No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hunger Games

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
    My only disappointment is that they didn't develop the other contestants at all. Not even names, really. So no ambiguity in to how to feel when they died. Might as well have been playing a FPS.
    that's how it was in the book too. it wasn't an ensemble story, it was all POV Katniss.

most of you guys just don't understand how to write great women characters. that's the real problem. and the other problem is that some power players in the industry have no respect for great women character either. they believe if i can't do them then nobody else can, so why try?

oftentimes, writers (men and women) because they're trying to emulate what's been done before. this is quite obvious in character descriptions where women are always "stunningly beautiful" and crap like that.

THIS IS AN EXCERPT OF WHAT GEENA DAVIS* HAS TO SAY:
    It's a battle fought on two fronts. First, The Hunger Games must bring
    in the kind of box office numbers that prove to Hollywood that a film
    led by a young female heroine who's not cast as a sex symbol can bring
    in audiences. And second, for Katniss to truly triumph, she must embody
    the type of female heroine â smart, tough, compassionate â that has
    been sorely lacking in the popular culture landscape for so very long.
    *a super strong advocate for women in the film industry, but i'm sure you guys don't know all the campaigning that she does for women. http://www.thegeenadavisinstitute.org/
    ALSO, an Olympic contender for the Syndey games in the sport of Archery. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...hery/lg_davis_
    ap_01.jpg

Katniss = smart, tough, and compassionate. that's the winning combination. you need all three. most writers can only do 2. think about it for your next script.
    Last edited by NikeeGoddess; 03-30-2012, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Where did they get all those racist tweets? A paralell dystopian universe? Maybe they same paralell dystopian universe where Crash took place? That'd make sense.

@NikeeGoddess: what's wrong with "stunningly beautiful" women -other than maybe being a dull choice of words?

Comment

mediocre film. Not bad, and more engaging at times than most sh*t I've seen this year. But just an overall meh

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
          Where did they get all those racist tweets? A paralell dystopian universe? Maybe they same paralell dystopian universe where Crash took place? That'd make sense.
          the same people who wouldn't step foot in a theater that was showing Red Tails. they exist. and you don't need to be in a dystopian universe to find them.

i'm thinking with all the money they've made on this first one they can definitely afford to up the production value on the next one. no more tyler perry budgets.

Comment

Yes, I know they exist, I've even come accross some people like that, but when it happens I feel more disbelief than outrage, like "are you kidding? where's the camera? hello?" I genuinely don't understand what those people are about, they are like aliens or something. So, yes, more than disgusted, I feel like I need to pinch myself.

Comment

What was this thread about again?
              Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Working...
              X