Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to stay in LA?

If I was visiting LA for a working holiday, arranging meetings before arrival and hopefully whilst there also, what part of LA would be the 'right' part of LA to base myself?

Any recommendations gratefully received. Currently looking at AirBnBs.

(I would not be driving. Travel would be bus/metro/uber/legs)

Sorry if not the right section, wasn't sure where to put this one.
    Last edited by hairingtons; 11-25-2016, 07:57 AM.
    @hairingtons

Re: Where to stay in LA?

It depends on who you are setting up meetings with. There is not a centralized location for the studios or managers. Some of them are around Burbank, some are a 45 minute drive from there. Sometimes you go for lunch in Beverly Hills, etc...

I hate to say it, but in LA you are going to need a car.

Comment

I'm out there next week. Air BnB''s definitely the way to go. Even the dumpy motels want too much. Reconsider the car rental. They're really cheap, especially with air (purchased together).

Comment

I don't drive. So any car journeys will have to be Uber. And I will be hoping to set up meetings with managers. (Not fully thought through or planned yet, but I just got a realllllly good deal on a flight, so I thought why the hell not.)

Thanks for the replies so far.
        Last edited by hairingtons; 11-26-2016, 02:12 AM. Reason: typo
        @hairingtons

Comment

Hollywood, near one of the 101 exits (Sunset, Melrose, Highland, Hollywood Blvd).

Comment

Originally posted by hairingtons View Post
            If I was visiting LA for a working holiday, arranging meetings before arrival and hopefully whilst there also, what part of LA would be the 'right' part of LA to base myself?

Any recommendations gratefully received. Currently looking at AirBnBs.

(I would not be driving. Travel would be bus/metro/uber/legs)

Sorry if not the right section, wasn't sure where to put this one.
            @ hairingtons:

101 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401
            fairmont.com
            (310) 576-7777
            Uber/taxi/rental (for freedom of independent travel)

or

120 Colorado Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90401
            wyndhamsantamonicapier.com
            (310) 451-0676

or

150 E Angeleno Ave, Burbank, CA 91502
            ihg.com
            (818) 841-4770
            plenty to do 'round here within walking distance; be sure to go to the AMC Burbank 16 movie theater for a flicker or two (stadium seating!)

or

6700 San Fernando Rd, Glendale, CA 91201
            glencapri.com
            (818) 244-8434
            okay and decent place to flop if on a budget; used for a scene or two in some B-movies
            Last edited by Clint Hill; 11-26-2016, 05:22 AM.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Somewhere in this area.
              If you really like it you can have the rights
              It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Hollywood, near one of the 101 exits (Sunset, Melrose, Highland, Hollywood Blvd).
                Seems to be some decent AirBnBs that fit with this option. Cheers.

101 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401
                fairmont.com
                (310) 576-7777
                Tiger... really appreciate all of that, thanks. Might be a pricey for me by the looks of it.

Somewhere in this area.
                Cheers.
                @hairingtons

Comment

West Hollywood is pretty central to most places. Stayed there when I was last in LA, and will stay there again next time.

Air B'n'B is great value for money if you want to travel cheaply.

And you don't need a car. Uber is your friend.

EDIT: By "most places", I mean everywhere else you'll want to go. Unless you're only there for meetings and then retreating to your room.

Comment

Originally posted by evan_g View Post
                    West Hollywood is pretty central to most places. Stayed there when I was last in LA, and will stay there again next time.

Air B'n'B is great value for money if you want to travel cheaply.

And you don't need a car. Uber is your friend.

EDIT: By "most places", I mean everywhere else you'll want to go. Unless you're only there for meetings and then retreating to your room.
                    Yep, that makes sense, I'm leaning towards this kinda thinking.
                    @hairingtons

Comment

I stayed in Venice/Del Ray and Mar Vista in an AirB&B. I had meetings in Santa Monica, Burbank, Century City, Beverly Hills, Sunset Strip and Central L.A. I don't think there's anywhere you can stay that is near all the places where you'll have meetings, but the AirB&B I stayed at in Mar Vista was near the 405 so it was easy to get anywhere I needed to go. I rented a car so I'm not sure how that would work with Uber. It sounds pretty expensive.

Anytime I went near Hollywood/Sunset Strip I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic so I was glad I didn't stay in that area.

I loved staying in Venice and Mar Vista. I stayed once in Santa Monica, too, and loved that. I was not a fan of other sections of L.A.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                        Anytime I went near Hollywood/Sunset Strip I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic so I was glad I didn't stay in that area
                        those of us living in Hollywood (anywhere east of the 405) equally despise having to drive to the westside for any reason

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                          I stayed in Venice/Del Ray and Mar Vista in an AirB&B. I had meetings in Santa Monica, Burbank, Century City, Beverly Hills, Sunset Strip and Central L.A. I don't think there's anywhere you can stay that is near all the places where you'll have meetings, but the AirB&B I stayed at in Mar Vista was near the 405 so it was easy to get anywhere I needed to go. I rented a car so I'm not sure how that would work with Uber. It sounds pretty expensive.

Anytime I went near Hollywood/Sunset Strip I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic so I was glad I didn't stay in that area.

I loved staying in Venice and Mar Vista. I stayed once in Santa Monica, too, and loved that. I was not a fan of other sections of L.A.
                          Thanks for that.

I'm not much of a beach person, so I was kinda dismissing Venice / Santa Monica, perhaps more easily than I should.
                          @hairingtons

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                            those of us living in Hollywood (anywhere east of the 405) equally despise having to drive to the westside for any reason
                            +1. I love living in Hollywood and can't stand Santa Monica.

Comment

I lived in Hollywood for over a decade and then moved to the beach. I will never go back. So much more mellow and far less traffic. Whenever I go to meetings in Hollywood, I'm always happy to leave. If you're only in LA for a short while, sunsets over the ocean are not to be missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X