No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Cloverfield"

John August loved it.

I've yet to see it; but looking forward to it. It's so hard to read this thread without coming across too many spoilers.
    -- Another Writer

Comment

The party may be over when this beast comes to town, but the fright inducing look of the creature lives on from the creepy people-sucking underbelly to the swath of parasites the beast lets loose to hunt citizens of the 'Big Apple.' The figure also comes with two interchangeable heads, each depicting one of the Monster's moods: calm or agitated. The head of the Statue of Liberty, the iconic image which made the film's much buzzed about and analyzed trailer so eerie and intriguing, is also included.
      Creepy people-sucking underbelly? Did I miss that part?

Comment

My kids loved it. So there.

http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

anotherwriter,

that avatar gets me all the time. brilliant.
          I've played poker long enough to understand odds don't mean sh1t - Seamus Bronzeberg

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherWriter View Post
            John August loved it.

... Well, good for him, but I in a few major aspects beg to differ. On a side note, check out this about the real camera that was used for the film.

Comment

Originally posted by bierhound View Post
              anotherwriter,

that avatar gets me all the time. brilliant.
              Glad you like it. It's all in the hips and wrist:

Just-like-that... Oh ye-eah... Oh ye-eah... Yeah-yeah... Mm-hmm... That's right. Work it...
              -- Another Writer

Comment

The party may be over when this beast comes to town, but the fright inducing look of the creature lives on from thecreepy people-sucking underbelly to the swath of parasites the beast lets loose to hunt citizens of the 'Big Apple.' The figure also comes with two interchangeable heads, each depicting one of the Monster's moods: calm or agitated. The head of the Statue of Liberty, the iconic image which made the film's much buzzed about and analyzed trailer so eerie and intriguing, is also included.
                Thanks, but I'm saving up my toy money for that kewl Osama bin Laden/Hijacked airliner-WTC playset!

See though, that's a strange interpretation that those little monsters are 'parasites' ... I thought they were baby monsters, clutching to their Mama like baby possums, dropping off to feed.

Would you travel across outer space and remember to bring mere 'parasites' with you? I think not! Those is Mama's baybees! What say you?!
                sigpic
                "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

While I don't think there was a whole lot on display here apart from the FX, I was at least glad that they at least tried to make the characters resemble normal people, without going the cookie cuuter root where there is a bitchy one, a hot-head, a nerd, etc.
                  Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Didn't read all 13 pages but...

I bought my ticket for the film, scoffed at the dizziness warnings (what kind of idiot gets dizzy at a MOVIE), then proceeded to get nauseatingly dizzy halfway through the film. Serves me right, I guess. /shrug.

As for the film itself, it wasn't quite satisfying. I wanted more monster and more character development. Overall, it seemed pretty shallow. But who am I to complain? I was just glad it was over so my stomach could start to settle.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by bobmartin66
                      I think you nailed it.

Over time, as the novelty wears off, that's how I think this film will be seen.

Bob
                      And I think the novelty will fade much faster than expected with no less than four other films coming out this year using the "POV" convention (Diary of the Dead, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, Quarantine, and Paranormal Activity).

It'll be interesting, though, to see what each of these films can do within the boundaries of the convention. To "Cloverfield"'s credit, (possible spoiler? If you can call it that) I thought it was clever how they set-up and told the story in the same tape by having the monster attack being taped over existing material.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post
                        To "Cloverfield"'s credit, (possible spoiler? If you can call it that) I thought it was clever how they set-up and told the story in the same tape by having the monster attack being taped over existing material.
                        That's a lot of what sold me on the movie, how Rob and Beth's history kept ghosting through.

It's also a good example of why I disagree that the movie suffers from a lack of character development. The development is there, you just have to read it instead of having it spoonfed through dialogue.

Jason is the only character that I felt was ill-defined, but to a certain degree I feel that was part of the character in itself, that he was almost invisible when in the same room as his brother.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                          That's a lot of what sold me on the movie, how Rob and Beth's history kept ghosting through.

It's also a good example of why I disagree that the movie suffers from a lack of character development. The development is there, you just have to read it instead of having it spoonfed through dialogue.

Again, I'll have to somewhat respectfully agree to disagree there.

Here's yet another negative review for the film which certainly at least proves not everyone is feeling all flowers-and-candy for the movie as well as just another interview with the director and some of the cast members here and here.

For those who didn't catch either "easter egg" in the movie, click here.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                            Again, I'll have to somewhat respectfully agree to disagree there.

Here's yet another negative review for the film which certainly at least proves not everyone is feeling all flowers-and-candy for the movie as well as just another interview with the director and some of the cast members here and here.
                            LOL No doubt about it J, you love to kill the party.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                              LOL No doubt about it J, you love to kill the party.

No. I just want to make sure the other side of the coin is present as well seeing as how most on here have been non-stop-praising the movie (which is totally fine and warranted if that's how they feel, needless to say).

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                                No. I just want to make sure the other side of the coin is present as well seeing as how most on here have been non-stop-praising the movie (which is totally fine and warranted if that's how they feel, needless to say).
                                But still, you crack me up, dude.
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X