Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubrick vs Speilberg

Maybe you've already seen this, but it's a thought provoking little analysis, even if you don't agree. Both are great but I think I'd vote for Kubrick, too. Thoughts?

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1LvSDk/io9.com/5863928/terry-gilliam-explains-the-difference-between-kubrick-and-spielberg?popular=true&autoplay%2F
    Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Re: Kubrick vs Speilberg

Mmmm. I think that Kubrick is in a category of filmmakers that are so accomplished you can't really compare them among themselves: you may like one more than the others, but you can't really say any of them is better than the rest. It would be people like: Bergman, Kurosawa, Wilder, Hitchcock, Fellini, Kieslowski, Tarkovski,...

And I don't think Spielberg belongs in that category. So yes, I'd go with Kubrick too.

Comment

I think comparisons like this are fruitless unless you're comparing like with like - comedy vs comedy for example. Comedy vs thriller doesn't work because they're so different and do their jobs in different ways. Same here. Kubrick & Spielberg have, for the main, worked in vastly different cinematic worlds.

However, I believe Speilberg is unrivalled. I know it's hip to deride the commercially successful and to champion some avant garde European but from story to screen, feel to look, and the ability to tug and push emotions, I go for Spielberg over Kurosawa, Kubrick, Bergman, Truffaut everytime.

Plus, though it's common for eveyone to jump to the overused "he writes for kids 'cause he's a big kid" the fact is, he's a proven master in suspense, thriller, horror, sci fi and drama. E.T. may be his crowning, untouchable glory. But Jaws, Close Encounters, Duel and Poltergeist* are snapping at its heels.

*officially credited as being directed by Tobe Hooper but everyone knows it was Spielberg.
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

I don't reckon you can compare the two either since they make very different types of films.

Terry Gilliam's films leans towards that abstract style of storytelling.

Comment

I agree with Gilliam, but I'd also counter that Spielberg knows how to direct actors. Kubrick knew how to shoot scenery.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
            However, I believe Speilberg is unrivalled. I know it's hip to deride the commercially successful and to champion some avant garde European but from story to screen, feel to look, and the ability to tug and push emotions, I go for Spielberg over Kurosawa, Kubrick, Bergman, Truffaut everytime.
            It's not about being "hip". A lot of people genuinely prefer the work of any of those directors to Spielberg's; I certainly do. And in terms of commercial success, Kurosawa was the closest thing to Spielberg Japan has ever had. Kubrick and Hitchcock were also very successful. So is not about snobism either.

Of course Kubrick and Spielberg are very different. I wish we got to see Kubrick's A.I. instead of Spielberg's, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
              I agree with Gilliam, but I'd also counter that Spielberg knows how to direct actors. Kubrick knew how to shoot scenery.
              Kubrick achieved outstanding performances from his actors too, but he didn't follow the set of conventions of commercial American cinema. He didn't tell the viewer how to feel about what's going on in the screen, he didn't believe that the lead character should be likeable for a story to work. He was a truly visual director, like Hichcock was in his day, that broke new ground both technically and artistically.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                Of course Kubrick and Spielberg are very different. I wish we got to see Kubrick's A.I. instead of Spielberg's, though.
                Agreed... and what a great way to look at it; what would the result be if they had made each other's films.
                Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Originally posted by tucsonray View Post
                  Agreed... and what a great way to look at it; what would the result be if they had made each other's films.
                  Well, it's not a great way to look at it: it was Kubrick's project, originally. And the fact that he looked for Spielberg to work together shows Kubrick held him in very high regard as a filmmaker too.

By the way, how do you English speakers refer to mise en scène? Do you use the French expresión, or have an English one? In Spanish we basically translate it ("puesta en escena").

Comment

It's not about being "hip". So is not about snobism either.
                    Yes it is - in the context I presented it. I wasn't talking about those who genuinely prefer other directors.
                    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                      Yes it is - in the context I presented it. I wasn't talking about those who genuinely prefer other directors.
                      Then who exactly were you talking about? Snobs?

Comment

Talk about apples and oranges. Sheesh.

Kubrick is much more of a mindfvcker. The Freud of cinema. And, since he preceded Steve, I'd give the reigns to him.
                        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Well, it's not a great way to look at it: it was Kubrick's project, originally. And the fact that he looked for Spielberg to work together shows Kubrick held him in very high regard as a filmmaker too.

By the way, how do you English speakers refer to mise en scène? Do you use the French expresión, or have an English one? In Spanish we basically translate it ("puesta en escena").
                          We tend to use the French phrase.

But I found Gilliam's response to Schindler's List illogical and meritless.

Just because the Holocaust was an obscenity doesn't mean that all other stories related to that incident are mutually exclusive of philosophical and artistic merit and, therefore, you cannot tell a story within that framework if it was successful because the Holocaust was humankind's failure.

Number two, sometimes even in the worst situations humans rise to the occasion and succeed in their endeavors.

To state artistically and historically that the actions of Oskar Schindler were not worth telling or are irrelevant rests on a false, incompetent assumption and makes no sense.

Comment

Why is this even under discussion?

Kubrick, by about 7 light years.

Comment

If based on fight experience. Reach advantage, and mixed martial arts knowledge. Hmmm Hard to say, but Spielberg is still alive so he wins by default.

If based on net worth, again it would go to spielberg.

If based on who had the greater effect on modern cinema... I guess Kubrick because he inspired Lucas, Spielberg, and Cameron. Who went on to do great things.

It's a draw!
                              http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X