Is there any chance 'John Carter' doesn't fail?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there any chance 'John Carter' doesn't fail?

So why is the default on this film to trash it?
    Too many haters.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I read ALL the books in HS and still have them somewhere in the basement of my parent's house. I'm comparing my knowledge of the series with the trailers I've seen, and that said...

They're gonna shank John Carter just like they did with Dune.

I think it would fare better as a TV series, but it would be crazy expensive.
      I'm always right.

Comment

I'm sure even if it does fail it would be a critical darling
        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

I read somewhere the conceit that John Carter is a regular guy, but that the gravity of Mars makes him the strongest man on that planet, and thought "how cool."

The couple of TV spots I have seen? I can hardly make sense of it beyond "gladiator battles on an alien planet" which wouldn't interest me in the slightest in isolation.

Knowing that it's Stanton helps, especially after seeing what Brad Bird brought to the M:I franchise. As long as the reviews are glowing, I'm there. But I don't see how this is going to be a hit with the ad campaign I've seen so far.

Comment

John Carter is like Fafyrd and The Grey Mouser. They are characters overshadowed by their big brothers Tarzan and Conan.

But I'm hoping this actually does work, becuase if it does, maybe we'll get an Elric movie somewhere down the line.

Comment

the kid in me wants this to succeed big time, the adult cries out "fail!" already... I guess therein lies the dilemma for John Carter, (of Mars)
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

i never heard of john carter
                and when i see the trailer i think, "you couldn't pay me to go see that."
                no appeal whatsoever!!!

sheeeet! for $250mil they could have made 5 really good flickers with that money.

Comment

"you are ugly, but you are beautiful."

still laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                    Because most antiquated sci-fi is out of date. In this case, it was out of date when you were 12, Bill.
                    Yeah - that's my point. That this was an old book when everyone my age was reading it at 12 years old. Though - as someone on the thread said - it's not sci-fi, it's big adventure like STAR WARS or PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN even. But I don't understand how someone could never have heard of it - since the books have been in print for 100 years. If the books are in print, it means they are selling thousands of copies. (Just checked on Amazon - and it seems that almost every year in the past dozen a new version has come out in paperback... and that seems to be close to the case through the 90s and 80s. Mass Market Paperback in 1984 *and* 1986. So the book was *popular*.)

And - John Carter is like Superman. A normal guy on Earth, but due to differences in gravity, he's stronger and can jump higher and all sorts of stuff that allows him to survive on Mars.

One of the cool things in the book that I want to see how they handle in the film is part of the "gladiator" scene - all of the prisoners fight to the death and they let the day's winner walk... but they start with men vs. freakin' wild animals, and there's no way that any man could ever win. But Carter and this other prisoner - who become friends - each take on their animals and live... and keep taking on animals and living. And with every win, they become closer friends - because they're proving they may be stringer than the badguys... But then it comes down to the last two contestants - Carter and his friend. One must die for the other to live. Nice dramatic situation.

But I still don't get the negative buzz part.

- Bill
                    Free Script Tips:
                    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa...there's some schmuck actor using the last name of Kitsch?

Really? Was Schlock taken?
                      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

But for what it's worth...John Carter is classic fantasy, just as old school cool as Dracula and Frankenstein or Sherlock Holmes. And now that Hollywood finally has the tools to pull it off properly, John Carter gets his turn.

Dismissing something just because you've never heard of the source material is ludicrous. I mean, Shane Black is working on a Doc Savage project. Who the hell is Doc Savage? Well, he's all sorts of cool that you've never heard of.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post

Dismissing something just because you've never heard of the source material is ludicrous. I mean, Shane Black is working on a Doc Savage project. Who the hell is Doc Savage? Well, he's all sorts of cool that you've never heard of.
                          Everyone's heard of Doc Savage...right? I mean, I get it if they don't know who Thuvia, Maid of Mars is, but not Doc Savage!
                          If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                          Dave Barry

Comment

I'd like JC to not fail for a few reasons, but it feels like hope against hope. With that kind of a budget for source material with a limited built-in audience plus being released in early March, it does not add up to blockbuster success. Surprise the ef out of me, please!!!

I have not read the source material. Heard of it. Never got around to it.
                            #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

- Bill
                              I didn't want to clutter the thread with the entire post. In regards to Battleship, I'm sure you'll hear a ton of negative press once that release date gets closer. That one looks brutal, imo. They didn't even really attempt to differentiate it from Transformers. It stars our man Kitsch (poor Kitsch, he's about to become the face of failure, imo) a supermodel, Rihanna, and for some weird reason, Liam Neeson. That's all it has going for it. I don't mind Peter Berg (even though Hancock was a massive swing and a miss) but average joe doesn't care about him either.

also, if I must say, the aliens in both of these movies look pretty ridiculous. Especially John Carter. Outside of District 9, I can't recall the last time I thought an alien race was really cool looking, could just be short term memory loss though.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                                One of the cool things in the book that I want to see how they handle in the film is part of the "gladiator" scene - all of the prisoners fight to the death and they let the day's winner walk... but they start with men vs. freakin' wild animals, and there's no way that any man could ever win. But Carter and this other prisoner - who become friends - each take on their animals and live... and keep taking on animals and living. And with every win, they become closer friends - because they're proving they may be stringer than the badguys... But then it comes down to the last two contestants - Carter and his friend. One must die for the other to live. Nice dramatic situation.

But I still don't get the negative buzz part.

- Bill
                                Because the ads make it look like a DTV Mummy prequel and tell us jack about the story.

I love that bit you explained about the gladiator friends, but where is that kind of drama in the trailer? All I see are 1996 special effects.

If anything is to blame for negative buzz, it's the atrocious marketing that seems aimed toward the kids who will ask their parents to buy them the toys.

Comment

Working...
                                X