What's your Biggest Box Office Summer FLOP prediction?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your Biggest Box Office Summer FLOP prediction?

my vote goes to Prince of Persia.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: What's your Biggest Box Office Summer FLOP prediction?

Jonah Hex
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Robin Hood.

Comment

The Expendables.

Looks fun, and is getting some internet buzz... but so did Snakes on a Plane and Grindhouse.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

oh yea i'd put my money on that too....that one feels just like "The Losers" to me....well maybe not that bad, but close.
          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if THE LAST AIRBENDER sh!ts the bed.

Comment

I don't think of Expendables like Losers. Losers had a bunch of B and C list actors and no-names trying to carry a film. And they proved they couldn't.

Expendables however, has a bunch of veterans with recognizable names and faces. Whether the movie is good or not, I think a lot of people will pay to see it just to get a feeling of nostalgia, as it's a throwback to the 80s/90s action flicks we all grew up loving. It may not do massively well, but I don't think it'll bomb either.

I agree that Jonah Hex will be the biggest bomb. I know Hollywood has a hard-on for Josh Brolin, but the fact is....the public doesn't. He is NOT a bankable star. He's talented yes, but appealing to the mass market, NO. And Megan Fox isn't good for anything but being a pin-up, and as was proven with Jennifer's Body, a pin-up does not a box office hit make. There's nothing about Jonah Hex that appeals to me, and I don't think it'll appeal to much of anybody except a few diehard comic fanboys. The trailer, to be honest, presents a movie that has an awful Uwe Boll/Bloodrayne-esque feel to it, and I think it'll bomb profusely.

Comment

i actually think this is going to be the most money-losing summer in recent memory. we've got all these movies based on second-rate properties coming out such as the ones already mentioned above but i'll repeat them anyway:

jonah hex (never heard of the comic even though i was a comic fan back in the day)

the a-team (if the losers is any indication, will bomb hard)

the expendables (strangely enough, id rather see these guys in solo movies than crammed into this one. kinda like a salesman throwing every freebie at you when all you want is a good product...so you wonder if the product's any good, why is he trying so hard?)

last airbender (cmon, the happening and lady in the water anyone? two of the worst movies in the past decade)

prince of persia (it was a good video game back in i think the late 80s but if you look at all subsequent incarnations of the game, the gameplay always was lackluster and so was the fan reception. always came off to me as my father's sort of game)

pretty much all the remakes of 80's material seem destined to suck. maybe because i still remember watching the movies and thinking they were guilty pleasures if not outright awful.

so far, only inception and im2 are on my watch list. this decade is off to a pretty crappy start if we're just going to be reliving the 80s.

Comment

Totally agree with lordmanji. This summer is a wasteland of second and third string crap. I only really care about three of the big big movies. IRON MAN 2 is out, INCEPTION and TOY STORY 3 are givens, but everything else I'm looking forward to is limited release/art house stuff (like SPLICE, THE KILLER INSIDE ME, CENTURION and VALHALLA RISING) that won't make bank. Maybe PIRANHA 3D will be a runaway hit, it looks like a hoot.

Comment

maybe biggest thing about prince of persia is that they have Jake G playing the lead and he looks ridiculous with that long hair imitating a Persian with that accent. when i look at him all i can think of his the last movie he did that was a big hit - Broke Back Mountain. it's just so obvious hollywood wanted a recognizable actor in that lead role even if it meant losing the authenticity of the character.

loved the video game btw.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

What a positive thread!

I don't see M Knight doing well with -- The Last Airbender. It's based on something no one knows and the trailer looks good, yet I feel I've seen this movie before.

Comment

lol @ positive thread

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

When JONAH HEX flops (and it won't even be an if) I can't help but feel it's gonna be mostly the studio's fault. Sure you gotta have a director who at least needs to know what he's doing, but I read the original Neveldine/ Taylor script and to me it was just fine. It even tried to put a few nice spins on a classic genre and give it a little bit of a supernatural edge.
                          Since then they've (endlessy) retooled it and there's been almost zero publicity for it. It's almost like they (Warners) want this to disappear from cinema's in just af few days.
                          "Oh, what might have been...."

Comment

Originally posted by tinman01 View Post
                            When JONAH HEX flops (and it won't even be an if) I can't help but feel it's gonna be mostly the studio's fault. Sure you gotta have a director who at least needs to know what he's doing, but I read the original Neveldine/ Taylor script and to me it was just fine. It even tried to put a few nice spins on a classic genre and give it a little bit of a supernatural edge.
                            Since then they've (endlessy) retooled it and there's been almost zero publicity for it. It's almost like they (Warners) want this to disappear from cinema's in just af few days.
                            "Oh, what might have been...."
                            i actually liked neveldine and taylor's crank and gamer. but if you watched the doc on how they make movies, these guys fly by the seat of their chairs(is that the right expression lol never used it). i think they shot something like 100 setups in one day on gamer. they just told the special effects guy to be ready for anything so he made some sort of mix of blood/gore effects that could be dressed at a moment's notice. also, one of the guys operates as the cameraman and he likes to skate while doing it. so point is, these guys operate outside of the box and may not be the most organized directorially as a comic book movie with likely lots of cg demands. ironically these guys started out doing vfx.

Comment

Yeah until recently I really had no clue what they spent on Jonah Hex. Figured it was a $50 million movie with maybe $10 million in reshoots, but I'm hearing like more than double that.

How did the director **** that up so bad? Still want it to be good however.

I dunno, I think Avatar the Last Airbender won't do what they want it to, I mean, how popular is that show, really? The ratings aren't that great, the product visibility isn't that high, and from what I understand they also spent quite a bit of cash. Some say it will get seen because of Shyamalan's name, but I think he ruined the last of any remaining good will with anyone when he released The Happening.

It's a great summer for foreign/independent stuff though. All I hear is people complaining about studios making crap. I see it as entertaining, it's like the junk food of entertainment. I can watch Tim Allen's new film Crazy on the Outside, but after, I have to watch some Takashi Miike, something to remind me that there are people with brains.

I dunno, more of my favorite filmmakers are currently making films than dead/retired it seems. Great time to be a media consumer. Maybe not on the scale that we were used to the past 10 years, but that's what everyone is getting used to in every facet of life, we are consuming media way differently now than we were 10 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X