No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubrick vs Speilberg

Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
    If based on who had the greater effect on modern cinema... I guess Kubrick because he inspired Lucas, Spielberg, and Cameron. Who went on to do great things.
    Totally irrelevant. That's like saying the Ford model T is the greatest car in history because it inspired every other car that came after it.

I say this not because I prefer Spielberg but because the logic is flawed.

The works of Spielberg and Cameron and Lucas have touched billions of people and cinema. Kubrick, much less so. How many Jaws pastiches have we seen over the years? How many shots of a large spaceship flying overhead - like in the opening scenes of Star Wars? And how many times has "I'll be back" been aped?

And these are just 3 examples. Kubrick may well have influenced these guys but that doesn't mean he's their only influence or that they didn't branch out on their own and develop their own style. To say so would be preposterous. They are their own people in their own right - otherwise the guy who influenced Kubrick is the real Master. Or the guy before that guy.

And back to sheer numbers - more people have been exposed to the guys you name than Kubrick so there's no comparison when you talk about influence.

Now if you said you think Kubrick is better then fair enough - as said I am not a Spielberg defender. I am just stating the logic used is flawed.
    M.A.G.A.

Comment

@Mortal_Remains: I'd say Spielberg is more influential than Kubrick, particularly Jaws and Raiders.

Those directors you mention may have liked Kubrick's work, but I can't see anything of Kubrick in his films, not the way one can see a lot of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress in Star Wars, for instance. That's a very clear influence in subject, tone, characters, the way it's shot and edited, transition wipes,... It's somewhere between homage and ripoff, almost

It's too bad nobody's followed on Kubrick's footsteps with regards to mise en scène. The only director I think came close to him in this aspect was Tarkovski, and sometimes Bergman. But, to me, Kubrick is still the undisputed master of mise en scène.

Comment

For me, JURASSIC PARK was a game changer in terms of vfx in movies. I think SAVING PRIVATE RYAN also changed the way battlefields were filmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
          Then who exactly were you talking about? Snobs?
          Yes. And people who want to appear superior, hip, cool, different.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
            @Mortal_Remains: I'd say Spielberg is more influential than Kubrick, particularly Jaws and Raiders.

Those directors you mention may have liked Kubrick's work, but I can't see anything of Kubrick in his films, not the way one can see a lot of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress in Star Wars, for instance.
            Zis!
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
              For me, JURASSIC PARK was a game changer in terms of vfx in movies. I think SAVING PRIVATE RYAN also changed the way battlefields were filmed.
              2001's special effects hold up even better than JP's.

Kubrick only made great films.

Spielberg made more crap than Kubrick made films.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You miss the monkey suits, then?

The best you can say is that 2001's effect hold up - not hold up better. Not hard to make model spaceships look realistic.

Kubrick only made great films.

Spielberg made more crap than Kubrick made films.
                Kubrick directed 16 films and produced 11. Speilberg directed 51 and produced 132. I'd like to see Kubrick's return rate with another 40 under his belt.

Besides, Spielberg hasn't made a crap film yet and Kubrick's The Shining isn't that good.
                And there's more criticaly acclaimed "great" films in Speilberg's resume than Kubrick's.

I know you have a rep for talking rubbish Bio but this entire post takes the biscuit.
                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                  +1

@SundownInRetreat: what does "Zis!" mean?

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                    Kubrick directed 16 films and produced 11. Speilberg directed 51 and produced 132. I'd like to see Kubrick's return rate with another 40 under his belt.
                    Can only judge them by what they've actually done.

Comment

Besides, Spielberg hasn't made a crap film yet and Kubrick's The Shining isn't that good.
                      And there's more criticaly acclaimed "great" films in Speilberg's resume than Kubrick's.
                      WHOA. Had to rub my eyes to make sure I was reading this correctly. I'm a BIG Spielberg fan but The Shining is TERRIFIC and I have one word for you -- ALWAYS.
                      ScriptGal
                      Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
                      Fifteen Years Development Experience
                      http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Both are in the top 1%.

Trying to nitpick which is better is
                        Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                          Both are in the top 1%.

Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Originally posted by ScriptGal View Post
                            WHOA. Had to rub my eyes to make sure I was reading this correctly. I'm a BIG Spielberg fan but The Shining is TERRIFIC and I have one word for you -- ALWAYS.
                            HOOK. 1941.
                            @MacBullitt

Comment

I'm done administering medicine to the dead.

Good day.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                                Both are in the top 1%.

Yup. Love them both.
                                @MacBullitt

Comment

Working...
                                X