What is the total cost these days to pay an attorney to look at a screenplay option?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the total cost these days to pay an attorney to look at a screenplay option?

Hi, as a new writer, I'm looking for an attorney as I possibly have an offer of a film option coming up in the future, and I was wondering how much would be the total cost of getting a good attorney to look at a screenplay option contract? Any recommendations out there that anyone has? I was hoping they would take 5%, but from the ones I have contacted, the option needs to be around the mid five figure range (not the purchase price) for them to do that. Also, is a high retainer fee a common thing, where the attorney asks for money up front and then deducts that from their hourly rate, and gives you back what is left at the end? And for any attorney you want to represent you, do you have to sign an engagement letter with them?
    Regards for any contributions.

Re: What is the total cost?

Originally posted by Filmwriter View Post
    Hi, as a new writer, I'm looking for an attorney as I possibly have an offer of a film option coming up in the future, and I was wondering how much would be the total cost of getting a good attorney to look at a screenplay option contract? Any recommendations out there that anyone has? I was hoping they would take 5%, but from the ones I have contacted, the option needs to be around the mid five figure range (not the purchase price) for them to do that. Also, is a high retainer fee a common thing, where the attorney asks for money up front and then deducts that from their hourly rate, and gives you back what is left at the end? And for any attorney you want to represent you, do you have to sign an engagement letter with them?
    Regards for any contributions.
    Some charge by the hour. Mine charges 10 percent.

Comment

Working...
    X