to twist the earnest words of a decorated combat veteran and claim they prove he's a coward or doesn't support his fellow soldiers. That is low, dirty, and disloyal, and I suspect you'll come to agree after you've spent some time in service.

There's a reason you generally only see that kind of smear coming from non-vets.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Nope, afraid you're full of ****. My dad and his men consider Kerry and Murtha to be complete morons. They have no respect for them whatsoever and neither do I.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. It boggles my mind that you'd want to volunteer for military service when you can so readily trash men who have served honorably before you -- and have the scars and medals to prove it -- just because they happen to be critical of a war authored and executed by people who never served in combat.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

You're aware that John Kerry's medals come from self inflicted wounds and he threw the medals over the White house gate right?

Comment

You're aware that John Kerry's medals come from self inflicted wounds and he threw the medals over the White house gate right?
                        I'm aware that you don't know what you're talking about -- as if that wasn't sufficiently clear already -- because at least two thirds of what you just said is complete crap that I've seen repeated 100 times by extreme right-wingers who don't know the facts any better than you.

You really need to be more careful about where you get your "facts," Jimny, and how closely you examine them. This is a textbook example of how a load of b.s. can be repeated on the internet enough times that gullible people who want to believe it finally come to accept it as gospel. The tragedy is that, somewhere way back along the line, it probably originated with someone who knew he was telling a lie and didn't care, because it served his purposes and he knew the right people would accept it without question.

I know you'll never, ever bother watching a movie that might challenge what you've been told to believe about John Kerry, his military service, and what he did afterward and why -- but I'd like to recommend you rent the documentary "Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry" and view it with that open mind you claim to have.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Facts are funny things. Wayne doesn't have 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny Wayne View Post
                            Take Iraq for instance. I can virtually guarantee that 9/10 films made about this war will portray the soldiers in a negative light. It's shameful. The reason why is because of filmmakers (and societies) inability to distinguish bewteen good and evil. In light of this, there's this attitude that there are no good guys and there's no bad guys, just the murky gray zone.
                            I would say that it is the filmmaker's obligation to explore the gray zone...presenting anything of this nature in terms of pure black and white is propaganda, no matter which direction you're coming from.

There is no black and white, and the only absolute is that there are no absolutes. In retrospect, we view The Good War as a study in absolutes, that the Germans were absolute evil and the Allies were absolute good. The problem is, on the German side there were organizations such as the WHITE ROSE, an anti-facist group whose members stood up and were ultimately executed for speaking against the impending calculations of the Third Reich. And incidently, the men of the organization were veterans.

And no matter what the John Wayne movies presented as the purity of our men in uniform, it is documented that there were incidences of American troops in war zones that committed atrocities on both enemy soldiers and civilians that would match up against those in Vietnam. The human animal in times of war happens.

Again, there is no black and white, and John Wayne never really stared down the barrel of a gun of a man who believed that it was his own country and ideology that was in the right, a soldier in a different uniform who was ready to pull the trigger and end a man's life in that belief.

I am not comparing what is going on with the current conflict to the Third Reich. Two different beasts. But I will draw a parallel to what happens when the civilians of a country place absolute faith in their leadership.

That's why the framers of the Constitution placed such an emphasis on Freedom of the Press.
                            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

And it's why the current administration is so intent on eroding that freedom and many others of the freedoms outlined in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Oh geez, what freedoms have you lost? Talk about delusional.

Comment

Working...
                                X