Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Bono

Default Re: Release form - standard or concerning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazart View Post
I would like to be able to feel the same. But what other choice do you have when you are trying to break through and these are the barriers that are everywhere?
I hear you. I clicked on link and company had more going for it than I thought.

Still, i know it stinks, but you can nicely ask about that first paragraph of contract and use of word -- identical -- or just cross out stuff you don't like. We had to do that with a few of the things we signed...

If you don't feel 100% comfortable ask. This isn't your only opportunity.

I would have to find old release forms to see if this is standard. It probably is.

I personally think email is all you need. They asked for it. You sent it. You know?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
I don't want to note something folks already know, but no one asks real reps to sign releases since there is a much greater guarantee the rep and the rep's clients aren't going to try to sue or do anything bad due to the fear of burning a relationship, of course. Goes both ways. If a company screws over a reputable/established agency's client(s) how many more projects will be sent to that company in the future? Not saying it hasn't ever happened, but generally not going to. Both sides need each other in the long run. Companies sort of expect a rep to monitor and manage their client.

People in the industry operate out of "fear" and no one wants to burn relationships they will need later on. But unknowns and people outside the business are wild cards with nothing to lose.

I've worked for producers and have asked a writer's "rep" to sign a release, if we didn't know them. Why? Because again, we weren't necessarily expecting an ongoing relationship with them and didn't want to deal with some outsider who'd go crazy, even though nothing wrong would ever be done. ICM, CAA, UTA, Gersh, William Morris (at the time), sure. Fine, no problem. We'd get scripts from them monthly. But not some rep or even lawyer from the mid-west we'd never heard of. Nothing against the mid-west, BTW.

If your rep is out here in LA and wants to continue to do business with companies, etc. then they are not going to be suing people left & right nor "allow" their clients to. Word would get out fast and no one would accept their submissions any more. Who needs that headache or worry? Two volcano movies. Two asteroid films. Multiple shark attacking people films. Werewolves and vampire projects galore. Etc.

Yes, get your material read. But still, be a little careful -- not paranoid -- with what companies you are dealing with who might try to pull a fast one on you. Not every company or deal leads to success, obviously.
TRUE.

But, hopefully I never have to sign one of these...

I guess I deal more with "Sorry. Can't read it, we have something similar in development."
Old 10-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
Klazart
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I hear you. I clicked on link and company had more going for it than I thought.

Still, i know it stinks, but you can nicely ask about that first paragraph of contract and use of word -- identical -- or just cross out stuff you don't like. We had to do that with a few of the things we signed...

If you don't feel 100% comfortable ask. This isn't your only opportunity.

I would have to find old release forms to see if this is standard. It probably is.

I personally think email is all you need. They asked for it. You sent it. You know?
Thanks. I guess that's an option for sure. I can say that I'm not comfortable with that word. And if they say no, then that's fair enough. Or I can sign it...
Klazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #14
Klazart
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckraker View Post
You just have to hold your nose and sign unless you think they seem shady.

As a writer trying to break in, your job is to get read, not create obstacles to your success.
Thanks. Fair point.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #15
Klazart
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
I don't want to note something folks already know, but no one asks real reps to sign releases since there is a much greater guarantee the rep and the rep's clients aren't going to try to sue or do anything bad due to the fear of burning a relationship, of course. Goes both ways. If a company screws over a reputable/established agency's client(s) how many more projects will be sent to that company in the future? Not saying it hasn't ever happened, but generally not going to. Both sides need each other in the long run. Companies sort of expect a rep to monitor and manage their client.

People in the industry operate out of "fear" and no one wants to burn relationships they will need later on. But unknowns and people outside the business are wild cards with nothing to lose.

I've worked for producers and have asked a writer's "rep" to sign a release, if we didn't know them. Why? Because again, we weren't necessarily expecting an ongoing relationship with them and didn't want to deal with some outsider who'd go crazy, even though nothing wrong would ever be done. ICM, CAA, UTA, Gersh, William Morris (at the time), sure. Fine, no problem. We'd get scripts from them monthly. But not some rep or even lawyer from the mid-west we'd never heard of. Nothing against the mid-west, BTW.

If your rep is out here in LA and wants to continue to do business with companies, etc. then they are not going to be suing people left & right nor "allow" their clients to. Word would get out fast and no one would accept their submissions any more. Who needs that headache or worry? Two volcano movies. Two asteroid films. Multiple shark attacking people films. Werewolves and vampire projects galore. Etc.

Yes, get your material read. But still, be a little careful -- not paranoid -- with what companies you are dealing with who might try to pull a fast one on you. Not every company or deal leads to success, obviously.
Thanks for the info. Its great to get some perspective though still leaves one weary.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #16
Bono

Quote:
Thanks. I guess that's an option for sure. I can say that I'm not comfortable with that word. And if they say no, then that's fair enough. Or I can sign it...
Never be afraid to ask. Or say I'm going to secure a rep and circle back and they can submit it on my behalf if they seem scared.

I think I may even have sent in a few scripts w/o releases back in day and they didn't notice. Probably not the best way to go, but maybe...

90% of the time just legal mojo trying to protect themselves from suing you. I don't think most places are trying to steal ideas and I believe it rarely happens. In fact that language is trying to say, you may think we stole it one day but we didn't really just ideas are in the air. I think that's what it's saying, but I'm a lawyer, so it's confusing.

However, do I think there are places that get a lot of ideas and maybe aren't afraid to "borrow concepts" -- I think those exist.

But Toronto is a pretty big film town and if you can find real actors and directors linked with those projects who are repped by big 4 agencies, I'm going to have to assume this place is legit.

They seem to be into Canadian version of lifetime movies -- xmas movies too. Is your project perfect for them?

Are you based in Canada?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
GucciGhostXXX

I've sent sh!t recently (couple'a months ago) to producers with no release. To be fair I knew these dudes. Just saying, if they trust/know you, doubt they ask for one.

I think on the low end there may be some borrowers as well.

Having said that, I'm not super convinced _AA didn't slip my chef script to another client. Same agent sells 2 shows about chefs back to back? Mine wasn't mentioned to the other client? Hmmmm... seems fishy.

Furthermore... did they outdo me? Bet not. Yeah, arrogant, I get it. No, I never read their script to find out. Read about it in the trades and hated their version.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #18
Klazart
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Never be afraid to ask. Or say I'm going to secure a rep and circle back and they can submit it on my behalf if they seem scared.

I think I may even have sent in a few scripts w/o releases back in day and they didn't notice. Probably not the best way to go, but maybe...

90% of the time just legal mojo trying to protect themselves from suing you. I don't think most places are trying to steal ideas and I believe it rarely happens. In fact that language is trying to say, you may think we stole it one day but we didn't really just ideas are in the air. I think that's what it's saying, but I'm a lawyer, so it's confusing.

However, do I think there are places that get a lot of ideas and maybe aren't afraid to "borrow concepts" -- I think those exist.

But Toronto is a pretty big film town and if you can find real actors and directors linked with those projects who are repped by big 4 agencies, I'm going to have to assume this place is legit.

They seem to be into Canadian version of lifetime movies -- xmas movies too. Is your project perfect for them?

Are you based in Canada?
Yep. I'm based in Toronto. They posted on the local Facebook group asking for horror/sci-fi samples.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #19
Klazart
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I've sent sh!t recently (couple'a months ago) to producers with no release. To be fair I knew these dudes. Just saying, if they trust/know you, doubt they ask for one.

I think on the low end there may be some borrowers as well.

Having said that, I'm not super convinced _AA didn't slip my chef script to another client. Same agent sells 2 shows about chefs back to back? Mine wasn't mentioned to the other client? Hmmmm... seems fishy.

Furthermore... did they outdo me? Bet not. Yeah, arrogant, I get it. No, I never read their script to find out. Read about it in the trades and hated their version.
Hollywood has created this myth that there is no such thing as an original idea. I think that's total bull. It's possible that a concept in isolation is not unique. But figuring out how to make a concept connect with the world and with what you're trying to say and devising the story around that, that comes from your soul and is intimately tied to who you are as a person.

I mean are laser sword wielding superhero monks an original idea? If you made a movie about them would Disney sue?

And concepts are one thing but talking about having things in their script that are identical to your work?
Old 10-01-2019, 05:13 PM   #20
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Hollywood has created this myth that there is no such thing as an original idea. I think that's total bull. It's possible that a concept in isolation is not unique. But figuring out how to make a concept connect with the world and with what you're trying to say and devising the story around that, that comes from your soul and is intimately tied to who you are as a person.

I mean are laser sword wielding superhero monks an original idea? If you made a movie about them would Disney sue?

And concepts are one thing but talking about having things in their script that are identical to your work?

YUP!