No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets say you're a studio boss...

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
    You asked me to prove you wrong - I did. And then you respond by saying this...

"Great, now I've got a stalker."

Nice. You really got me with that one.
    You're just like those clueless execs, Jones... can't recognize fresh, brilliant material when you see it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrEarbrass View Post
      You're just like those clueless execs, Jones... can't recognize fresh, brilliant material when you see it.
      Exaaaactly.

Especially when they *think* they've done something *great* when they're not even in the ballpark.

Proved me wrong? Where?

70% of films released by the studio system DON'T flop? proof?

There ISN'T a lack of vision and originality in the halls of HW offices? Proof?

It DOES makes sense to *play* studio boss when I haven't read EITHER of those scripts nor any coverage? (Unless you're willing to admit that studio bosses ALWAYS greenlight projects without knowing full well what's actually going to be IN the movie -- which in that case would prove my point even more.) Ahem -- PROOF??

And the Blacklist "championed oscar winners"?? And what types of people make up the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences? Mailroom clerks? Riiight.

More than half of hollywood execs DON'T snort coke like it's prescribed? Proof?

Which of those exactly did you prove wrong, sir?

Yeah, didn't think so. Where's Erin Andrews when you need her? I'm with you, sista!

And I admit, this would be a super-cool thread if there was a way to see more than the titles, cast, and loglines. In the sports equivalent of a thread/conversation/debate like this you can always look to how that team played last week, matchups, etc, etc.

But with little info PLUS the fact that this entire thread was admittedly started based on another thread that was critical of HW execs -- not so cool.

As for the exec(s) I've been in contact with? NO. I don't think they're much different or are innocent of the flaws that I and others have mentioned (minus the blow, of course) on this thread (and on this site for YEARS long before and long after I'm here.)

But like any demographic there's always the ones that are an exception to the rule -- and Godspeed to them whoever they are.

And why would I want to do business with them? For the same reason MILLIONS OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, maybe even yourself, get up and go to work or do business with people that they don't necessarily like, trust, or agree with.

Gee, I hope this post meets you guys' approval.

*twiddles thumbs with nervous facial expression.*

Last edited by Greenwood; 08-15-2010, 07:18 PM.
      "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
      - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
        Despite having very little marketing even though its release is a couple weeks away, Machete is already tracking surprisingly well with males under 25. Even if it winds up being another niche market film, it still stands to make around what Furious Angel estimated in the U.S. by the end of its theatrical run. It's also going to release overseas, and could do about the same there as well, likely a little more. All in all, Machete will definitely make its budget back, and turn a nice little profit.

And I think we need more Machete-type films. It's a lower budget film shot in a short amount of time with a large ensemble cast and a built-in targeting of a definitive market and key demographic. You just can't beat the appeal of something like that from a studio's perspective.

And speaking of "safe bets" that seems to be the SAFEST and most logical bet in hollywood.

People have wondered (myself included) how somebody like Tyler Perry could be almost singlehandedly holding Lions Gate and Turner Broadcasting on his back -- but then I realized that the bolded above is EXACTLY how and why he does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
          Exaaaactly.

Especially when they *think* they've done something *great* when they're not even in the ballpark.

Proved me wrong? Where?

70% of films released by the studio system DON'T flop? proof?

There ISN'T a lack of vision and originality in the halls of HW offices? Proof?

It DOES makes sense to *play* studio boss when I haven't read EITHER of those scripts nor any coverage? (Unless you're willing to admit that studio bosses ALWAYS greenlight projects without knowing full well what's actually going to be IN the movie -- which in that case would prove my point even more.) Ahem -- PROOF??

And the Blacklist "championed oscar winners"?? And what types of people make up the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences? Mailroom clerks? Riiight.

More than half of hollywood execs DON'T snort coke like it's prescribed? Proof?

Which of those exactly did you prove wrong, sir?

Yeah, didn't think so. Where's Erin Andrews when you need her? I'm with you, sista!

And I admit, this would be a super-cool thread if there was a way to see more than the titles, cast, and loglines. In the sports equivalent of a thread/conversation/debate like this you can always look to how that team played last week, matchups, etc, etc.

But with little info PLUS the fact that this entire thread was admittedly started based on another thread that was critical of HW execs -- not so cool.

As for the exec(s) I've been in contact with? NO. I don't think they're much different or are innocent of the flaws that I and others have mentioned (minus the blow, of course) on this thread (and on this site for YEARS long before and long after I'm here.)

But like any demographic there's always the ones that are an exception to the rule -- and Godspeed to them whoever they are.

And why would I want to do business with them? For the same reason MILLIONS OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, maybe even yourself, get up and go to work or do business with people that they don't necessarily like, trust, or agree with.

Gee, I hope this post meets you guys' approval.

*twiddles thumbs with nervous facial expression.*

Dude, you are so all over the map with this post I wouldn't even know where to begin to break it down. I have no idea what your point is or what you're trying to say.

No sense in trying to reason with you since you clearly have whatever opinions you're trying to articulate set in stone. I wish you good luck with that read at the production company and in your pursuit of finding a manager. Sincerely.
          https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
            Dude, you are so all over the map with this post I wouldn't even know where to begin to break it down. I have no idea what your point is or what you're trying to say.

No sense in trying to reason with you since you clearly have whatever opinions you're trying to articulate set in stone. I wish you good luck with that read at the production company and in your pursuit of finding a manager. Sincerely.
            My point is pretty clear. Even seperated the points for you in that post you quoted. Seemed you had a "clear" understanding of my "point" when you thought your were "proving me wrong" and slinging other unnecessary vitriol toward me, but now all of sudden I'm "all over the map".

But that's okay, that's the "internets" for ya.

If you think hollywood as a whole is doing a bang up job, more power to ya, but don't chastise me or anyone else for having a different take on it.

And I appreciate the well wishes -- same to you. Sincerely.

Comment

I never understand threads like these.

Nearly every day there's some new story about the utterly asinine things studio executives do, say, and think, and everyone generally seems on board with finding it all ridiculous. Read any number of columns on Wordplay and you'll be buried in stories of studio incompetence. Go anywhere, not just screenwriting message boards, and you'll find people saying the same things said here. The absurd turnover rate for film executives doesn't do a whole lot to inspire confidence, either.

And yet whenever a thread like this pops up, a handful of people come crawling out of the woodwork on their white steeds to defend the honor of movie executives, almost always brandishing the phrases "record breaking box office" and "bitter screenwriter" as their weapons of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post

Nearly every day there's some new story about the utterly asinine things studio executives do, say, and think, and everyone generally seems on board with finding it all ridiculous. Read any number of columns on Wordplay and you'll be buried in stories of studio incompetence. Go anywhere, not just screenwriting message boards, and you'll find people saying the same things said here. The absurd turnover rate for film executives doesn't do a whole lot to inspire confidence, either.

And yet whenever a thread like this pops up, a handful of people come crawling out of the woodwork on their white steeds to defend the honor of movie executives, almost always brandishing the phrases "record breaking box office" and "bitter screenwriter" as their weapons of choice.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

...almost always brandishing the phrases "record breaking box office"...
                    My limited experience so far is that these guys who hold the power are not very interested in making money -- they're interested primarily in keeping what they have.

They're so afraid of losing it. Not as a result of a lack of competitiveness (which should be what keeps them on their toes) but because they've achieved their lofty positions and $$$ in the bank and now don't want to lose it through some lawsuit or whatever. Nobody takes chances in this industry compared to, say, the computer industry (my day job) where the "next great thing" is sought, instead of the "next same thing".

I find it really strange.

Maybe it's understandable when you see how much power is concentrated in the hands of so few large entities, and it's so hard to break in. Rot's set in.

They're so lucky, too, because in this case the audience/customer is an enslaved one: People love to go to movies. But this "record breaking box office" could be a lot bigger if those with the power played their cards right and permitted a bit more ingenuity and originality.

However, I guess it's "record breaking" enough for them, and their safe little bank accounts, with their cautious little lawyers and mousy little accountants telling them so.

Comment

Nearly every day there's some new story about the utterly asinine things studio executives do, say, and think, and everyone generally seems on board with finding it all ridiculous.
                      There's a huge difference between pointing out something specific an executive did and calling all executives who vote on the blacklist "talentless."

I didn't realize I just crawled out of the woodwork.

Does "record breaking box office" not count for anything? It just seems like a really soft argument to say the executives primarily responsible for content in this town are talentless while the business is doing better than ever. Because in this economy, that seems significant to me. Even if 70 percent of movie are "flops" it doesn't matter. If the business model takes that into account and the bottom line continues to be extremely successful - who cares. Not every shirt Gap makes is going to be a winner for them. Not every first round draft pick in the NFL is going to become a Hall of famer.

And about that bitter thing - it seems like it's a handful of the aspiring writers who have yet to actually work with these executives who spew generalizations despite never having had any first hand experience with these people. If the people who say these things are happy about their careers, feel it's going in a positive direction and don't need a crutch for why they haven't made it yet - I'm sorry for using that description.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                        My limited experience so far is that these guys who hold the power are not very interested in making money -- they're interested primarily in keeping what they have.

They're so afraid of losing it. Not as a result of a lack of competitiveness (which should be what keeps them on their toes) but because they've achieved their lofty positions and $$$ in the bank and now don't want to lose it through some lawsuit or whatever. Nobody takes chances in this industry compared to, say, the computer industry (my day job) where the "next great thing" is sought, instead of the "next same thing".

I find it really strange.

Maybe it's understandable when you see how much power is concentrated in the hands of so few large entities, and it's so hard to break in. Rot's set in.

They're so lucky, too, because in this case the audience/customer is an enslaved one: People love to go to movies. But this "record breaking box office" could be a lot bigger if those with the power played their cards right and permitted a bit more ingenuity and originality.

However, I guess it's "record breaking" enough for them, and their safe little bank accounts, with their cautious little lawyers and mousy little accountants telling them so.
                        What he said.

(and what I've BEEN saying in this thread and the thread that inspired it)

Comment

I think there's a lot of executives who are just like a lot of writers. Extremely knowledgable about film and passionate about creating something worthwhile, but hamstrung by the politics of corporate business and trying to guess the unpredictable whims of filmgoers.

It a miracle that anything good manages to slip through, ever.

There's a million things I don't understand about the business. Like why would Warner Brothers go out of their way to create a balance sheet showing that the last Harry Potter movie lost money? If losing money is a good thing, shouldn't Universal be thrilled about Scott Pilgrim?

And speaking of SP, I've never understood why studios buy film rights to novels. I don't mean The Firm or Da Vinci Code, I mean modest best sellers like Snow Falling On Cedars, Before And After and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. If a million people read a book and then every single one of them go to the movie, you still have a bomb.

It's a business model that fails over and over, yet they keep doing it again and again. There has to be a reason. Is it because these films really are profitable in the long run, and everything we think we know about domestic grosses (ignoring foreign and domestic tv, home video sales in perpetuity, anciallary income etc) is wrong?

Comment

I've decided that I'm ignoring the views of anyone who doesn't put SAW 3D in their Greenlight selection.

Not because I like the Movies. Quite the opposite. But-

Released.... Movie.... Worldwide Gross...... Budget

10/29/2004 Saw.......$103,096,345..... $1,200,000
                            10/28/2005 Saw II... $152,925,093..... $5,000,000
                            10/27/2006 Saw III ..$163,876,815..... $10,000,000
                            10/26/2007 Saw IV.. $134,528,909..... $10,000,000
                            10/24/2008 Saw V....$113,146,769..... $10,800,000
                            10/23/2009 Saw VI...$61,259,697....... $11,000,000
                            10/29/2010 Saw VII 3D----

Totals................... $728,833,628.... $48,000,000
                            Averages...............$121,472,271...... $8,000,000
                            (I'm not sure if this includes DVD sales. I'm pretty sure it doesn't)

So factor in the current (and hopefully fleeting) 3D fad and I think you may be looking at the highest grossing saw yet.

Assuming a $20 Mill budget, you're still looking at a conservative $150 Mill (Halloween release in 3D! For something with an established rabid fan base).

So I stick with my original pick based on Budget to Box Office.

SAW 3D
                            JACKASS 3D
                            PARANORMAL 2

You have no idea how much I wish I was wrong, but the indictment of HW is that these are the movies I'd Greenlight. And I hate each and every one of them. It's not Producer's fault. IT's the public. They vote every time with their feet. This is the tragic overspill of the ADHD, MTV-Generation!

And you can argue integrity in selecting the more highbrow fare... but I'm afraid in HW integrity lives out of a cardboard box and eats discarded Styrofoam for lunch!

Comment

Why does it usually seem to be the case that the people bitching about Hollywood and all the moronic execs and reps are not making a living writing? This is usually how it breaks down:

Aspiring Writer:

"Hollywood sucks, it's unoriginal, it's populated by a bunch of idiots and souls sucking suits, they don't take creative chances, their movies fail."

Working writer:

"Hollywood is a tough business. I've met a couple of douchebags, but I've also met some fantastic people."

First position, extreme, generally informed by third hand gossip.

Second position, balanced, informed by real world experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                                Why does it usually seem to be the case that the people bitching about Hollywood and all the moronic execs and reps are not making a living writing? This is usually how it breaks down:

Aspiring Writer:

"Hollywood sucks, it's unoriginal, it's populated by a bunch of idiots and souls sucking suits, they don't take creative chances, their movies fail."

Working writer:

"Hollywood is a tough business. I've met a couple of douchebags, but I've also met some fantastic people."

First position, extreme, generally informed by third hand gossip.

Second position, balanced, informed by real world experience.
                                Funny thing is, there's really not a big difference between those two positions as you posted them.

In fact, combine the two and you have a 70% negative position, lol.

And the whole "working writers/execs/filmmakers LOVE the industry" excuse doesn't hold water.

I guess I'm the only one that's seen the interviews of NUMEROUS filmmakers and actors (many A-list) taking jabs at the industry as a whole.

And maybe I don't surf the internets enough, but I rarely find a poster that has NOTHING positive to say about the industry.

The fact that someone is even on a site like this exposes them as a film fan.

In fact, no one takes a moment to think that maybe their hardcore critiques of HW execs is actually a result of how much they LOVE the artform/industry, not how much they hate it.

Reminds me of a teenage girl thinking her mother hates her and/or just "jealous" of her because she won't let her go out the house with the top of her thong showing.

Comment

Working...
                                X