Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Greenlight Season 4

Watched it the other night. It's not a bad film, I actually enjoyed the acting quite a bit. I'm pretty much an action junkie, and I still never felt like turning it off-- might have to do with enjoying the series?

The matching cuts for the night time transition were probably the most jarring issue, he was right to be concerned. The twilight shot was fine but then immediately cut to a very dark 'night' shot.

Tone was a bit confusing-- I mean the father kind of lit up at the end, then it just disappeared the next morning.

It has sort of a tragic ending, like who wants to be caught in a trap like that?

I think Jason got a lot of things he wanted out of the deal. I mean if you watch his scene submission, the film kind of makes sense to me.

I pretty much agreed with everything Effie said and have a lot of respect for her as a producer. Same with Mark.

And I hope to one day meet Len Amato-- think he's a cool cat. Would love to work with him.

I think the toughest part was that he [Mann] didn't demonstrate a whole lot of 'flexibility,' and that was too bad-- but he has a vision and knows what he wants. Of course we don't know the full story, but I really enjoyed the series and would have loved to binge watch it instead.

I think he did a good job especially for a first time director. Not everyone seemed especially happy, in the end.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Not a good movie, but not the train wreck others made it out to be, IMO. Had a couple laughs. Didn't feel a strong urge to turn it off, I was very curious where it was going and how it would end. But part of that was probably because of my investment in the series.

The car crash was as bad as Jason feared. Instead of half assing the stunt, maybe they should have just written in another type of disaster. It didn't *have* to be a car crash with a completely random stranger.

I thought the whacky tone of the story was way too much at odds with the drama and heart they tried to inject. It took itself too seriously at times given and couldn't decide whether they wanted to make us laugh or make us care. Not that you can't do both, but it's tough with this particular tone. It's also like they couldn't decide if the movie was truly about the brother's relationship or Fiona. What's the main plot and what's the subplot? I have no idea, because both were equally weak that favored constant repetition over a slow evolution. Every scene went on too long, probably because of:

1. It was improv heavy
      2. Low budget required less scenes
      3. There just wasn't much story to tell

Ultimately I think the biggest problems came from the page. It felt like a first draft of a script written in a weekend, and that's not too far from the reality. It had several rushed drafts, then was partially rewritten in a sense by all the improv.

For a TV movie, I don't think it was bad concept, though. If I were given this script with a couple weeks to work on a rewrite, I would have felt hopeful and excited (though obviously don't know if I could have pulled it off). I think there's a movie there, somewhere, that fits this scale. They didn't really get it, but it wasn't offensively awful either.

Comment

I just caught it last night. I really can't help but wonder what the movie would have been had they had time to develop a better script.

I love HBO. HBO fills my Sundays. I'm hoping next time they do this, they factor in however many weeks a real rewrite could take.

When they pick up with the next episode - just throw up a title card:
        "8 or 12 weeks later" and have those production dates locked in.

In the end this will benefit everyone. Ultimately I think it's pretty brave of everyone involved, Jason Mann and Effie, to put themselves out there. Both are taking a lot of hits.

Btw, Bruce Davison. What a great actor.

Comment

Working...
        X