What are the biggest STEREOTYPES in action movies?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the biggest STEREOTYPES in action movies?

in your opinion, what are some of the biggest stereotypes in action movies whether they be from the 80's or currently?
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: what are the biggest STEREOTYPES in action movies?

Poor writing.

Comment

Steven Seagal
      Originally posted by Great White Mark
      Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Bad guys who can't hit the side of a barn with a machine gun.

Comment

Gee, I didn't know I was so good at writing action movies.
          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post
            Bad guys who can't hit the side of a barn with a machine gun.

lmao!!!
            One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Action movies are all about stereotypes. That's what makes writing them so much fun.
              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

-- When the bad guy finally gets a clear shot at the defenseless hero, pulls the trigger with a smirk and the chamber's empty. He then invariably frowns at the gun and tries a couple times more.

-- The bad guys can fire hundreds of bullets at the fleeing hero and miss every time but when the hero fires every shot hits a target.

-- The hero always manages to stop the ticking clock exactly one second before the bomb goes off.

And still I love action movies!

Comment

car chase going down wrong way of a one-way street

bad guy telling his evil plan/secret to the hero at end of movie since he's going to kill him anyway
                  "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

A few come to mind...These are more of cliches than stereotypes, though the two go hand in hand, there's subtle differences. Here they are with the bonus of how I think they could be "freshened up".

- Walking away from an explosion without looking - Next time, I'd like to see the actor look back, gasp, curse to himself, and run hysterically.

- Hero aiming his gun, saying something catchy, firing - It would be kinda cool to see the hero aim, say something cheesy like, "I'll see you in hell", fire, and miss.

- High speed chases - just once I'd like to see a low speed chase, like...two guys in wheelchairs, or on crutches.

- Slow motion - I don't know. Fast motion set to Benny Hill?

Okay I'm done.
                    Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                    Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

the lady in distress who can't get out of her own blond dumb way

Comment

It doesn't get a lot of praise, but I think Last Action Hero is a decent spoof of the genre if you're looking for a movie with a bunch of action/movie cliches.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                          the lady in distress who can't get out of her own blond dumb way
                          Blond refers to males. Blonde is for females.

Comment

The black supervisor that looks like he's gonna blow a blood vessel as he yells at our hero. Although he still cuts him some slack because of the obligatory dead wife.

The reluctant partner. Usually two days from retirement and getting too old for this shit.

The bad guy who has our hero at the end of a gun and decides to explain everything about his motivations. Usually right before they go at it mano et mano in an abandoned factory that still shoots steam.

The empty automatic weapon that CLICKS when the trigger is pulled. The car that blows up when the gas tank is shot. The pool of gas that ignites when a cigarette is tossed (in slow motion) into it.

The best school for action movie tropes is any Shane Black script. Not because he relies on them, but because he has fun with them.
                            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

The bad guy is almost always foreign. That is, non-USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X