Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo

I thought it was decent, but wildly overrated. It's fairly standard thriller stuff. I feel like it's a foreign movie that will appeal to people who generally don't watch many foreign movies so that they can say they watch foreign movies. But you could tell the same story Stateside without skipping a beat. Oh wait, that's what they're doing.

Comment

There were some differences from the book, which I liked up until the dull ending. I was hoping for some world shattering reveal at the end of this story, but alas, I was let down.

I've only read the first one. I would probably give the next a chance at some point. I'm really not finding the main character very likable. Really, who enjoys anti-social emo bit*ches?
      Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
      Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

saw it last week after hearing all the hype. honestly, i think its a solid movie but it wasnt anything that blew me away that screamed "must be adapted." i thought the girl with the tattoo was off putting because of her makeup and rings. i thought how am i supposed to identify with this character? i actually switched it off because i was so detached, got bored and switched it back on. thankfully the journalist became the protag.

SPOILERS
        and like what other posters said, the scenes with the sexual brutalization were forced and overdone. it also put her in a very unfavorable light, weak, submissive and worst of all, stupid. i mean who would just stand there and let themselves get raped? then to go over again to his apartment. i know it was part of her plan to frame him but the way it unfolded the entire time youre thinking man this girl's stupid which carries over even after you hear why she allowed it. they should have cut out of the scene earlier and then youre left with a good idea of what happened but seeing the whole thing puts the blame squarely on her.

the beginning with the trial was confusing too as i wondered what was the significance of that but once i saw it again (after i had initially stopped) it was clear he was a disgraced journalist looking to redeem himself.

still a pretty good movie but nowhere near fincher's seven.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
          SPOILERS
          and like what other posters said, the scenes with the sexual brutalization were forced and overdone. it also put her in a very unfavorable light, weak, submissive and worst of all, stupid. i mean who would just stand there and let themselves get raped? then to go over again to his apartment. i know it was part of her plan to frame him but the way it unfolded the entire time youre thinking man this girl's stupid which carries over even after you hear why she allowed it. they should have cut out of the scene earlier and then youre left with a good idea of what happened but seeing the whole thing puts the blame squarely on her.
          she never expected a violent rape and said something like, "i thought i would only be forced to give you another blow job but..."
          we all see and interpret things differently. to me she was just taking charge. all of her privileges were taken away from her and this was her way of getting them back... taking control. she is not the type of person who authorities would listen to. her violent childhood background and upbringing in a mental health facility reduces her respectability with them. a picture is evidence that cannot be taken away.

maybe she saw the movie the accused with jodi foster (which is based on a true story btw) where a woman was gang raped in a bar and a bunch of men wouldn't come to her aid. she was blamed for the incident for having "questionable character". if only that bar had cameras... she wouldn't have had such a hard time convincing the authorities that she didn't ask for it.

btw - the rape tape is used in a subplot in the next installment. that dood wants the tape back and will do anything to get it.
          Last edited by NikeeGoddess; 07-27-2010, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
            she never expected a violent rape and said something like, "i thought i would only be forced to give you another blow job but..."
            we all see and interpret things differently. to me she was just taking charge. all of her privileges were taken away from her and this was her way of getting them back... taking control. she is not the type of person who authorities would listen to. her violent childhood background and upbringing in a mental health facility reduces her respectability with them. a picture is evidence that cannot be taken away.

maybe she saw the movie the accused with jodi foster (which is based on a true story btw) where a woman was gang raped in a bar and a bunch of men wouldn't come to her aid. she was blamed for the incident for having "questionable character". if only that bar had cameras... she wouldn't have had such a hard time convincing the authorities that she didn't ask for it.

btw - the rape tape is used in a subplot in the next installment. that dood wants the tape back and will do anything to get it.
            i see you're point but to me, it's a simple choice: get raped or go before mental health authorities and explain your case. heck, you could even get the police involved. i know you can explain it away with how she fears authorities but really, nothing can be as bad as getting raped by a sadistic old man. and there's no way she could've convinced her boss to pay her under the table?

Comment

like she said... she got more than she expected (which was more of the same). she got more than we (the audience) expected -- a lot more

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                THIS is the reason people are so sick of Hollywood remaking everything.

Sh*t, seriously, when was this film made and already someone's wanting to re-do it? And asking the lead actress to learn to speak in an American accent for ignorant viewers? Suck my balls!
                I agree. This pandering to the lowest common denominator has to stop, especially with foreign films that they probably aren't even interested in to begin with.

Let The Right One In is an overseas hit, and we have to make an inferior copy specially tailored for our lazy, ignorant masses because they don't know any of the actors and don't want to read subtitles?

You'd have to be a real loser to fall for something like that instead of just watching the original.

Comment

FINCHER is re-testing a new round of actresses. They got themselves in deep on this one. I just don't see many american actresses playing the smart, kick-ass, sexy, don't give a **** Lisbeth without HW Fvckng **** up.

Ellen page is on the list i heard... just throw up, excuse me gotta get a towel...

first mistake: casting the male role before the lead.

they need an unknown for this one, one with a foreign accent.

Comment

Originally posted by montevideo View Post

Ellen page is on the list i heard... just throw up, excuse me gotta get a towel...
                    Actually, before JUNO Ellen Page played a similar, dark character, who gets brutal revenge on some creep, entraps him and tortures him. Except that the girl in that movie is only 14

Anyway, apparently she's out, as are Mulloney and Portman. Fincher wants someone younger than 24. Ironically, the chick in the original looks much older than that because of that hard look on her face.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                      Actually, before JUNO Ellen Page played a similar, dark character, who gets brutal revenge on some creep, entraps him and tortures him. Except that the girl in that movie is only 14

Anyway, apparently she's out, as are Mulloney and Portman. Fincher wants someone younger than 24. Ironically, the chick in the original looks much older than that because of that hard look on her face.
                      Agreed Lisbeth looked 33 or 26 with a massive drug problem...

Craig will pick off the marketing for it anyway so HW needs to find some balls and go for the unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                        There were some differences from the book, which I liked up until the dull ending. I was hoping for some world shattering reveal at the end of this story, but alas, I was let down.

I've only read the first one. I would probably give the next a chance at some point. I'm really not finding the main character very likable. Really, who enjoys anti-social emo bit*ches?
                        i wonder if audiences always expect that sort of earth shattering reveal now. i felt that way myself, too. i wonder if movies like the usual suspects, sixth sense, beautiful mind and fight club set the bar for reveals higher and anything less than that is considered pat.

Comment

the bigger problem is timing. most remakes of foreign flicks are done years later. AND most have not been seen by so many in the US market already. there will not be much of a surprise or revealing element.

so many french flicks have been remade into hollywierd flicks -- it's probably one reason why they hate americans. are the swedes next on the list? lol!

and yeah, i saw that flick where 14 yr old ellen page castrated her rapist. but she was an unknown at that time. now she's too much of a cutesy thing. it wouldn't work. kirsten stewart is known for being a "brooding" actor... always in a state of depression over her unfortunate fame, so...

Comment

What happened to Carrey Mulligan?
                            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                              so many french flicks have been remade into hollywierd flicks -- it's probably one reason why they hate americans. are the swedes next on the list? lol!
                              Actually, Swedes were first. Hello Let the Right One In. I find it funny how it's even becoming Let Me In in the American remake title. I guess they figured the original title might be too confusing (?) for American audiences who would say "Wait, what right one? What does that even mean?". Gotta love those genIASS studio execs who think all Americans are horny, ignorant idiots who just want to see model breasts and shiny things go boom.

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
                                Actually, Swedes were first. Hello Let the Right One In. I find it funny how it's even becoming Let Me In in the American remake title. I guess they figured the original title might be too confusing (?) for American audiences who would say "Wait, what right one?
                                neither of these 2 points make any sense

Comment

Working...
                                X