Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lack of diversity in the hood.

kinterboy: "Since you brought it up, I'd love someone else to tell me why 90% of the most famous Vine personalities (yes, I realize how ridiculous that phrase sounds) are males."

Actually, you brought it up, but at least you realize how ridiculous it is.

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    The fact that anyone would go out of their way to quantify the genetic make-up of the nominee pool, even if it was done with the best of intentions, is a little offensive to me.
    What?! Someone did this? Well, you say it's a fact. I should think the nominees themselves would be most offended, feel violated, and wonder when their DNA sample was collected and tested.

Comment

No offense, you seem like a nice guy, but you are twisting my words around all to hell.

I'm not saying women need to try harder. I'm saying they need to try at all.

This is right from Greg Beal's mouth:

You can't tell me that women are under-represented in spec sales if there is no evidence to prove they're TRYING to sell specs. I'm willing to help fight for a good cause, but there's nothing here to fight, and it's undermining the causes that deserve it.
      Apologies for giving off the impression of twisting your words. I'm trying to be fair to you and not adversarial.

But those numbers don't exist in a vaccum. It's like the engineering and tech point I was making earlier...the reason we don't see a lot of women is not just because women don't try those fields, but we don't foster a culture where women think that's a plausible avenue for themselves. Barack Obama didn't see a black president before to believe he could be president....but that doesn't mean black boys don't need to see a black president to believe that's a possibility for them, whether or not they want to be president. It's about letting people know they will be accepted for who they are and will be rewarded for talent, hard work, and authenticity. This is far from the reality on the major studio level. Interracial relationships are still a thing.

Lena Dunham gets credit for positive body image and having a normal looking girl as a protagonist...but still she was a daughter of artists, went to an art school with children of artists. So she was in a unique position of privledge that helped foster an atmosphere for her to be who she is.

There are very few female show runners/directors. Shonda Rhimes ascension is not evidence that if you just go after it that it will work out. She's the exception that proves the rule. Part of the reason Nicholl's sees those type of numbers is because we're not telling girls to be writers and directors. We're telling them to be actresses. Some of course will pursue it anyway.

American Sniper just isn't that great of a movie lol Cooper is great in it though. It says nothing new and ignores a lot of complexities of war that films like Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, which also received charges of inaccuracy, dealt with. Pulling out that one article and then guessing an extropolation that all poor reviews were of that nature is disingenious.

Selma had that controversy regarding how LBJ was portrayed and historical accuracy as well. Really, the culture would be more even when a black film with a 73% can still get 6 noms and a best actor look. This would never happen as evidenced by them getting a 99 and getting squeezed out by Cooper who didn't even earn a Golden Globe nomination.

I hear you on Lego, it's stupid. But I think the Oscars are not an accurate barometer of anything artistic. David o russel has more nominations/wins than Paul Thomas Anderson and Anderson is a far, far superior talent. The Palm D'or is the most prestigious award that is also the most artistically ambitious. Nothing is perfect but they aren't over run by politics and year long campaigns like the Oscars are.
      Last edited by HarryDee; 01-25-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

In regards to Ellison, she has really made a commitment more to high level autuer's like Anderson, Linklater, Woody Allen, Spike Jonze, to have an avenue to big money without having to deal with studio politics.

Don't know if she would call it unresolvable though. Spring Breakers had a majority female cast, and she's worked with both Katheryn Bigelow and Nancy Meyers so she is supporting female directors.

And those films have had big female talent in major roles, Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain, Anne Hathaway, Scarlett Johansson.

Comment

Since you brought it up, I'd love someone else to tell me why 90% of the most famous Vine personalities (yes, I realize how ridiculous that phrase sounds) are males.

Since it's something people do voluntary for fun (and free) there's obviously no barrier to entry. Everyone has a cell phone.

Why aren't girls out there supporting other girls and their videos?
          Yes, but half of those Vines are of Kate Upton.

In any event, I think your (implied) point is a good one.

Comment

Working...
          X