Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battleship

You walked into Battleship expecting not to have your intelligence insulted?
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

For me, the most exciting scene was when they played battleship... and I just wish the rest of the movie had been like that.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Rhianna and Chris Brown are in talks to star in a movie version of "Rock Em Sock Em Robots".

Then if all goes according to plan the sequel, "Operation".

Comment

Originally posted by halloweenjak View Post
          a movie version of "Rock Em Sock Em Robots".
          Already happened. Real Steel.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
            Already happened. Real Steel.
            It was a joke on the domestic violence they have against each other.[or mostly Chris on Rhianna]

Comment

Agreeing with Anagram. It seems like some people think that it is physically painful to watch this film.
              "Write the bad version first." -- Alec Berg

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                Clever? As a sci-fi writer, I'm offended. I can assure you, this script was not clever. The aliens were incompetent beyond belief. Let us examine:

a) They can navigate a treacherous cosmos, yet their comm ship smashes into a DirectTV satellite.
                b) The bridge windows aren't bulletproof, yet somehow survived micrometeors travelling at 2 km/s in space.
                c) If they're about to call in reinforcements to invade Earth, why bother with any rules of engagement?
                d) During the night battle, the alien ships take no evasive action in response to the incoming Tomahawks. Do a few zig-zags for fu*k's sake!
                e) They have the know-how to travel the stars, yet utilize paper-strength armor and fire slow moving shells/pegs that can be shot out of the sky with a Phalanx. Railguns anyone?

But what really sunk this film was a critical mistake many sci-fi's make: No antagonist to focus our anger. Sci-fi's need a Darth Vader or Kahn. Battleship's antagonistic force was a generic bunch of evil aliens. So when our heros finally defeat them, it leaves us with a hollow feeling.
                Was it really this terrible?? I haven't seen I so that's a serious question..

Although Independence Day pulled off a faceless(?) race of Aliens, again I haven't seen Battleship, so I can't compare them I guess.

My question to the writers here is this,

If a producer called you in and said, "we want to make battleship a movie, any ideas?".

What would you pitch? I mean after you stopped laughing and realized he was serious..

My first thought was some war games gone wrong type thing, basically "War Games" on the ocean or something. but even that seems kind of lame.

Comment

Just watched this on Blu Ray on a LED tv and although a tad bit cliche-ish in spots I actually enjoyed it for what it was: An action pack flick. Maybe I'm bias being a former Marine, or maybe I just love the special effects, but either way it stays in my blu ray collection.

Comment

Originally posted by pjc View Post

If a producer called you in and said, "we want to make battleship a movie, any ideas?".

What would you pitch? I mean after you stopped laughing and realized he was serious..

My first thought was some war games gone wrong type thing, basically "War Games" on the ocean or something. but even that seems kind of lame.
                    Battleship is a game played between two opponents using their best estimation to determine where their opposition will be located. To be honest, I didn't expect aliens so that kind of threw me...

If I was pitching it? Hmmm, I might have a supersecret military grade force field (think stealth) being tested and a soon-to-be retired rogue captain who feels its implementation will put the world at risk. Test initiated.

Now they have no choice but to rely on the younger hotshot captain to strategically shoot down the rogue ship with his own Comms girlfriend on board. Match wits young against old, pulling the trigger (when someone you love is at risk) for the greater good, etc.
                    life happens
                    despite a few cracked pots-
                    and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
                      If I was pitching it? Hmmm, I might have a supersecret military grade force field (think stealth) being tested and a soon-to-be retired rogue captain who feels its implementation will put the world at risk. Test initiated.

Now they have no choice but to rely on the younger hotshot captain to strategically shoot down the rogue ship with his own Comms girlfriend on board. Match wits young against old, pulling the trigger (when someone you love is at risk) for the greater good, etc.
                      Check out my logline on page 3. We should so write this

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
                        Check out my logline on page 3. We should so write this
                        I just came up with it on the fly for the thread. I was imagining a cross between the board game tactics, a stealth destroyer and Hunt for Red October (above the water).
                        life happens
                        despite a few cracked pots-
                        and random sunlight

Comment

This movie is coming true!

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/09...san-francisco/

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                            Wow, that is beyond ridiculous.. In regard to the comments section -- there are not enough straightjackets or padded rooms to help this crowd..
                            "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Battleship

Originally posted by pjc View Post
                              Was it really this terrible?? I haven't seen I so that's a serious question..

Although Independence Day pulled off a faceless(?) race of Aliens, again I haven't seen Battleship, so I can't compare them I guess.

As a Canuck, I'd go back to some interesting naval tactics and a trick successfully used in the First World War that was used again in the Second World War.

For a long time, Canadian submarines were older diesel-powered models. During some war games, the U.S. Navy considered them to be obsolete and ineffective. Then, the Canucks pulled off a few tricks on the Yanks. They'd shut down the engines and went silent, (couldn't be found); and, they'd get underneath one of the larger American warships, which made so much noise that no one could find them. Bigger isn't always better in warfare.

The Canucks once figured out that the Germans were using the steeple of a church as a reference point on their maps to help aim their artillery. On one dark night, the Canadian engineers demolished the original steeple and erected a false steeple nearby. The aim of the German artillery suffered as a consequence, hitting places hundreds of yards away from their intended targets. Instead of boasting about this trick, the Canucks kept quiet about it. That was a good idea, as the same trick was pulled off by Canadian engineers during the next war, to fool the German artillery, again.

At sea, (maybe, in a fog or stormy seas), with an antagonist using a lighthouse, or a beacon, to help aim his ship's guns, a protagonist with a lesser force might play an effective game of Battleship against a larger flotilla. So, I'd have kept the story grounded in a naval "war games" scenario, (ditching the "alien invaders"), and shown the importance of intelligence, strategy and tactics, (instead of firepower).

Terrible idea to pitch to Hollywood, (I know), as one could have an action film where no one gets killed and have a naval battle without any ships exploding and being sunk.
                              JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Working...
                              X